Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Painting muffler...

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
manjestic

Painting muffler...
Original Message   Dec 3, 2011 11:08 pm
I have paint that is good to 500 degrees F, intermittently.  I imagine this is not sufficient.  I need something that will handle higher temps, yes?  What paint have folks used for their snow blower mufflers?
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Re: Painting muffler...
Reply #1   Dec 3, 2011 11:28 pm
POR15 puts out a special hight temp coating that will do it.  Just google por15.

Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #2   Dec 3, 2011 11:31 pm
Heres the link - some go up to 1400 degrees.

http://www.por15.com/High-Temperature-Paints/products/8/

stresst

Reply #3   Dec 4, 2011 12:32 am
You need to go to the auto parts store and buy the paint they use to paint heads, manifolds, engine blocks etc.

TORO 826OXE
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #4   Dec 5, 2011 9:29 am
Clean any bare or rusted surfaces with steel wool, then wipe it with vinegar to remove dust and dirt, the spray it with BBQ black paint.  The Vinegar helps the paint stick to a metal surface.  I've done this many times, it works great.
bus708

Reply #5   Dec 5, 2011 12:29 pm
just use hedder paint
carlb

Reply #6   Dec 5, 2011 1:16 pm
I have always used header paint and it holds very well on small engine mufflers.
RedOctobyr

Reply #7   Dec 5, 2011 2:25 pm
Without intending to derail manjestic's thread, how do you need to prep the muffler first? I have a Tecumseh which must have spent a fair part of its life outside. The whole muffler is rusty (by contrast, my other Tecumseh 8hp's muffler is pretty much all still silver). Do you just use the rust-treatment type products first, like naval jelly or similar? Looking at mine makes me think I wouldn't want to do something like use a wire wheel too hard on it, or I might end up with just a pile of metal bits :) I don't know that it would hold up to aggressive prep work. To New_Yorker's point, does it need to be shiny again before you paint it? Or is getting the loose rust off it sufficient? Thanks, and sorry for interjecting, manjestic.
carlb

Reply #8   Dec 5, 2011 3:00 pm
The cleaner the better but it doesn't have to be spotless.  If the part is too fragile to use a wire brush on then you need to get a new muffler.  A drill powered wire wheel should get it clean enough to paint.
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42