Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Setting skid shoes help.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
MIkecr250

Setting skid shoes help.
Original Message   Nov 23, 2011 5:30 pm
Does anyone have any experiance with setting the skid shoes on a honda snowblower. I purchased the commercial skid kit and I was wondering how you set it. I have a 1000 ft stone driveway and I want to keep about a half inch of snow on top of the driveway. Do I have both front and rear skids touching the ground together or set different?  Thanks for any advice.
Replies: 6 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
MIkecr250

Re: Setting skid shoes help.
Reply #6   Nov 25, 2011 5:06 pm
New_Yorker wrote:
The Commercial Skid Shoe kit for the HS 928 TAS machine warns NOT to use the weld nuts on the hood for mounting, and to drill holes to mount the skid shoes using the template provided.   I'd be surprised if that were any different on the next size larger machine ou own.  The weld nut will break under stress evidently, and have so often the kit I have says don't use them.  I also notice the boilts they supplied were too large for the weld nuts anyway, though I swapped mine out for stainless steel.
Hi Guys, The commercial skids are not available for the 1336. If you look closely in the picts the auger housing was changed. It's not the same as previous years models including the 1132. I talked to a Honda rep on the phone about it. Also, the rear skids are different than last years as well and they can be used up front on the sides. After looking it over, the housing looks to to be beefed up from previous years. My thinking is this. If the rear shoes which are about the same size of last years commercial kit can be moved up front, than the commercial kit should be fine mounted on those existing weld nuts.
royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #7   Nov 25, 2011 6:22 pm
Honda problems  !     Does it ever end?

aa335

Reply #8   Nov 25, 2011 7:09 pm
royster wrote:
Honda problems  !     Does it ever end?

Depends on when the loose nut behind the steering wheel gets tightened.
stresst

Reply #9   Nov 27, 2011 4:56 pm
May I ask why you want to leave 1/2 of snow? I am thinking about buying a SS unit cause I dont like how my two stage leaves snow behind.......I can get 26" of snow and buy the next afternoon I am down to dry pavement! IMO its only a matter of time before someone falls.....

TORO 826OXE
RedOctobyr

Reply #10   Nov 27, 2011 5:22 pm
I am also curious. Maybe this is due to the intricacies of a track-drive unit. But on my 2-stage, with wheels, I've always set the scraper to touch the ground. The last time I replaced the skid shoes and scraper bar, I set the shoes just slightly off the ground (put thin shims under them, while adjusting everything on a flat surface). That way I was guaranteed the scraper bar would be scraping. It would wear the bar down slightly, then the shoes would touch.

I have a smooth paved driveway. If I had gravel, etc, I would of course have to set it differently. I could see leaving 1/4", 1/2," under the scraper bar with a surface like that. But for something smooth, without fear of sucking something into the augers, wouldn't you want the scraper bar riding on the ground, to clear as low as possible? At least for a wheeled unit?
MIkecr250

Reply #11   Nov 27, 2011 6:18 pm
stresst wrote:
May I ask why you want to leave 1/2 of snow? I am thinking about buying a SS unit cause I dont like how my two stage leaves snow behind.......I can get 26" of snow and buy the next afternoon I am down to dry pavement! IMO its only a matter of time before someone falls.....

My driveway is 1000ft gravel
FullThrottle

Reply #12   Nov 29, 2011 4:30 am
MIkecr250 wrote:
My driveway is 1000ft gravel

I would put the bucket as high as you could get it for the first couple uses. Then drive your car/truck on it as needed. Get a good base set up get that gravel froze in there good with some on top. Before setting up to leave the 1/2 inch for the rest of the winter. You can set it up for a regular hard surface drive once you get a base set up.  1000 ft going to be a very good work out with a small walk behind
Replies: 6 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42