Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Frankenblower...

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
slinger

Frankenblower...
Original Message   Nov 18, 2011 9:25 pm
If you could take the best parts/designs/features from different 2 stage snow throwers and create the best of the best, what would you use?  Who's engine? Impeller? Chute design? Drive system? Steering? Chute controls? Auger and Drive controls? Frame? Accessories? Etc?  I know most of us have favorites but I have to admit I find that I like certain things about certain machines.  I don't really mean that this has to be parts that would actually bolt together, just kind of a best-of-all design concept.  And don't just say brand or model xxx is perfect just the way it is.  If you feel that way that's cool.  But this question is not meant for that .  We're trying to take all of our experience and build something that hasn't been done yet.  Lets stick to 2 stage with wheels in an average bucket size to kind of limit the scope of this project. ( I know...I've got too much time on my hands while waiting for snow!)
This message was modified Nov 18, 2011 by slinger
Replies: 20 - 29 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Steve_Cebu

Re: Frankenblower...
Reply #20   Nov 21, 2011 8:15 am
Shryp wrote:
I have heard of those things.  The secret is to turn them on before it snows.  Then the snow melts as it falls.  Some are electric and some use hot water / steam in a loop through the ground.

I'm sure they are cool to use but up here with all the snow we get. I'd worry more about a flood than blowing the snow to where it can melt in peace slowly over a couple of months. For places that don't get a ton of snow it sounds ideal.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #21   Nov 21, 2011 9:15 am
Steve Cebu, the raindrains away no problem, so the melted snow would as well. No Biggie.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #22   Nov 21, 2011 11:18 am
There is a lot more going on in the winter as all your drains would have to be heated or on really cold days and we get a lot of them it's going to freeze up in a big way. Then the water will back up as it won't have anywhere to go. So if you did get a system like this you'd need heated drains and someplace for the water to runoff in case the drains froze up.

In the summer it is a non-issue but when it's 0 degrees or colder that water will freeze up mighty quick.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
blumonster

Reply #23   Nov 21, 2011 12:03 pm
New_Yorker wrote:
Enough money to install heating coils under the driveway and all the walks, and heat them all up so I never have ice or snow to worry about.  They would turn on automatically the moment a moisture sensor registered the precipitation when the temp was 32 degrees farenheit or lower.  I'd be in bed, with an electric mattress pad and retired.

It would be porhibitively costly.I know ground heating is around for a couple of decades, it works very well at residential properties but I have not heard this idea in practice.

But instead of snow blowers we might use torch blowers with LPG tanks behind, melting the snow. However when it is freezing cold, melted snow will turn into ice as Steve_Cebu said. :D

JoelKlein

I wonder how a 2021 snow blower will look like...

Reply #24   Nov 21, 2011 2:53 pm
Back to my idea, let's use Lasor to vaporize it!

Toro 1028 OXE
Steve_Cebu

Reply #25   Nov 21, 2011 8:57 pm
JoelKlein wrote:
Back to my idea, let's use Lasor to vaporize it!

If you do that can I come over and watch? I want to see a high kilowatt laser melt snow on top of a driveway that will liquify at 200 degrees.

royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #26   Nov 22, 2011 12:18 pm
I would take a Husqvarna 16530 EXL.   (  30 inch, Briggs 1650 engine , hydrostatic drive, power steering and heated grips, solid easily operated controls)    No changes required

aa335

Reply #27   Nov 22, 2011 12:39 pm
slinger wrote:
  And don't just say brand or model xxx is perfect just the way it is.  If you feel that way that's cool.  But this question is not meant for that . 
iLikeOrange

Reply #28   Nov 22, 2011 1:25 pm
I thought this may be an interesting thread. Mostly a waste of my time.

O

slinger

Reply #29   Nov 22, 2011 11:14 pm
iLikeOrange wrote:
I thought this may be an interesting thread. Mostly a waste of my time.

O

You and a couple others gave some great ideas but some folks got a little too silly and dragged it down...
This message was modified Nov 22, 2011 by slinger
Replies: 20 - 29 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42