Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Looking for a reco for a snow blower for my new deck

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
TonsOfSteel

Looking for a reco for a snow blower for my new deck
Original Message   Nov 18, 2011 2:13 pm
New Hampshire winter. 34'x12' deck. Own a big Ariens for the the driveway, looking for an alternate for the deck. Will need to clear deck, roof rake pulled down roof snow, and clear again. Prefer gas powered. Thanks
Replies: 3 - 12 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
TonsOfSteel

Re: Looking for a reco for a snow blower for my new deck
Reply #3   Nov 18, 2011 2:46 pm
Nah, my steel is a little rusted.
TonsOfSteel

Reply #4   Nov 18, 2011 2:56 pm
Don't seem to be available. http://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Toro-38182-Snow-Thrower/p2353.html Any suggestions from here? http://www.snowblowersdirect.com/quick_search.php Thanks
aa335

Reply #5   Nov 18, 2011 3:42 pm
You may be able to find remaining ones at local Ace Hardware stores.  If not, check craigslist listing for used ones.

They're really simple, not much go wrong on them, and easy to fix.
borat

Reply #6   Nov 18, 2011 4:57 pm
I agree.  A nice SS machine would work well on the deck.  Even something like an older Craftsman machine with the 139cc Tecumseh two cycle engine would work well.  Just do what I did and  put a piece of string on the governor lever to jack the revs up.   Then watch the snow fly!!
RedOctobyr

Reply #7   Nov 18, 2011 7:16 pm
I know you're looking for gas. And with your size deck, I would be too.

Just figured I would mention that I bought an older Craigslist Toro Powercurve 1800 electric for deck duty. My deck is probably more like 15'x12', something like that, and I have to carry the blower up the ~8' of stairs from the ground (so light weight is nice). I got a chance to use it last winter. I don't need to tell you that last winter in New England was a tough one. Even my little electric Toro did a great job. No muss, no fuss, as they say, and it did well even in the serious storms. I just pushed it slower for wet/deep snow, it still churned through. It sure beat shoveling the deck off every time, that's for sure! Caveat- I don't have to rake the snow off my roof, so it was dealing with un-packed snow.

So I'm sure the gas ones would be an even better solution. My electric has certainly earned its $25 already.
borat

Reply #8   Nov 18, 2011 7:47 pm
Yeah, the packed snow off the roof thing would put more demand on a machine.  That's for sure.  Something gas powered would definitely be better.   All the more reason to look at an SS machine with the most available power.  Or, as I said, get yourself a used Craftsman/Murray/MTD  with a two cycle engine and jack up the revs.  They will move some serious snow if you spin them. 
TonsOfSteel

Reply #9   Nov 19, 2011 7:45 am
Thanks for the replies. Can the SS machines be adjusted to prevent damage to the deck? I do have 5/4 wood down, I didn't like any of the fake wood options....
FrankMA

Reply #10   Nov 19, 2011 8:30 am
I use a single stage on my 12' x 40' deck with Trex decking and it works very well. Most SS machines have an adjustable scrapper bar on the bottom of the bucket which allows the operator to make height adjustments but the paddles are rubber anyway and don't cause any damage. The sides of the bucket are typically about a 1/2" to 1" off the deck with a new scrapper bar set at its lowest adjusted setting.
This message was modified Nov 19, 2011 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
borat

Reply #11   Nov 19, 2011 12:29 pm
I used to put the Toro Power Shovel to work on my 14' x 16' deck.   Now that I have the MTD SS machine sitting around, I'll just park it on the deck for the winter. 
longboat

Reply #12   Nov 21, 2011 11:08 am
I use a snow scoop similar to this:

http://www.acecalumet.com/snowtool.html

I can clear my 48'x10' deck in about 10 minutes, pushing it over the side where it falls 8.5' to the ground.  Then anothe 10 minutes cleaning up the fallen snow below the deck and relocating it to the rest of the backyard.  Then 5 minutes to clear the patio, and another 5-10 to clear out the courtyard and sidewalk around the house.  Works great on packed snow and EOD stuff.

If I don't feel like getting the 2-stage blower out, I can clean my 2400sf driveway almost as fast with this scoop as I can with the machine.  I'm a little winded afterward, but no sore back.  It's actually easier on the body than man-handling that craftsman mtd 928 around.  It's a great workout - if I wear anything more than a sweatshirt over my regular clothes at 15 degrees Fahrenheit, I start to work up a sweat, so dress lightly and you'll be comfortable!

Replies: 3 - 12 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42