Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > does this look right?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
JoelKlein

I wonder how a 2021 snow blower will look like...

does this look right?
Original Message   Nov 14, 2011 9:08 pm
My brand new Toro 1028 OXE. I noticed a open end of a pipe. on the right side its open and the left side its closed take a look on the picture

and here its closed

does it belong like that?

This message was modified Nov 14, 2011 by JoelKlein

Toro 1028 OXE
Replies: 27 - 36 of 36Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: does this look right?
Reply #27   Nov 16, 2011 10:56 am
JoelKlein wrote:
Whats the purpose of the hole all together?? for adding oil, they can't put in oil via the dip stick?

You can grossly overfill with oil using the dipstick hole.  And when you overfill, you have to suck out the excess through the same hole, or open up the drain plug.

It's just one of those "poka yoke" technique.  Idiot proofing, mistake proofing.  Most Honda small engines have this, you cannot overfill very much, excess oil will just spill out the hole.
aa335

Reply #28   Nov 16, 2011 10:58 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Well they drilled and tapped both sides of my engine and they only use that engine on the 1028 model or only did. My guess is Toro has been slowly changing their specs over time. Now of course they are using a completely redesigned engine not a Briggs & Stratton engine. So it will probably be more specific to certain Toro models.

My guess its more of a cost reduction.  One less hole to drill and tap.  One less plastic cap.  US Design engineers like to built in these extras into the product in keep the cost reduction engineers busy.      Their bonus is tied to the cost reduction $.

Honda engineers gives you both drilled/tapped hole and a cap.  They figured it was a lot more simple to deal with one less part number for inventory maintenance and documentation overheads from the get go.  Thus saving money. 

Everybody is reducing costs in different ways. 
This message was modified Nov 16, 2011 by aa335
Steve_Cebu

Reply #29   Nov 16, 2011 11:27 am
aa335 wrote:
My guess its more of a cost reduction.  One less hole to drill and tap.  One less plastic cap.  US Design engineers like to built in these extras into the product in keep the cost reduction engineers busy.      Their bonus is tied to the cost reduction $.

Honda engineers gives you both drilled/tapped hole and a cap.  They figured it was a lot more simple to deal with one less part number for inventory maintenance and documentation overheads from the get go.  Thus saving money. 

Everybody is reducing costs in different ways. 

Well I'm glad I have the option of both oil drain holes.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
jrtrebor

Reply #30   Nov 16, 2011 1:33 pm
Actually those are not drain holes those are fill holes.    The drain holes have a plug in them with a square head.  Located lower down just behind the fill plug.
You can see one in the second photo just above the arrow.
This message was modified Nov 16, 2011 by jrtrebor
aa335

Reply #31   Nov 16, 2011 2:49 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Well I'm glad I have the option of both oil drain holes.

You may have to turn your snowblower upside down to fill them then. 
JoelKlein

I wonder how a 2021 snow blower will look like...

Reply #32   Nov 16, 2011 5:07 pm
not briggs, nor toro declared any were in the documentation what does caps are... Im going to call up briggs tomorrow and ask them... mean while take a look at these great clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDkabArjCQU

Toro 1028 OXE
aa335

Reply #33   Nov 16, 2011 5:20 pm
JoelKlein wrote:
not briggs, nor toro declared any were in the documentation what does caps are... Im going to call up briggs tomorrow and ask them... mean while take a look at these great clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDkabArjCQU

I wouldn't worry about it.  The cap cannot be put in the wrong hole.   The other blind hole has no threads and the cap will not fit or screw into.

Funny video, good ole country fun.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #34   Nov 16, 2011 6:15 pm
aa335 wrote:
You may have to turn your snowblower upside down to fill them then. 

Oh noes!

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Steve_Cebu

Reply #35   Nov 16, 2011 6:17 pm
jrtrebor wrote:
Actually those are not drain holes those are fill holes.    The drain holes have a plug in them with a square head.  Located lower down just behind the fill plug.
You can see one in the second photo just above the arrow.

You could be right, I tend to not work on my own machine but I know those are the oil holes. The other plugs could be the drains and I have one on each side as well. Somehow I don't think draining the oil is a big issue.

jrtrebor

Reply #36   Nov 16, 2011 8:38 pm

Replies: 27 - 36 of 36Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42