Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Quiet Snow blower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bus708

Quiet Snow blower
Original Message   Nov 13, 2011 9:10 pm
Has anyone tried to quiet down there snow blower?  My Techumseh  Hmsk 80 is registering 101 db .  I ware ear muffs but I want to be nice to my neighbors . Any suggestions?
Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
bus708

Re: Quiet Snow blower
Reply #5   Nov 14, 2011 6:16 am
Shryp wrote:
I agree with switching to a newer OHV engine.  They are quite a bit quieter and don't vibrate as much so you don't get the resonating noise from loose controls and whatever else rattling.

I would love to change engines but i.m limited and lost. My crank rod to move my shoot is mounted to the top of my engine. If change engines other than another Techumseh then my shoot rod support will have no support and thus will not work. 
MN_Runner

Reply #6   Nov 14, 2011 7:53 am
I know shoveling is very effective at cutting noise so it is an option.  I do not love my neighbors that much.
blumonster

Reply #7   Nov 14, 2011 2:03 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
I know shoveling is very effective at cutting noise so it is an option.  I do not love my neighbors that much.

LOL

I shoveled last 2  years.It cuts noise, yes.It Made it easier for me to fall asleep after hours of shoveling at night.I could feel the effects of shoveling the next day.A couple of times our neighbors helped us.

This is my first year with snowblowers.

MN_Runner

Reply #8   Nov 14, 2011 2:26 pm
bluemonster,

There is a guy selling Honda HS55 for $350 and it is a nice 2-stage machine.  If you are near MN, it might be worth the trip.  Heck if you need to borrow my spark plug wrench and you are in the area, you can use my wrench.

sale-kh88h-2701999844@craigslist.org

aa335

Reply #9   Nov 14, 2011 3:10 pm
bus708 wrote:
I would love to change engines but i.m limited and lost. My crank rod to move my shoot is mounted to the top of my engine. If change engines other than another Techumseh then my shoot rod support will have no support and thus will not work. 

I'd keep using your existing snowblower with ear protection unless your neighbors have a problem with the noise.  I don't know what your neighborhood is like, but if the houses are spread far apart with lots of trees and shrubbery, it may not sound that loud.

Of course, you can try to be nice to your neighbors by not snowblowing before 7 AM and after 8 PM, if possible.  I have fairly quiet snowblower and can throttle down if need be.  I even shovel manually at 6 AM when the snow is not too wet and less than 4 inches.
This message was modified Nov 14, 2011 by aa335
MN_Runner

Reply #10   Nov 14, 2011 3:28 pm
aa335, you are a considerate sport.  I have on an occasion mowed my lawn before 6AM and blew snow after 11PM.  Sometimes, you have to do what you got to do.  Don't worry I am not moving to Chicago area any time soon,
Shryp

Reply #11   Nov 14, 2011 3:54 pm
Just do what I do.  Snowblow half the street so they dare not complain.
blumonster

Reply #12   Nov 15, 2011 12:10 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
bluemonster,

There is a guy selling Honda HS55 for $350 and it is a nice 2-stage machine.  If you are near MN, it might be worth the trip.  Heck if you need to borrow my spark plug wrench and you are in the area, you can use my wrench.

sale-kh88h-2701999844@craigslist.org

Thank you MN_Runner.The two used single stage machines are a huge step up from shoveling.I think they will be enough, hopefully.

MN is still far from WI. I am almost at the border with IL.I remember 2 years ago I was at Minneapolis airport for a layover from Amsterdam.Took a long time to de-ice the old plane. It was cold, snowy,icy just around Christmas. 

aa335

Reply #13   Nov 15, 2011 12:24 pm
Shryp wrote:
Just do what I do.  Snowblow half the street so they dare not complain.

Same here.  No complaints yet.  But I do get cookies from time to time, they think I'm Santa Claus.
carlb

Reply #14   Nov 16, 2011 8:56 am
Those Hmsk80's are noisy beasts.  I have one on a craftsman 8/25 and it was at least 50% louder than the11hp OHV engine on my restored Cub Cadet.
Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42