Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > LCT & BRIGGS?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bus708

LCT & BRIGGS?
Original Message   Oct 22, 2011 8:28 pm
I took a good look at an Ariens with a LCT  engine today. Does Briggs  have something going on with LCT? I see original Briggs parts on  the Ariens 208cc engine built by LCT
Replies: 27 - 36 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Garth

Re: LCT & BRIGGS?
Reply #27   Nov 13, 2011 3:22 pm
You people can say what you want about Chinese products, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I will say that the American workforce is a disgrace. Sure there are some good workers but there are many that are lazy that don't care how well they do their job. They try to get out of doing many things. Take extra breaks, long breaks, avoid certain tasks and the list is too long to put everything in this post. The saddest part of all is the companies enable them. Always an excuse. Different people have different learning curves. Not everybody works the same. People take smoke breaks outside of normal breaks all day long and are allowed to. The bosses go to human resources and they always have an excuse why nothing can be done about it. One guy was caught sleeping in his car during work hours and the boss was told that is not enough to fire him. I am just scratching the surface here. I have talked to people in other states and other companies and they have similar problems. I have seen this for years in different departments. Different people have admitted they are lazy and they screw off as much as possible. Other people over here do almost nothing and to listen to them they are working their butts off. They whine about every little thing and end up with repetitive motion. Go to some of these other countries and see how attitudes and people are different. I have met people that worked for GM years ago at a local plant that closed many years ago and they used to laugh about how little they did and how much they got paid. I will repeat this. A large part of the American work force is a total disgrace and are allowed to be that way. I don't see it changing because nothing is done to make them change and it is not going to be. I am an American by the way. With a workforce like this and it will probably continue to get worse, how does this country expect to remain the greatest country in the world? I will answer that. By words not by deeds. Most of what you buy today is made in other countries. I think this made in USA is overrated.
This message was modified Nov 13, 2011 by Garth
blumonster

Reply #28   Nov 13, 2011 5:49 pm
Garth wrote:
You people can say what you want about Chinese products, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I will say that the American workforce is a disgrace. Sure there are some good workers but there are many that are lazy that don't care how well they do their job. They try to get out of doing many things. Take extra breaks, long breaks, avoid certain tasks and the list is too long to put everything in this post. The saddest part of all is the companies enable them. Always an excuse. Different people have different learning curves. Not everybody works the same. People take smoke breaks outside of normal breaks all day long and are allowed to. The bosses go to human resources and they always have an excuse why nothing can be done about it. One guy was caught sleeping in his car during work hours and the boss was told that is not enough to fire him. I am just scratching the surface here. I have talked to people in other states and other companies and they have similar problems. I have seen this for years in different departments. Different people have admitted they are lazy and they screw off as much as possible. Other people over here do almost nothing and to listen to them they are working their butts off. They whine about every little thing and end up with repetitive motion. Go to some of these other countries and see how attitudes and people are different. I have met people that worked for GM years ago at a local plant that closed many years ago and they used to laugh about how little they did and how much they got paid. I will repeat this. A large part of the American work force is a total disgrace and are allowed to be that way. I don't see it changing because nothing is done to make them change and it is not going to be. I am an American by the way. With a workforce like this and it will probably continue to get worse, how does this country expect to remain the greatest country in the world? I will answer that. By words not by deeds. Most of what you buy today is made in other countries. I think this made in USA is overrated.

Same laziness can also be observed in China, but not Japan.
borat

Reply #29   Nov 13, 2011 7:58 pm
Import brands built in North America (all of them) are not in the same class as the same brands built in their home countries.   Our industries have a bad habit of dragging quality products down to their manufacturing level.  Rather than domestic manufacturers stepping up to meet the challenge of superior products, our governments encourage/force foreign manufacturers to build plants here and hire our people to do the work.  The foreign companies see that we run loose ships and figure that they can do the same while still making money because the products they're competing against are usually worse than them.  They see that they don't need to keep up to their "home plant" standards and we end up getting inferior products.  

I have bought nothing but Toyotas for the last 30+ years.  I drive a 1996 Toyota T100 that I bought new in '96.  It has cost me nothing in repairs.  Not one dime.  All I've done to it in fifteen years is oil changes, tires, batteries, windshield wiper blades and air filters.   It's still got it's original timing belt.  Thinking of changing it but, the engine has non-interference valve train so if it breaks, the vehicle stops but no engine damage.  So, I'm flirting with the idea just letting it run to see how long it will last.  The other belts still look to be in great shape and they don't have the protection that the timing belt does. 

Bottom line is that even the best overseas brands are now being compromised due to domestic manufacturing.  If I buy another Toyota, I will pay a premium to ensure I get one that's built in Japan.  Even if I have to buy it in a foreign country, have it shipped and certified here.  I will never buy another domestically manufactured vehicle.  
This message was modified Nov 13, 2011 by borat
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #30   Nov 13, 2011 9:12 pm
The factory wheels on my Toyota have CHINA cast on the inside of the wheel. So even Toyota is using Chinese parts

bus708

Reply #31   Nov 13, 2011 9:34 pm
Knee_Biter wrote:
The factory wheels on my Toyota have CHINA cast on the inside of the wheel. So even Toyota is using Chinese parts

After  WW1 Japan head such a bad name nobody wanted there stuff. They named one of  ther main factory cities usa  so they can sell more to the USA. Now Japan makes high quality . Perhaps we are giving China a bad rap now.  Who knows the future .Only time will tell. I know USA has some junk for sale too. What about Russia? God knows they have snow storms, Maybe Mersadies is building snow blowers
blumonster

Reply #32   Nov 14, 2011 2:19 pm
borat wrote:
Import brands built in North America (all of them) are not in the same class as the same brands built in their home countries.   Our industries have a bad habit of dragging quality products down to their manufacturing level.  Rather than domestic manufacturers stepping up to meet the challenge of superior products, our governments encourage/force foreign manufacturers to build plants here and hire our people to do the work.  The foreign companies see that we run loose ships and figure that they can do the same while still making money because the products they're competing against are usually worse than them.  They see that they don't need to keep up to their "home plant" standards and we end up getting inferior products.  

I have bought nothing but Toyotas for the last 30+ years.  I drive a 1996 Toyota T100 that I bought new in '96.  It has cost me nothing in repairs.  Not one dime.  All I've done to it in fifteen years is oil changes, tires, batteries, windshield wiper blades and air filters.   It's still got it's original timing belt.  Thinking of changing it but, the engine has non-interference valve train so if it breaks, the vehicle stops but no engine damage.  So, I'm flirting with the idea just letting it run to see how long it will last.  The other belts still look to be in great shape and they don't have the protection that the timing belt does. 

Bottom line is that even the best overseas brands are now being compromised due to domestic manufacturing.  If I buy another Toyota, I will pay a premium to ensure I get one that's built in Japan.  Even if I have to buy it in a foreign country, have it shipped and certified here.  I will never buy another domestically manufactured vehicle.  

As far as I know Yaris is imported directly from Japan.But I am sure Toyota uses parts sourced outside of Japan in building Yaris.What percentage I do not know.

T100 is like Hilux?You must have seen Top Gear torture scenes involving Hilux.

RobertL

Reply #33   Nov 15, 2011 1:06 am
Not unusual at all.  My 98 Ford Windstar went 235K without any repair besides an alternator.  Used Walmart brand oil and filter at 8-10K miles.  Of course, brakes, wiper blades, tires, hoses not included..

carlb wrote:
I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon and diss American or Japanese made products, but,  I can tell you that since 1990 I have owned 3 Nissan Maxima's and 2 Infiniti G35 coups, all of these were purchased new.  These cars have been rock solid and other than one of the maximas needing a window regulator replaced when it was about 9 years old all of these Nissan/Infiniti products have performed flawlessly never having to go to the dealer for service except for an O2 sensor on one of the Maximas.  I have performed all standard normal service on these cars.  The 1990 Nissan Maxima had over 265,000 miles on it as it was passed down to my son then to my nephew before it was rear ended and sent to the junk yard.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #34   Nov 15, 2011 3:18 am
blumonster wrote:
As far as I know Yaris is imported directly from Japan.But I am sure Toyota uses parts sourced outside of Japan in building Yaris.What percentage I do not know.

T100 is like Hilux?You must have seen Top Gear torture scenes involving Hilux.

I owned a Toyota Hilux D4D when i lived overseas and NOTHING made from Toyota today can equal a Hilux, certainly not a T100 or a Tacoma or any of the crap that Toyota sells here. The same goes for Honda as well, it's not just Toyota. Of course a White Honda Accord painted white would run you about $42,000 over there.

The Hilux I had was great and got 26 mpg in heavy city traffic with the A/C blowing all the time. There were no highways, well one but I rarely used it since I didn't have to drive to Manila too often. I would buy another one if I could but there is no way to get one here especially a diesel. Mine was manufactured in Thailand and it was solid, great fit on all the seams. The guy I sold it to is still driving it and thinks it's the best truck he's ever owned. Cost new at that time was about $16,000 USD.

This message was modified Nov 15, 2011 by Steve_Cebu

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
borat

Reply #35   Nov 15, 2011 9:05 am
Beg to differ with you Steve.  The T-100 that I have was built in Japan.  I bought it new in 1996.  I have not spent a dime on repairs in all of fifteen years of ownership.  It's nothing but stone axe reliable.  Other than a cracked windshield and a few paint chips, It still look relatively new.  To say it doesn't compare to your Hilux is more than a bit inaccurate.  Unless of course, your Hilux was capable of space travel, then I'd have to agree with you.   In conclusion, I will assume that you meant to say Tundra, not T-100. 
blumonster

Reply #36   Nov 15, 2011 12:15 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
I owned a Toyota Hilux D4D when i lived overseas and NOTHING made from Toyota today can equal a Hilux, certainly not a T100 or a Tacoma or any of the crap that Toyota sells here. The same goes for Honda as well, it's not just Toyota. Of course a White Honda Accord painted white would run you about $42,000 over there.

The Hilux I had was great and got 26 mpg in heavy city traffic with the A/C blowing all the time. There were no highways, well one but I rarely used it since I didn't have to drive to Manila too often. I would buy another one if I could but there is no way to get one here especially a diesel. Mine was manufactured in Thailand and it was solid, great fit on all the seams. The guy I sold it to is still driving it and thinks it's the best truck he's ever owned. Cost new at that time was about $16,000 USD.

Nice truck.According to Wikipedia they sold Hilux in the US for some time. T100 was originally made in Japan for American market.After 1996 they moved production to USA.

Small truck market is still there, maybe bigger now with the fuel consumption worries. Toyota can bring Hilux with diesel option.It might be Turbo diesel as Toyota's smaller cars come with it in Europe and elsewhere.

Wikipedia has the photo of the tortured Hilux on  a car dealer's lot as photographed by a buyer.

Replies: 27 - 36 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42