Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How Loud is Your Single Stage Snowblower?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
MN_Runner

How Loud is Your Single Stage Snowblower?
Original Message   Nov 11, 2011 10:22 pm
My little HS520 is a loud bugger.  When I hold the chute handle then it is fairly quiet.  Perhaps I will need to add some nylon washers around the chute.  How loud are Toro 421/621 variants? 2 cycle Toro sounds like small engine motorcycles.  Did anyone do a modification to make his/her SS quiet?
Replies: 20 - 29 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: How Loud is Your Single Stage Snowblower?
Reply #20   Nov 17, 2011 4:34 pm
mobiledynamics wrote:
I'd just hate for you to get caught up on the HS35 of yours when you're better served with any SS that has more power at the end of the day.

I almost abought a HS35 last year.  It's an credibly well built machine.  After pricing out things to replace, it came out to be quite expensive.  A lot of HS35 parts are obsoleted too.

Since I just recently put in some time and money restoring an HS621, getting another old machine to restore wasn't in the cards at the time.

I know it's a lot of money when you could run out to the big box store and buy a new 208cc snowblower for less than $400, but it could never have the same appeal as a restored HS35, HS621, or a Toro 3650 (Suzuki powered) single stage snowblowers.

At the end of the day, it's not just about power.  I have a 2 stage snowblower that throws snow well and can dig me out of big storms, but these older single stage machines are quite fun to use and work on.
blumonster

Reply #21   Nov 17, 2011 5:12 pm
mobiledynamics wrote:
I hear ya blu.

Anyone on this forum is a enthusiest.....and we're probably picking the finer details on things.
For all intents and purpose, I was just saying at the $$$ you got into it, a cheaper machine which probably has more power will do you justice.
Afterall,  who cares about the fluffy stuff. You can move that with a shovel. It's all that other stuff in between, where instead of backbreaking work, it's the power of the sb that is doing the job for you.

The engine afterall, like most decent cars, will last much longer than the other components.......ya know.

I'd just hate for you to get caught up on the HS35 of yours when you're better served with any SS that has more power at the end of the day.

You have got a point.I might end up regretting it but like aa335 says it is also fun (so far) dealing with it.Like having something of historical importance in hand.Of course I expect it to blow snow too :D

When you are good to your car/equipment I think they understand you, they do their best not to disappoint you. :) I am hoping...

If it does not work I have the other antique Honda HS621.If that does not work then I might think go back to square one and think about buying brand new brittle machines.

mobiledynamics

Reply #22   Nov 17, 2011 5:32 pm
I've got 2 HS621's under my belt.....so I concur in some aspects.

Methinks you might get more bang for the buck in terms of time/value on getting the 621 back up to speed.
Then work on the 35....
blumonster

Reply #23   Nov 17, 2011 6:23 pm
Just came back from the garage.I had sprayed PB blaster on the bolts yesterday.I broke one bolt already.I was hoping to replace paddles.I have not done this before.One socket wrench and a fitting socket was not enough.I do not have a box wrench that size.So the job is unfinished,not even started. :(

Just a look at the control part...all three knobs together side by side.Chute control handle is close to the knobs.HS621 does not even have that handle/lever.Fuel shut off valve is close to the bottom.

This message was modified Nov 17, 2011 by blumonster
mobiledynamics

Reply #24   Nov 17, 2011 6:32 pm
I like KROIL alot more than anything else....Did you give it a healty dosing on  the PB
MN_Runner

Reply #25   Nov 17, 2011 10:59 pm
My photos of HS35.  It took me two hours to replace the old rubbers.  Not an easy job.  I have not gotten the plastic scrappers yet.  So that would be next job.

P1010009P1010005

P1010007P1010006

P1010008

aa335

Reply #26   Nov 18, 2011 10:05 am
That could be nice project to get all that rust out and paint her nice and shiny.
MN_Runner

Reply #27   Nov 18, 2011 10:28 am
I am not planning to sand down the rust to bare metal then painting it over.  I am only doing rubbers, scaper and belt in addition to normal oil and sparkplug changes.  HS35 is not a snowblower I want to spend a lot of time and effort.  If I can get three to five years out of it preping an ice rink on my pond.  I will do everything to keep my 928 in a top shape and rust free.  I bought HS35 mostly out of personal curiosity and nothing more.
aa335

Reply #28   Nov 18, 2011 10:42 am
Not saying you need to paint it, that takes some work. 

I just don't like having rusty things laying around.  I either finish it up nicely or junk it.  :)
MN_Runner

Reply #29   Nov 18, 2011 10:51 am
Or sell it. 
Replies: 20 - 29 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42