Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > best walk behind lawnmower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
granville

best walk behind lawnmower
Original Message   Nov 1, 2011 4:18 pm
honda ,toro or snapper.....what is the best self propelled walk behind mower?
Replies: 9 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
samdog

Re: best walk behind lawnmower
Reply #9   Nov 4, 2011 11:20 am
Honda HRX217HXA.

Five years now -- still starts on the first pull. One start per use -- the engine continues to run (but the blade stops) while you dump the bag.

Best feature: the variable selection Bag/Mulch lever.

Worst feature: the wide plastic deck molding keeps blade about 1 inch away when edging around a tree or fence. (Thin metal decks allow much closer edging.) 

aa335

Reply #10   Nov 4, 2011 12:42 pm
granville wrote:
I talked to the snapper dealer today...they were at briggs training course and apparently that hard starting problem when hot affects the snapper also and there is a tech bulletin on how to adjust it....

Do you have details to this bulletin?  Please share.
granville

Reply #11   Nov 4, 2011 5:11 pm
aa335 wrote:
Do you have details to this bulletin?  Please share.

no ..i didnt see the bulletin......I had been talking to the dealer that day about the problem and he said they hadnt experienced that problem. Then a couple hours later he called me and said his mechanic had been at a training course and several dealers had raised the issue and briggs had responded with a service bulletin
granville

Reply #12   Nov 4, 2011 5:12 pm
slinger wrote:
What about the Snappers with the Briggs Professional 875 Series OHV engine?  Have you considered those if you like Snapper?

how is the 875 series different?
snowmachine

Reply #13   Nov 4, 2011 5:19 pm
I ended up putting the deck guard kit on my HRX217HMA to protect the deck sides from the various cement edging around my yard.

samdog wrote:
Honda HRX217HXA.

Five years now -- still starts on the first pull. One start per use -- the engine continues to run (but the blade stops) while you dump the bag.

Best feature: the variable selection Bag/Mulch lever.

Worst feature: the wide plastic deck molding keeps blade about 1 inch away when edging around a tree or fence. (Thin metal decks allow much closer edging.) 

This message was modified Nov 4, 2011 by snowmachine
samdog

Reply #14   Nov 4, 2011 5:56 pm
^^^  Well, what I'm trying to say is that the Honda will not cut close enough to a tree or fence, because the deck material is about an inch wide. So it leaves an inch wide strip uncut around a tree.

My Yardman has a thinner metal deck that cuts right up against trees and fences.

slinger

Reply #15   Nov 5, 2011 1:08 am
granville wrote:
how is the 875 series different?

It's an OHV engine, more modern....as opposed to the older technology L head like the particular 700 series mentioned earlier in this thread.  Also has more torque.  Some versions (like the one on some John Deere mowers) have pressurized lubrication w/spin-on oil filter.  I don't think that Snapper is using that version though.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/FQOorXrtbrQ?rel=0

This message was modified Nov 5, 2011 by slinger
granville

Reply #16   Nov 7, 2011 6:02 am
are husky mowers any good? ....Ifound some leftovers at decent prices with the 190cc engines and solid front axle.....not many reviews out there ....do they cut as well honda ,toro,snapper lines?
Replies: 9 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42