Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > best walk behind lawnmower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
granville

best walk behind lawnmower
Original Message   Nov 1, 2011 4:18 pm
honda ,toro or snapper.....what is the best self propelled walk behind mower?
Replies: 1 - 10 of 16NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: best walk behind lawnmower
Reply #1   Nov 1, 2011 4:36 pm
Do you have criteria for what's important to you?  There's no one best mower for everything.
granville

Reply #2   Nov 1, 2011 4:50 pm
guality mower that will last but not overpriced 500-700 dollars ...rear driven ...good mulcher...cut a half acre of mostly flat lawn
aa335

Reply #3   Nov 1, 2011 5:15 pm
Toro super recycler.  Mulches very well, rear wheel drive, around $500.

I will say that  there are three things I don't like about this Toro.  One, if you have to stop and start the engine often, develop some patience and strength.  This Briggs side valve engine is hard to start when hot, very odd. 

Two, the Personal Pace drive tends to stick in the forward and doesn't freewheel when no longer pushes on it.

Three, it has poor bagging capability.

My personal favorite mower is the discontinued John Deere 14SB or 14PZ.

This message was modified Nov 1, 2011 by aa335
granville

Reply #4   Nov 3, 2011 5:57 am
The dealer told me about the hot starting issue....what causes it? Does effect the snappers with the same engine or just toro?
granville

Reply #5   Nov 3, 2011 2:04 pm
I talked to the snapper dealer today...they were at briggs training course and apparently that hard starting problem when hot affects the snapper also and there is a tech bulletin on how to adjust it....
MN_Runner

Reply #6   Nov 3, 2011 7:36 pm
Have you considered a push power mower?  Start and stop will not be an issue unless you are having a cold one during the session,  I will refrain from recommending a Honda  (HRX217 with a cheap GC 190CC engine).  It works for me well and no issue thus far with starting when cold or hot.  No leaky carb either.  It is getting a bit late for the mowing season so perhaps you can start this conversation next spring.
snowmachine

Reply #7   Nov 3, 2011 7:57 pm
I have no regrets with my HRX217. It is the best mower I have ever had.
slinger

Reply #8   Nov 3, 2011 10:29 pm
granville wrote:
The dealer told me about the hot starting issue....what causes it? Does effect the snappers with the same engine or just toro?
What about the Snappers with the Briggs Professional 875 Series OHV engine?  Have you considered those if you like Snapper?
This message was modified Nov 3, 2011 by slinger
samdog

Reply #9   Nov 4, 2011 11:20 am
Honda HRX217HXA.

Five years now -- still starts on the first pull. One start per use -- the engine continues to run (but the blade stops) while you dump the bag.

Best feature: the variable selection Bag/Mulch lever.

Worst feature: the wide plastic deck molding keeps blade about 1 inch away when edging around a tree or fence. (Thin metal decks allow much closer edging.) 

aa335

Reply #10   Nov 4, 2011 12:42 pm
granville wrote:
I talked to the snapper dealer today...they were at briggs training course and apparently that hard starting problem when hot affects the snapper also and there is a tech bulletin on how to adjust it....

Do you have details to this bulletin?  Please share.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 16NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42