Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New Chainsaw

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
chopper

New Chainsaw
Original Message   Nov 3, 2011 6:18 am
I need a new chainsaw and am looking at models with 16-inch bars. My old 25 year old Mcculoch has seen it's last days...clutch gone and engine blown seized. I am an occassional saw user and want it mostly for cutting up limbs and trees that fall around my property. I was looking at a Stihl Model: MS250 but parts, manuals, etc. are most only available from the dealer. I have narrowed my search down to two makes and models...Echo CS-370 or the Husqvarna 240E. I like the tool free chain tensioning feature on the Husqvarna yet parts, mauals, etc. seem to be more readily available for the Echo. From what I can find on the internet both saws will provide plenty of power for what I want in a saw with engines very close in cc's around 36.0cc to 38.0cc. Maybe I have overlooked a better make and model and welcome your suggestions. Any help to steer me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks.
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
borat

Re: New Chainsaw
Reply #1   Nov 3, 2011 9:50 am
Echo make a fine saw.  The smaller Husqvarna saws are made by Poulan so, in reality if you buy a Husqvarna branded Poulan, you'll be paying more for the name only.  I'd narrow the search to Echo and Stihl.  Whichever cost the least for comparable saws.
superbuick

Reply #2   Nov 3, 2011 10:38 am
Of those 2 models you are looking at, the Echo is a professional saw with a 300 hr EPA rating, and the Husqvarna is a homeowner saw with a 50 hr EPA rating.  The Echo is definitely a better buy for the money.  When comparing to Stihl, make certain you compare to only the Stihl professional models (300hr EPA rating) - you'll find the the value of the echo is unmatched.
chopper

Reply #3   Nov 4, 2011 7:32 am

Ok now to complicate things and back to Stihl...I am now considering getting the Stihl MS250 which has a bigger 45.4cc engine and an 18-inch bar for 30 bucks more at $299.95 What do you think about this saw compared to the other two?

FrankMA

Reply #4   Nov 4, 2011 9:33 am
chopper wrote:

Ok now to complicate things and back to Stihl...I am now considering getting the Stihl MS250 which has a bigger 45.4cc engine and an 18-inch bar for 30 bucks more at $299.95 What do you think about this saw compared to the other two?

I don't own a Stihl chainsaw (maybe some day) but I always read very good reviews about this saw on the various OPE forums I frequent. For $30.00 you'd be crazy not to go for it and remove any possibility of buyers remorse down the road, you know the drill - "I should have got the bigger one when I had the chance!"....

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
borat

Reply #5   Nov 4, 2011 10:18 am
Don't fall into the "carrot/donkey" trap where the next biggest whatever is only a few buck more.  That can go on forever and the next thing you know, you've overbought.  Figure out your needs criteria and buy whatever will fit that bill. 

Watch the weight of the saws.  Depending on your age, heavier saws can be very taxing.  When I was 30, I could wield a 14 lb. Jonsereds 630 all day.  Now, I use it just for felling a bucking.  It's just too heavy.   I bought a nice little Echo CS346 for limbing and light work.  Great little Pro saw around 33ccs.  That model is no longer made but they have replacements in that slot size.
samdog

Reply #6   Nov 4, 2011 11:32 am
chopper wrote:

I bought the Stihl MS250 3 years ago, after extensive research. I'm stihl (haha) very pleased with it. I just used it to clear many downed branches after this October snow. I use it mainly to make about 2 or 3 cords of firewood per winter. 

That's a good price -- I paid $329 for mine 3 years ago 

This message was modified Nov 4, 2011 by samdog
chopper

Reply #7   Nov 4, 2011 11:34 am
Good advice borat. Yeah I'm 56 years old and I know what you mean by weight. An 80lb bag of cement was nothing for me to carry around when I was 30 years old either. I think I am going to stick with the Echo CS-370. It's at least 2lbs lighter than the Stihl and from the videos I watched on You Tube of it in action, I don't need something heavier or bigger. Thanks again.
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42