Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Any new snowblowers out for 2012

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
stresst

Any new snowblowers out for 2012
Original Message   Sep 19, 2011 7:44 pm
Does anyone know of any new snowblowers out for 2012? Looking to trade in my Toro 826OXE for something with a larger motor. I am leaning toward a larger Toro but  I am open. Any suggestions?
This message was modified Sep 20, 2011 by stresst

TORO 826OXE
Replies: 22 - 31 of 92Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
joeg

Re: Any new snowblowers out for 2012
Reply #22   Nov 1, 2011 6:16 pm
le$#%*now wrote:
If Briggs did indeed mfr the new Toro engine, and it is being branded as Toro opposed to Briggs, my guess is that  the quality standard/quality requirement for the mfr of the engine is lower (cheaper components, more defects allowable per X number of engines, etc) than the Briggs quality level, so rather than potentially tarnish the Briggs name with a sub-standard engine, they agreed to make this engine specifically for Toro with the Toro label. In the end, Toro probably decided that the new "Toro" engine is still a significant upgrade over the competition (MTD chinese engines), that it is a small risk for them and a potential huge upside in that they can sell the snowblower for a more competitve price at the big box stores thereby increasing market share. A win- win for everyone except the guy who can't start his Toro in the middle of a blizzard. And to add to that, and maybe this is a bit of a stretch, BUT, realizing that  their snowblowers are averaging a lifespan of 16yrs and MTD is 8yrs (arbitrary numbers), they wouldnt mind dropping the lifespan to around 10-12 in order to sell more "replacement" machines to the Toro faithful.

from an earlier message that said they suspected it was a loncin engine, i looked up the loncin engine company (see link below) - and i believe the specs match the 926 engine -- same displacement and the pictures look similar -- i think its a fine engine - i bet toro had to go with a more powerful engine because of complaints on the 826 and brigs couldn't meet the price point/spec without getting too close to the 1028 model-- so they went with this manufacturer -- Toro i am sure is very careful in their sourcing -- especially engines and will not risk the warranty costs and reputation hit for a few bucks -its never been toro's style -- its probably a product positioning thing -- and the next engine up on the brigs was somewhere near the power of the 1028 -- so they couldn't distinguish it by the way under full disclosure- i have a vested interest in the 926oxe -- i just bought one today -- the 826oxe was available but as a prior year model -- only difference was the engine - -- i went with the latest -- again they would not have changed the engine if they didn't think the 826 was underpowered -- these guys are not seeing a tremendous price pressure in the big box stores -- they are holding the price because of their brand -- again i could see if they were going to do something it would be on the lower end by the way - the ariens felt real cheap in comparison http://www.loncinengine.com/Product60/Detailed91/#Text
blumonster

Reply #23   Nov 1, 2011 6:34 pm
stresst wrote:
Does anyone know of any new snowblowers out for 2012? Looking to trade in my Toro 826OXE for something with a larger motor. I am leaning toward a larger Toro but  I am open. Any suggestions?

Maybe it is too late, stresst, but today I read that Honda released a brand new 2 stage snow blower which is a hybrid on 27 October 2011. I do not know anything about the price but if you have money to spread around this new snowblower deserves it. :P

http://www.wisesales.com/honda-hs1336ias-snowblower.html

This message was modified Nov 1, 2011 by blumonster
stresst

Reply #24   Nov 1, 2011 8:31 pm
blumonster wrote:
Maybe it is too late, stresst, but today I read that Honda released a brand new 2 stage snow blower which is a hybrid on 27 October 2011. I do not know anything about the price but if you have money to spread around this new snowblower deserves it. :P

http://www.wisesales.com/honda-hs1336ias-snowblower.html

WOW that thing is nuts! Reminds me of an ATV with tracks and blower attachment! This thing must be 10K!

TORO 826OXE
MrNuke

Reply #25   Nov 1, 2011 8:44 pm
I had noticed the 926 from Toro before as a new model, but just looking at their website tonight they now have a 928 oxe as well as a new 1028 oxe.   All three have the "Toro"  engines as opposed the B&S from previous models or years in the case of the 1028.  I'm wondering if it is a case of them exhausting their existing B&S stock for the two stages and then switching over to the other engines. 
This message was modified Nov 1, 2011 by MrNuke
joeg

Reply #26   Nov 1, 2011 10:20 pm
stresst wrote:
WOW that thing is nuts! Reminds me of an ATV with tracks and blower attachment! This thing must be 10K!

that is wild looking -- i think i saw something like that in the movie "the hurt locker" -- its gotta be 10k
Steve_Cebu

Reply #27   Nov 2, 2011 4:31 am
joeg wrote:
that is wild looking -- i think i saw something like that in the movie "the hurt locker" -- its gotta be 10k

It's normally only a Canadian model, and in Canada is probably $8K IIRC. It's good to see someone in the US carrying the Pro machines from Honda.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #28   Nov 2, 2011 4:47 am
MrNuke wrote:
I had noticed the 926 from Toro before as a new model, but just looking at their website tonight they now have a 928 oxe as well as a new 1028 oxe.   All three have the "Toro"  engines as opposed the B&S from previous models or years in the case of the 1028.  I'm wondering if it is a case of them exhausting their existing B&S stock for the two stages and then switching over to the other engines. 

I took a look at their web site page, too.  They have two versions of the 1028OXE.  Each has a different model number.  Some of these Power Max models have the Briggs engine, some have the "Toro Premium OHV" engines.  Click on the "Model" tab, then use the right arrow to find the 926OXE, 928OXE, and the two versions of the 1028OXE.  Then click on "Specifications" to see the engine description "Toro Premium OHV".

I, too, wonder what's going on?  Who makes this "Toro Premium OHV" engine?
This message was modified Nov 2, 2011 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Steve_Cebu

Reply #29   Nov 2, 2011 5:38 am
coasteray wrote:
I took a look at their web site page, too.  They have two versions of the 1028OXE.  Each has a different model number.  Some of these Power Max models have the Briggs engine, some have the "Toro Premium OHV" engines.  Click on the "Model" tab, then use the right arrow to find the 926OXE, 928OXE, and the two versions of the 1028OXE.  Then click on "Specifications" to see the engine description "Toro Premium OHV".

I, too, wonder what's going on?  Who makes this "Toro Premium OHV" engine?

I'm just glad I got the Briggs & Stratton engine on mine when I did.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
aa335

Reply #30   Nov 2, 2011 10:14 am
Toro has been quietly phasing away from dependence on B&S engines for the last 5 years or so.  It started with the Toro 221Q, which is on a platform that can take any engine, not just B&S.  Subaru and Honda are also viable premium alternatives.

It's probably not a bad idea for Toro and everyone else to get engines directly from China built to their spec rather than going to B&S which also gets engines manufactured in China.  Also, because B&S also bought up a few snowblower companies and having their own machines competing the same market, its only prudent for other manufacturers such as Toro and Ariens to secure other supply channels.

There's skepticism about Chinese engines, it's only a matter of time for people to have confidence in them.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #31   Nov 2, 2011 10:55 am
aa335 wrote:
Toro has been quietly phasing away from dependence on B&S engines for the last 5 years or so.  It started with the Toro 221Q, which is on a platform that can take any engine, not just B&S.  Subaru and Honda are also viable premium alternatives.

It's probably not a bad idea for Toro and everyone else to get engines directly from China built to their spec rather than going to B&S which also gets engines manufactured in China.  Also, because B&S also bought up a few snowblower companies and having their own machines competing the same market, its only prudent for other manufacturers such as Toro and Ariens to secure other supply channels.

There's skepticism about Chinese engines, it's only a matter of time for people to have confidence in them.

When you pay close to $2k for a snowblower you do not want a Loncin engine on it. If I was buying a $600 Home DDepotcheapie then ok as they need to cut costs somewhere. But upper end Toro's are a premium brand. Subaru would be a good choice of engine as well.

Replies: 22 - 31 of 92Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42