Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Would an impeller kit be worth installing on this?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
slinger

Would an impeller kit be worth installing on this?
Original Message   Oct 29, 2011 5:43 pm
2010 Ariens Platinum 24 impeller.  14" dia.  Impeller speed is 1010 rpm from the factory.  Clearance from impeller edge to blower housing is about 1/4".  The curve of the blade might require that I use 5 smaller bolts for proper attachment.

Do you think it would be worth the effort while I have the impeller out already or is it a waste of time for this situation?

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Shryp

Re: Would an impeller kit be worth installing on this?
Reply #1   Oct 30, 2011 2:08 am
The impeller kit has to be installed with the impeller in the machine so you get the proper spacing.  The official kit has 4 bolts, so if you use that hopefully you can center it and put the middle two in the flat part and the outer two on each curve.
borat

Reply #2   Oct 30, 2011 10:23 am
With the impeller in the impeller housing, what's the clearance between the ends of the impeller blades and the housing?  If it's less than 3/16", chances are that the impeller kit won't do too much to improve performance.  The Clarence kit is great for sloppy fit impellers but close clearance impellers don't gain too much from installing it.
slinger

Reply #3   Oct 30, 2011 10:34 am
borat wrote:
With the impeller in the impeller housing, what's the clearance between the ends of the impeller blades and the housing?  If it's less than 3/16", chances are that the impeller kit won't do too much to improve performance.  The Clarence kit is great for sloppy fit impellers but close clearance impellers don't gain too much from installing it.

Hey... as I said in my original post, clearance is 1/4".  Seems like I'm on the bubble as far as gaining any performance from this mod.  That's why I'm asking anyone who may have done this with about the same clearance to see if it helped. 
borat

Reply #4   Oct 30, 2011 2:24 pm
1/4" on a new blower?  That's sloppy.  I bet my Simplicity was 1/8" or less when new.   I'd go with a kit on yours.  1/4"?  Unreal!!
slinger

Reply #5   Oct 30, 2011 2:50 pm
Wow, ok then...impeller kit is imperative!  I think I'll just make my own.  I've got some reinforced neoprene 5/16" thick that I used for the paddles on my SS.  I'll use a strip of galvanized or stainless for the back, and some low-profile button head stainless machine screws that should not affect the smooth surface of the impellers too much.  Shouldn't be too tough to do.  
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42