Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What do I do??

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
stresst

What do I do??
Original Message   Oct 28, 2011 10:52 pm
Many of you know I have been throwing the idea around of either selling my Toro 826OXE or having an 11hp from the 1128OXE installed. Anyway I had it up for sale but people wanted to pay like 600 bucks! Mind you I paid nearly 1600 less then 10 months ago!

So with the first reports of snow falling north and west of the city I have the snow blower loaded in my fathers van ready to go to the dealer. Do I just have it serviced and continue to try and sell it (really dont want to invest more $$) or do I have them install the 11HP engine?

The dealer wants 120.00 + any parts to do the service. Now if they swap the shortblock this 120 gets washed away as they need to do an oil change, new plug, adjust belts, etc once they install the new engine block.

What do you think I should do?

TORO 826OXE
Replies: 30 - 39 of 48Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: What do I do??
Reply #30   Nov 1, 2011 5:29 pm
borat wrote:
Same goes for snow shovels???

Nope.  I got those classic straight shaft shovels.  Strong, simple, and lightweight.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #31   Nov 1, 2011 6:27 pm
aa335 wrote:
Don't forget the yellow strobe light, backup beeper, and the orange prison jump suit.  :)

On my street you'd want that stuff, yes we are remote but they drive like maniacs on this street. They are working on the main road so a lot of people detour through our area. At night the EOD would worry me with cars flying down a back road at 50+ mph.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
blumonster

Reply #32   Nov 1, 2011 6:29 pm
Are those driveway markers for protecting pedestrians walking on sidewalks? I had no idea what they were for.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #33   Nov 1, 2011 6:31 pm
blumonster wrote:
Are those driveway markers for protecting pedestrians walking on sidewalks? I had no idea what they were for.

They uh, mark where your driveway is.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
aa335

Reply #34   Nov 1, 2011 6:37 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
They uh, mark where your driveway is.

Really?  I thought they made it easier to spot mailboxes so you can whack them with a baseball bat. 
aa335

Reply #35   Nov 1, 2011 6:40 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
On my street you'd want that stuff, yes we are remote but they drive like maniacs on this street. They are working on the main road so a lot of people detour through our area. At night the EOD would worry me with cars flying down a back road at 50+ mph.

Maybe you should place fake deere or moose on the side of the road to slow people down. 
This message was modified Nov 1, 2011 by aa335
blumonster

Reply #36   Nov 1, 2011 6:46 pm
It seems everybody is in the holiday mood now. :D Especially after the heavy snowfall in the East and the passage of Halloween, the spirit is here. LOL

Maybe I should get a couple of those markers too.Away from the mailbox.

stresst

Reply #37   Nov 1, 2011 8:16 pm
samdog wrote:
It's only funny till somebody gets hit by a plow truck....then it's hilarious.

Last year I came close! Some dumb EFF sanitation plow truck came flying down my block last doing about 45mph with the plow down, this SOB buried me up to my thighs in ice and snow it was like a wave at the beach blind siding you nevermind the blade was about 18" from me! Either he didnt see me or he didnt care either way I thought I was gonna get hit!

On a side note I asked the dealer today about the clarence impeller kit but he never heard of it! Should I order one?

TORO 826OXE
stresst

Reply #38   Nov 1, 2011 8:23 pm
samdog wrote:
My neighbor has gizmo, heated grips on his MTD. Problem is; they are too hot to use, even with gloves!

And with proper storage and care, OPE will start on the first pull. So my electric starter cords make nice little extension cords for the house and shop.

Yes, the headlight is essential safety equipment, when motoring up the street in snowy conditions, to do my neighbor's drives.  I am considering wiring in a tail-light as well (using a motorcycle mirror arm) for rear visibility. 

I will tell you what, I almost didnt buy the Toro cause of the lack of handwarmers but my neighbors 1028 Craftsman has heated grips and like you mentioned they burn your hands with heavy goves on! Makes your hands sweat like crazy! IMO this feature is made for -20 and below with 40+mph winds!

TORO 826OXE
bus708

Reply #39   Nov 1, 2011 9:05 pm
stresst wrote:
I hear ya I am actually quit handy but the problem is it was running a bit rough last year. The last few weeks of the season I drained the gas out and put fresh gas in but the same thing. The other day I put some gas in for the first time with a new plug but it was the same......Plugs and oil are childs play....... but carb adjustments im lost! As far as belts go I probably could have done that as well but I figured let me get everything checked out......last season I ran a ton of crap over including the outdoor carpet which stopped the motor, about 25' of 10/3 extension cord & a 2lb steel ashtray which shut the motor down as well. A screw rattled loose on the black cover which covers the belt.........figured it couldnt hurt to get it checked out! Trust me I didnt want to cough over 120! As long as I dont run anything over this season this will be the last time this thing sees the dealer!

Do they make service manuals for theset things? Would like to know which carb screws adjust what, as well as how much tension should be in the belts........

What was the engine running like?  Does it sound funny under no load, when you engage it, or under load wile snow blowing? What does it sound like. You said your blower is 10 months old!  That being is should be under warranty.  If you ran a bunch of stuff in your machine enough to stall the engine then you might have bent something.  With your belt disengaged try turning your impeller.  Check for any binning. I assume your engine is a Briggs Call them with your model # and serial # tell them what it  is running like. They can walk you through the carb adjustments.  There are usually only 2 screws . One for your idle speed and the other for your mixture. For your mixture. Start it up normally and let it warm up. Then tighten the mixture screw by  turning it in until your engine stops running. Unscrew it 1/4 turn and restart your engine.  Now  Listen to your engine  and continue to unscrew the adjustment screw until it smooths out. It should run well at idle and wide open. Replace your belts. It sounds as if they burnt  when you got junk jammed in it.  I would try and get it fixed under warranty. The worst they can do is say No. They can show you the adjustment screws and you can pick up your belts too. As I said  check for anything rubbing ,loose or worn.
Replies: 30 - 39 of 48Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42