Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > B&S 205cc snow engine

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bus708

B&S 205cc snow engine
Original Message   Oct 21, 2011 12:47 pm
I'm thinking of getting the Ariens compact 24 with the B&S engine.  What do you guys think about this engine? I herd they are only good for 50 hours of use . I think that is unsat. How true it is I do not know.  There are not many engine choices these days. I need to know how you guys feel with the 205cc engine. The good as well as the bad.
Replies: 3 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
bus708

Re: B&S 205cc snow engine
Reply #3   Oct 24, 2011 10:51 am
stresst wrote:
What do mean only good up tp 50 hours of use? I probably put 3/4's of that on my Toro 826OXE in the first season, so you telling me another 12+ hours and I need a new motor? Absolutely bad information. While its not a Honda B&S are really good engines. I would say with proper maintenance there good for 500+ hours. Probably more!

I know it sounds a very low # of hours. I was just refering to what I read. I did call Briggs and they  could not give me a set # of hours. They just told me that they have engines still running 30 years old with proper maintance. 
borat

Reply #4   Oct 25, 2011 9:40 am
Read the info more closely. 

It's very unlikely that even the cheapest of engines built would be rated for 50 hours.  As previously mentioned, that is likely the EPA compliance minimum.
Snowmann

Reply #5   Oct 25, 2011 2:22 pm
borat wrote:
Read the info more closely. 

It's very unlikely that even the cheapest of engines built would be rated for 50 hours.  As previously mentioned, that is likely the EPA compliance minimum.

Absolutely. The minimum compliance duration for the Briggs 205cc snow engine is 250 hours. The  LCT 208cc is 125 hours. The Subaru 211cc is 250 hours. It has absolutely nothing to do with operational durability (or the Subaru would rated be much higher than the other two). Any of these engines would outlast any snowblower if the only consideration was operational run time. The terminal disease is poor maintenance, neglect, and old age.
Replies: 3 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42