Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > track drive snowblowers with differentials.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bus708

track drive snowblowers with differentials.
Original Message   Oct 22, 2011 12:47 pm
I here from many that  Ariens track drives do not have steering. They say that they have differentials that can lock both tracks for better traction. If I unlock the right side then just the left will be driving. To me that is confusing because if the left is driving then the unit will want to go right . So what is the differential doing? What is its purpose. I thought differentials switch the drive/driven tracks  to the left making a right turn and right to make a left  turn. That being it does have steering.  If it does not then it will always want to go right unless both tracks are locked.  I never test run any of Ariens  track models so i do not really know how they steer .  The only trigger steering tracks I see are from troy Built .  I'm not impressed with there reliability or quality. I love Ariens,  but I question their tracks ease of steering.
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Coldfingers

Re: track drive snowblowers with differentials.
Reply #1   Oct 23, 2011 5:59 pm
When I bought my ariens professional model they also had a cheaper model without hand warmers, it just had the L-head motor, it was a lighter duty model and that one had the trigger levers to turn it. With the diff. model it does switch back and forth from side to side when it isn't locked and that makes it easier to turn around. When you do lock it it will just go straight. I will say if you are in real hard packed snow and you are just taking a half swat that it will tend to drift into the snow side as you are going a long but I find if you just put a little side pressure on it then its okay. In normal snowbanks it doesn't do it, just older drifts that have been there for awhile. I'm selling mine as a neighbor bought a utility tractor and I'm going to store it for him and then get my driveway cleaned, its too bad you aren't closer as you could try mine out. I'm in Minnesota!!
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #2   Nov 12, 2011 10:18 am
Except for HONDA snowblowers they all have a "Friction Wheel" drive system.  NONE have a 'differential, like on a rear drive automobile.   Go to the Consumer Reports web site and access their section on 'Forums', then select "Lawn & Garden", then "SNOWBLOWERS".  Read the thread titled CR DOES NOT Explain Snowblowers, it explains how they all work. 
carlb

Reply #3   Nov 12, 2011 11:33 am
New_Yorker wrote:
Except for HONDA snowblowers they all have a "Friction Wheel" drive system.  NONE have a 'differential, like on a rear drive automobile.   Go to the Consumer Reports web site and access their section on 'Forums', then select "Lawn & Garden", then "SNOWBLOWERS".  Read the thread titled CR DOES NOT Explain Snowblowers, it explains how they all work. 

NOT TRUE,

I have a 1983 Cub Cadet and it does have a friction wheel drive system with a TRUE differential just like a rear drive automobile,
here is a picture of the differential.  It can be run using the differential which will power both wheels but allow for easy turning, or you can lock the axle, but that does not allow for easy turning.

Snowmann

Reply #4   Nov 12, 2011 3:04 pm
NY, true differentials have been used in friction disk drive snowblowers for 40 years.
royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #5   Nov 12, 2011 3:52 pm

New_Yorker wrote:

THe Husqvarna models that have hydrostatic drive , do not have a "Friction  Wheel"

drive system,  neither does my Craftsman 529931 (built by Husqvarna ) with  hydrostatic  drive.

These models do not have an automotive  type differential.  There is no differential,  steering is accomplished by the 2 little levers below  the hand grips  that  regulates   power to either wheel ,

to accomplish either a gradual return or a zero radius Turn.

This message was modified Nov 13, 2011 by royster

dexnjan

Reply #6   Feb 6, 2015 12:38 pm
My snowblower is not a track drive, but it has a differntial.  It's 40 years old,  a John Deere 526 model.  Nice easy turning and either wheel seems to drive it when needed.  There is a lock on the left wheel that will make both wheels drive equally if wanted.  This seems to be a really good blower, and I have worked on it to replace the traction disk, but other than that, it's a winner.
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42