Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Can somebody please explain how the choke works on my Toro 418ZR?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Mr_Pacman

Can somebody please explain how the choke works on my Toro 418ZR?
Original Message   Oct 14, 2011 8:57 pm
Ok, I got the new 418ZR setup this evening......putting in the oil and gas was easy.

I followed all the directions in the manual on the start procedure:

I put the red key in the ignition slot
I moved the little choke lever to the right
I pushed the primer twice, holding in the button for 1 second each time

I pulled the recoil starter, and nothing happened. I pulled it another 20 times.......still nothing.

I then moved the choke lever all the way to the left, and it pulled in one start.

According to the manual, the choke lever is supposed to be towards the right to start it, not the left position (closed).

Any thoughts on why this is happening?  Is it because it's still fairly warm outside (10* C / 50* F)?

I'm hoping I dont have a defective unit, as it's going to be a hassle to drain all the fluids and take it back to HD

Thanks
James
Replies: 2 - 3 of 3Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Mr_Pacman

Re: Can somebody please explain how the choke works on my Toro 418ZR?
Reply #2   Oct 14, 2011 10:17 pm
Thanks for the reply.

Just so I understand correctly (I'm new to small engines):

It's ok that it starts when the choke is closed, and won't start when the choke is open (to the right) as it's warm outside.

So would it be safe to assume that when it gets a bit colder outside, I will have to try starting it with the choke open?

For what it's worth, it starts on the first pull with the choke closed, so I'm impressed.

Also, one other question.

When I check the dipstick, one side of the dipstick shows oil at the top of the hashmarks, and the other side shows it only 1/2 way up the hashmarks. How do I know how full the oil tank is?

I know the max capacity of the engine is 12 ounces of oil, and I put in 10......so I suspect I must be close to the right amount.

Thanks
James
carlb

Re: Can somebody please explain how the choke works on my Toro 418ZR?
Reply #3   Oct 15, 2011 7:08 am
there may be a misprint in the manual because you should need the choke closed to start a cold engine and then start to open the choke as the engines warms up.  In some cases it may start better at 1/2 choke.  I have never seen this model so i really cant say which way the choke is open or closed, but, cold engines need the choke closed and warm/hot engines need the choke open.  Each machine is a little different as far as how they start, you will need to find out from experience how your machine starts best.  Temperature will make a big difference, the colder it it the more fuel/choke it will need to start.

Carl
Replies: 2 - 3 of 3Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42