Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Steering system Husky Power Steering vs Toro OXE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Norfolker

Steering system Husky Power Steering vs Toro OXE
Original Message   Oct 10, 2011 12:50 pm
Quick intro: From eastern Mass (half way between Boston and Providence RI). Need to invest in a snow blower that is robust yet easy to steer - well, one that has a good steering system. I'm about to have L4 & L5 vertebrae fused and during the healing process will need a blower that won't make me screw things up by bulling it around. Anyway, been doing a lot of research (lots of free time - disabled from work until back is fixed) and I am narrowing my search down to the Toro's OEX's (Power Max 826OEX, 828OEX, or 1028 OEX) and the Husky with power steering and the high impeller speed (11524E & 14527E) Questions, how do these steer? At this point that is the priority, I will tackle the other differences later. OR do you know of a RELIABLE machine that needs no body twisting or pulling to steer it. (I read reports that Troy-Bilt have unreliable reverse gears) thanks -Bill
This message was modified Oct 10, 2011 by Norfolker
Replies: 11 - 20 of 59Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Norfolker

Re: Steering system Husky Power Steering vs Toro OXE
Reply #11   Oct 12, 2011 10:04 am
thanks guys

yes Steve, I need to find someone who has a Husky, that's why I'm here < grin >

I appreciate the feedback about the "stuff" you've eaten with your 1028. That's incredible. Hope you don't find the neighbor's dog the same way (sorry)

and thanks royster, as Steve says, sounds like how a Toro works.

and I assume for both, when you pull both triggers, both wheels freewheel for easy maneuvering in the shed/garage

Steve_Cebu

Reply #12   Oct 12, 2011 1:12 pm
Norfolker wrote:
thanks guys

yes Steve, I need to find someone who has a Husky, that's why I'm here < grin >

I appreciate the feedback about the "stuff" you've eaten with your 1028. That's incredible. Hope you don't find the neighbor's dog the same way (sorry)

and thanks royster, as Steve says, sounds like how a Toro works.

and I assume for both, when you pull both triggers, both wheels freewheel for easy maneuvering in the shed/garage

I hope you find someone who actually owns a Husky. I'd like to see one for myself. I would be able to tell if it was a similar design or a bit different. I certainly hope no dog would lie down under 20" of snow and not move with a loud snowblower coming right at it.

As far as manuvering, yes, with the Toro it freewheels when you pull both triggers, so the Husky might be the same.

Still I wonder who actually manufacters Husky?

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #13   Oct 12, 2011 3:55 pm
Actually, Huskys don't have grip controls.  It's just "GEE  HAW" and then "MUSH" to start out.  After that, a single "GEE" or "HAW" will suffice for a turn in the appropriate direction.

royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #14   Oct 12, 2011 5:38 pm
The Husky , as you call it, is manufactured by Husqvarna, with 3 factories in the USA and mamy other around the world.   Their head office is in Sweden.

coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #15   Oct 15, 2011 11:50 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
I hope you find someone who actually owns a Husky. I'd like to see one for myself. I would be able to tell if it was a similar design or a bit different. I certainly hope no dog would lie down under 20" of snow and not move with a loud snowblower coming right at it.

As far as manuvering, yes, with the Toro it freewheels when you pull both triggers, so the Husky might be the same.

Still I wonder who actually manufacters Husky?

Steve and everyone else:  I don't own a Husqvarna snowblower, but I have used one for a few extensive snow removal sessions at an elementary school I once worked at about 4 years ago.  I can't recall the model number, but it is 30" wide and has a 11HP (pre-torque/cc figure days) engine.  The Husky turned quickly enough when gripping one of the triggers.  It's not smooth turning like an Ariens differential unit.  The Husky was great for the on-a-dime turn.  To smoothly go around a corner, you have to grip and re-grip a few times to sort of imitate a smooth turn.  It's no big deal.  The point is that you don't have to muscle anything.  I must assume Toro's steering triggers have a similar effect when in use.  Triggers are triggers, I guess. (Update of 10-28-11:  After having bought a three-year-old Toro 1028LXE on 10-23-11, I tried out the steering.  It was very easy.  How it would compare to a new or very recent Husky, I don't know.  The one I used at work is from the 2006-2007 season.

Everything I've heard about Husqvarna snowblowers is that they build their own stuff.  Same for everything else they make, I assume, like lawn mowers and weed wackers, etc.

Steve, I don't think you'll find much is different with Ariens, Simplicity, and Husky.  Ariens has added cast-iron gear boxes across their entire regular line of blowers, and they have beefed up their control deck to 12-gauge steel, and they have a new halogen light.  They still have the ATC.
This message was modified Oct 28, 2011 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Steve_Cebu

Reply #16   Oct 16, 2011 9:20 am
coasteray wrote:
Steve and everyone else:  I don't own a Husqvarna snowblower, but I have used one for a few extensive snow removal sessions at an elementary school I once worked at about 4 years ago.  I can't recall the model number, but it is 30" wide and has a 10HP (pre-torque/cc figure days) engine.  The Husky turned rather quickly when gripping one of the triggers, so you have to be aware of that.  It's not smooth turning like one of the older Ariens differential units I've also used at work (ST1032 model), but turns quickly, which is great for the on-a-dime turn.  To smoothly go around a corner, you have to grip and re-grip several times to sort of imitate a smooth turn.  It's no big deal.  The point is that you don't have to muscle anything.  I must assume Toro's steering triggers have the same effect when in use.  Triggers are triggers, I guess.

Everything I've heard about Husqvarna snowblowers is that they build their own stuff.  Same for everything else they make, I assume, like lawn mowers and weed wackers, etc.

Steve, I don't think you'll find much is different with Ariens, Simplicity, and Husky.  Ariens has added cast-iron gear boxes across their entire regular line of blowers, and they have beefed up their control deck to 12-gauge steel, and they have a new halogen light.  They still have the ATC, though.  I'd prefer they start using a real differential feature instead,  Why make people suffer in turning these machines?  Gahhhhh!!

Yes, my Toro will turn very quickly but speed is dependant on how fast you are going. In 5th gear it will turn very fast if you just grab the lever. The Toro is variable so if you squeeze a little it turns a little, squeeze a lot and it'll whip around in it's own radius. Cast Iron gearboxes are mostly just marketing. I was a machinist for a lot of years and we did work with cast iron, cast aluminum some of the time. Quality of the cast is a big factor not just the material. It's the gears inside the housing that concern me more. The Toro and Ariens gears seem pretty robust so the outside box being cast iron or aluminum isn't as big an issue for me.

I'd really like to find a dealer locally that has a Husky so I could check it out and compare it to the Toro.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
FrankMA

Reply #17   Oct 16, 2011 9:40 am
Here's a link for the Husqvarna Dealer Locator: http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/dealers/dealer-locator/

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Steve_Cebu

Reply #18   Oct 16, 2011 1:42 pm
Thanks, I used that and there is a dealer about 30 minutes or so from me. So I'm going to go down Mon or Tues and take a looksee at the ones they have and see how they compare to my Toro. I'll try and take some pics and see if I can actually test the steering if they'll let me.

Norfolker

Reply #19   Oct 18, 2011 11:55 pm
@coasteray, Thank you for that info. I am hoping the Husky turns as easy as you say. If they are as equal to the Toro as you suggest, location of a dealer will now be my deal maker/breaker

@Steve, I'd really appreciate any feed back from you once you've had a chance to look at and hopefully drive a Husky

This message was modified Oct 18, 2011 by Norfolker
Steve_Cebu

Reply #20   Oct 19, 2011 10:11 pm
Norfolker wrote:

@Steve, I'd really appreciate any feed back from you once you've had a chance to look at and hopefully drive a Husky

So far I've been too busy to go but I do have to get a workout tire for my wife, so I'm hoping this week but the dealer is actually about 40 minutes away. I've been going in the opposite direction all week. But once I learn something I'll be sure and post it.

Replies: 11 - 20 of 59Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42