Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 2010 Ariens Platinum 24" - higher impeller speed

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
slinger

2010 Ariens Platinum 24" - higher impeller speed
Original Message   Oct 5, 2011 5:02 pm
I have a 2010 Platinum 24.  I only seem to use it for EOD duty and the occasional heavy storm.  I use my singe-stage for everything else.  Could I optimize my Ariens by removing the stock 250cc Polar Force engine and bolting on a bigger engine...let's say a 342cc or something similar?  Is there a bigger Briggs (Polar force, Intek, etc.) that would mount on that frame and accomplish my objective without too much modification?  The stock engine is ok, but if my goal is to cut down the EOD pile and be able to throw it across the street would the big motor/24" bucket combo get me there?  I don't care about the warranty.  Can anyone recommend a specific engine for this project and the associated parts (pulleys, belts,etc.) that might be required?  And of course some extra shear pins! 
This message was modified Sep 23, 2014 by slinger
Replies: 9 - 18 of 36Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
slinger

Re: 2010 Ariens Platinum 24" EOD Machine?
Reply #9   Oct 7, 2011 8:59 pm
I think the project has come to a screeching halt because I can't find a larger impeller pulley (sheave) for the motor shaft.  Stock is 2.5" diameter and is used on both the Platinum 24 and 30 with the 1" dia. engine shaft.  Ariens service tech told me there is no larger one available.  A 3.5" would have been just about perfect, raising impeller rpm from 1010 to around 1400.  Combine that with the 3 or 4 extra hp that the 342cc engine would have provided and that puppy should have thrown like a major league pitcher!  The only other part that I would have to fab up is a new belt finger to fit around the new larger pulley.  There are other pulley manufacturers that make that diameter, but the Ariens part seems to be kind of a special design.  Cr@p, that would have been fun  :-( 
Bill_H

Reply #10   Oct 7, 2011 9:02 pm
Did you check McMaster-Carr?

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
slinger

Reply #11   Oct 7, 2011 9:44 pm
Yes...that's my first stop for all my hardware needs!  But no dice.  Thanks for the suggestion though!
Shryp

Reply #12   Oct 8, 2011 5:25 pm
http://www.mfgsupply.com/MowerPullSteelV.html

And if you have a local one Tractor Supply Company.
The ones at Tractor Supply are for 1/2" or 5/8" belts so you have to get one quite a bit bigger since the belt sits deeper.
This message was modified Oct 8, 2011 by Shryp
slinger

Reply #13   Oct 8, 2011 6:44 pm
Ok thanks, I guess I'll keep looking.  I found some pulley manufacturers that make the correct pulley as far as shaft diameter (1") and 2 groove design for the correct belt size, and even the overall diameter of the pulley.  But the Ariens pulley seems to have an elongated collar that spaces the pulleys the correct distance to align with the secondary impeller pulley (9" one).  They also use a 3/8" bolt to mount it on the engine shaft.  I don't know if that's unique or not.  Perhaps I could use a standard pulley and a spacer to accomplish the same thing.
Shryp

Reply #14   Oct 8, 2011 6:48 pm
Just use regular pulleys with set screws.  The ones that bolt to the crank probably just make assembly easier as there is nothing to line up.
jrtrebor

Reply #15   Oct 8, 2011 10:25 pm
slinger - You won't be able to find a single dual belt pulley that will work.
You have to use to separate pulley's.
I put a 3.25" on my Ariens 1132 (soon to be 1332)
Here is a link where you can get the pulley's your looking for and will need
Pulleys
Actually It's 3.45" but that's close enough.
You can search by shaft size to find the other pulley you'll need to drive the tractor.
Stock on most Ariens I believe is 2.50"
When using two separate pulleys instead of the dual pulley.
You have to play around with how to put them on the shaft.
Collar forward, collar backwards.  Or you may even have to grind off
some of the collar on one or both to make it shorter to get the alignment right with the lower pulley.
But it's very do-able.
I actually cut a steel dual belt pulley in half to use the 3.25" side.
Then drilled and tapped the collar above the key way slot for a set screw.

This message was modified Oct 8, 2011 by jrtrebor
slinger

Reply #16   Oct 9, 2011 2:10 am
I found a 2 groove pulley that's 3.35" od x 1" shaft here:  http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/VBelt-Pulley-3X520?BaseItem=3X520 

I estimate that it should take the 14" dia impeller speed from 1010 rpm (factory) to about 1340 rpm. There's also a 3.95" dia. available, but that might be too much (1577 impeller rpm).

I will have to bend the belt finger to try to make it fit. Are you saying that these 2 groove pulleys will not position the belts properly to line up with the impeller shaft pulleys?  Will  this increase in impeller speed on a 14" impeller make much of a difference (+330 rpm)?  The extra hp from the 342cc motor should handle this extra load, no?

This message was modified Oct 9, 2011 by slinger
jrtrebor

Reply #17   Oct 9, 2011 10:31 am
Sorry about that, forget about what I said in my last post.  I didn't realize that your blower has a three belt system. That pulley from Grainger may work.  But your going to have to make sure
that the spacing between the two grooves is the same as your stock pulley. If the belts aren't spaced exactly the same they will never stay on the impeller shaft pulley. You'll also have to make
sure that you will be able to get the new pulley positioned on the crankshaft so that you have good vertical alignment of the belts between the drive pulley and the impeller pulley.

The problem you may run into with this. Is that the Grainger pulley has the collar with the set screws to hold it on the crank.  You may have to slid it on the crank with the collar forward. And then find out
that when you get the belts aligned vertically that the collar with the set screws is to far off the end of the crank for the set screws to do any good.  Or if you put the pulley on with the collar in the
back it may hit the other pulley before you can slid it on far enough to get good vertical alignment. There really isn't any way to know if the Grainger pulley will work without buying and trying it out.

Your RPMs calculations sound about right.  And I would agree that a 3.95" would be to large. The increase in impeller RPM will make some difference. In that you will be able to process more snow
 through the blower at any given forward speed than you could before.  Decreasing the space between the impeller blade tips and the housing will also make the most noticeable difference in the blowers ability to really throw wet and slushy snow without clogging the chute. Just a heads up, you may have to modify the belt cover with the larger diameter pulley's.

slinger

Reply #18   Oct 28, 2011 9:28 pm
Well, changing the 2 groove auger drive pulley on the engine shaft is a no-go.  Ariens uses a custom made part that extends the pulleys past the end of the shaft by a couple of inches.  So, the other alternative is to reduce the size of the 2 groove pulley that goes on the impeller shaft.  The stock part is 8.5" diameter with a 1.65" center hole and 3 bolt pattern that mounts the hub.  Does anyone know of a similar pulley that  measures between 6 to7" in diameter or am I dead in the water again?

Replies: 9 - 18 of 36Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42