Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Anyone own an Ariens ST28DLE??

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
stresst

Anyone own an Ariens ST28DLE??
Original Message   Oct 5, 2011 9:38 pm
I didnt even know this model existed! When I seen how big this motor is in a 28" width I almost $#%* myself! lol I thouht this mountain motor only came in 36"+ wide units.

How does this thing turn? How does the power steering compare to that of a Toro?

This message was modified Oct 7, 2011 by stresst

TORO 826OXE
Replies: 10 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
mvedepo

Re: Anyone own an Ariens ST28DLE??
Reply #10   Oct 10, 2011 3:11 pm
Essentially yes.
aa335

Reply #11   Oct 10, 2011 3:21 pm
mvedepo wrote:
Essentially yes.

I think Ariens should make a video showing this ATC actually works.  Then they can convince would be buyers from buying Toro machines single stage snowblowers. 
mvedepo

Reply #12   Oct 10, 2011 3:27 pm
I agree.  The problem is that people get it confused with the ability to turn around easily.  Not going to happen.   Now when you turn the machine around unpowered its fine.  The wheel disconnects and you can spin it right around.  But the with the Toro you can pull the trigger on the inside of the turn and actually power the blower around.
carlb

Reply #13   Oct 10, 2011 5:49 pm
I have an old 1983 Cub Cadet 26" machine which has a complete differential with spur gears enclosed in the housing.  When it is driving forward it will pull hard with both wheels.  If i try to hold it back in the driveway it will spin both tires, but, whey you go to turn it if you hold back on the handle on the side you want it to turn to it disengages that wheel and only sends power to the other side making almost a zero radius turn. This machine with an 11hp engine and 20lbs of nose weight weighs well over 335lbs and it will turn on a dime and still pull with both wheels when allowed to pull forward on its own.  If you hold back on either handle it will turn in that direction instantly. It has a option to lock both wheels to a single axle but there is really no point in using it as it is a beast to try to turn with them locked.
mvedepo

Reply #14   Oct 10, 2011 7:22 pm
Yeah thats exactly opposite from Ariens ATC.
jrtrebor

Reply #15   Oct 10, 2011 8:07 pm
I have an older Ariens ST1032.  Which has the lockable hub on the left side and the axle differential unit.  Which does function like a limited slip car rear end and as it has been described here.
I think I have only locked the axle maybe twice in the last two years  When the hub is in the locked position both wheels spin at the same speed. Which makes it a real bear to turn.
Actually it won't turn you have to drag it to turn it.
With the hub unlocked I can literally make a 180 degree turn with little effort, I've done it one handed.  If I'm in first or second gear I can turn left and almost keep the left wheel planted and simply pivot around it. While the right wheel drives the blower around.  If I'm in a higher gear I'd have to almost run to keep up with it as it turns. The only situation that locking in the axle would probably be useful in. Would be trying to blow deep snow going up a rather steep incline. Or simply driving the blower through deep snow. I've never had a traction problem with the hub unlocked regardless of the snow depth. Just my observations.
stresst

Reply #16   Oct 10, 2011 8:35 pm
Very interesting thread.........Seems the Toro is King as far as the power steering goes.....

TORO 826OXE
slinger

Reply #17   Oct 10, 2011 10:35 pm
I've got an Ariens Platinum with ATC, and I have also used a friend's Toro.  I found the Toro to be able to turn sharper turns more easily than my Ariens. The ATC works, it's just that the Toro seemed to give me more control over the turn with less effort once you spend a few minutes getting used to the trigger controls.  I'm fine with the Ariens' ATC though. 
aa335

Reply #18   Oct 10, 2011 10:49 pm
stresst wrote:
Very interesting thread.........Seems the Toro is King as far as the power steering goes.....

Ariens is the king of snow.    I don't see anything wrong with Toro being king of powersteering.
This message was modified Oct 11, 2011 by aa335
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #19   Oct 15, 2011 5:22 am
slinger wrote:
I've got an Ariens Platinum with ATC, and I have also used a friend's Toro.  I found the Toro to be able to turn sharper turns more easily than my Ariens. The ATC works, it's just that the Toro seemed to give me more control over the turn with less effort once you spend a few minutes getting used to the trigger controls.  I'm fine with the Ariens' ATC though. 

Also:
mvedepo wrote:
I am picking up the Pro 28.  The ATC is not powersteering.   IN FACT it's harder to steer under power than the Toro.  The difference is that when you are turning under power the OUTSIDE wheel released and the INSIDE wheel is powered.  Not ideal for turning.  The thought process on the ATC is to keep the machine going straight.

The ATC is "better" in theory because it's a "traction control"  If you start spinning a wheel it takes power away from it.  Also if you take on snow that unevenly distributed and it causes the blower to pull to the left it will take power away from the right wheel and only power the left in essence trying to keep the machine straight.  Thats it in theory.  In the real world I have no idea how well it works. 

I've got an Ariens ST824 (1993 model year), and I really like the real differential action on that, just like with a car. It's so easy in turning, even sharp turns.  Of course, with the knob on the left wheel, I can always convert it to a straight-forward locked two-wheel drive. 

Now with the ATC (Automatic Traction Control) feature on the last few years of  Ariens models, I am wondering just how hard it is to make those sharp turns.

I've used a Husqvarna snow blower at one of the schools I work at, so I know how the trigger release feels when turning either direction.  It's not as smooth as the old Ariens differential, but you can ease your way into a turn by pulling the trigger lever over and over again to avoid the sudden turn action due to that one wheel disengaging if you just pull the trigger and don't let go of it right away.
This message was modified Oct 17, 2011 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Replies: 10 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42