Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Light Kit For Snowthrower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Icepower

Light Kit For Snowthrower
Original Message   Sep 16, 2011 2:10 pm
HI folks:
last year I bought a Craftsman 26" 208cc Two-stage Snow Thrower w/ EZ Steer (Model 88691).. Last year we had a lot of snow in my neck of the woods and the machine worked great. But now i am having second thoughts. I think I should have researched more before buying. For those of you in the know when I purchased the machine the sales person stated that the manufacturer of the Snow Thrower purchased a company that made motors, and that the machine was fully integrated. In my opinion I don't care who integrated what. What I am interested in is durability. In retrospect there are things missing on this unit like drift cutters (What are these used for anyway?) and a light. My initial research informs me that the drift cutters I can easily buy and install. This I will do. But the Light? What about the light? Is there a rugged light kit I can buy and attach to my machine? If so how would I attach the electrical? There is no battery with this machine, so could I make something work? Another question I have regards the oil selection. I have been under the impression that a single cylinder engine requires straight 30 weight oil, but the sales person explained a 5/30 makes for easier cold weather starts. So what do you think? My plan is to drain the 5/30 and refill with straight 30. Am I right about this?
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
carlb

Re: Light Kit For Snowthrower
Reply #1   Sep 16, 2011 3:38 pm
I would stick with the 5/30 since all of its work will be done in the cold weather.  There is really no need or reason to run a straight 30 weight in a snow blower.  As far as the light is concerned if you engine has a charging coil   hooking a light up should be pretty straight forward.  You will have to look to see if there is a pig tail coming out from behind the starter cover providing 12 volts for a light.

Carl.
Bill_H

Re: Light Kit For Snowthrower
Reply #2   Sep 17, 2011 9:42 pm
If you got through last winter without drift cutters you probably don't need them. They're for going through snow that is deeper than the top of the bucket. Read your owners manual and use the grade specified in it. The engineers who designed the motor know best. 5-30 does sound correct. Snowblowers don't get used in hot weather, only in cold weather, so don't think you should use the same oil you use in your lawnmower. I didn't like the factory light on my old walk behind and replaced it with one of these: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_352681_352681 for that price you get a pair, so you have a spare. You'll need a switch, look to see if there's a covered hole or a knockout on your dash. You should be able to pick one up locally at a hardware or auto store that will fit.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42