Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Problem with a Craftsman 917252451 Lawn Tractor

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
davefon

Problem with a Craftsman 917252451 Lawn Tractor
Original Message   Jul 2, 2011 11:53 pm
I just bought it used off of Craigslist and it drove fine while at the seller's house. When I got it home and tried to take it off my trailer it wouldn't move. The engine starts fine, the blades can be engaged but none of the forward or reverse speeds work. So it runs and cuts but won't move. I jacked up the back wheels and when you spin one the other moves in the opposite direction. I'm assuming that this behavior is normal. However, I can't get the wheels to move in the same direction no matter what gears they're in. Is the transaxle shot all of a sudden? Are there any other tests I can perform to diagnose this?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
friiy

Re: Problem with a Craftsman 917252451 Lawn Tractor
Reply #1   Jul 3, 2011 11:40 pm
Did the belt fall off the pully when it was loaded or unloaded?  did the pully that tightens the belt get jammed out of rig?

Does the modle have a park brake?

Does the engine "load up" when it is put in gear or  "stop"?

It is pssible that the belt may be fallen off the idler pully, but not off the machine...

Let us know.. I doubt the trans is bad, They are built weel enough to hadle the size and weight of the unit.

Good Luck,

Friiy

FrankMA

Re: Problem with a Craftsman 917252451 Lawn Tractor
Reply #2   Jul 5, 2011 11:51 am
On the hitch plate at the back of the tractor, there should be what looks like a piece of wire sticking out of a hole towards the right hand side. This engages the tranny when pushed all the way in or allows the tranny to freewheel if pulled all the way out. You need to pull this wire outwards when moving the tractor around without the engine running otherwise you can damage the tranny. Make sure this is pushed all the way in before you start the engine and it should work. If you got the owners manual with the tractor, there should be a section that goes into some detail about this feature of the transmission. I'm assuming that you have the hydro transmission and not the gear drive model.
This message was modified Jul 5, 2011 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42