Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Trimmer brands - Are there really any good brands?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Trimmer brands - Are there really any good brands?
Original Message   May 30, 2011 4:36 am
I am in the market for a "weed wacker", or trimmer.  I don't know which brands are any good, anymore.  I don't really trust any of them too much because of what I perceive as a general decline in quality with the various manufacturers.  Am I being too overly dramatic about this?  I'm thinking of Craftsman, Huqvarna, Stihl, Echo, and Toro as examples.  The usual brands.  I'd like one with the multiple attachments feature, easy start, straight shaft, perhaps a 2-cycle, and around 27cc in size.  I find it sad that too many comments online about personal experiences with a given gas model will range from wonderful results to terrible results for one reason or another, and not just issues with the engine.  I noticed this with a Craftsman model.  Maybe I should consider an electric or battery model?  I find snow blowers and lawn mowers easier to figure out!  Thanks much for any help.
This message was modified May 30, 2011 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Replies: 9 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CHarley

Re: Trimmer brands - Are there really any good brands?
Reply #9   Jun 1, 2011 9:34 pm
Hi Everyone:  One thing I haven't seen mentioned, starter in the back (instead of the driveshaft side), indicating two main bearings, most likely roller.  The engines with the starter on the driveshaft side are, I believe, single, plain main bearing engines, like old, inexpensive model airplane engines.  I know Ryobi at least makes both types.  Had bad luck with the cheap one, have  many hours on their "Pro" model.
CHarley
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #10   Jun 5, 2011 4:29 pm
borat wrote:
Echo.

Absolutely! I have the PAS-260 which accepts  different attachments. I have  used the string trimmer and edger weekly during the season for the last 6 years with no problems. I bought their Back Pack Blower (PB-602) and hedge clipper(HCR-1500) at the same time with the same result. There may be units out there that are just as good but you can't go wrong with ECHO.

I don't know if those units sold at the box stores are the same as those sold at the OPE dealers. I would check that issue before purchasing.

Marc

This message was modified Jun 5, 2011 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #11   Jun 6, 2011 1:24 am
mml4 wrote:
Absolutely! I have the PAS-260 which accepts  different attachments. I have  used the string trimmer and edger weekly during the season for the last 6 years with no problems. I bought their Back Pack Blower (PB-602) and hedge clipper(HCR-1500) at the same time with the same result. There may be units out there that are just as good but you can't go wrong with ECHO.

I don't know if those units sold at the box stores are the same as those sold at the OPE dealers. I would check that issue before purchasing.

Marc

mmI4:  Thanks for concurring with borat on the Echo.  I've seen other good comments elsewhere online about Echo.  Since my original post, I've found a local real dealer (not big box) in my area who carries Echo. I'll have to pay them a visit. 
This message was modified Jun 6, 2011 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Bill_H

Reply #12   Jun 6, 2011 2:52 pm
mml4 wrote:

Strongly agree. If there's even a chance they're different, go to a dealer.
Another thing - I've never regretted picking the model I need and can afford, and then stepping up one. Better the pain in your wallet one time than wishing you hadn't gotten the less expensive one every time you use it.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
borat

Reply #13   Jun 6, 2011 11:10 pm
I own a few Echo products.  Some bought from a dealer and some from Home Depot.  No difference in quality of manufacturing from either source.   As far as I know Echo is does not re-badge inferior products with their name.  
Replies: 9 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42