Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Chinese engine Surging I am Stumped

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
edgenet

If you enjoy doing it, It's not work

Chinese engine Surging I am Stumped
Original Message   May 28, 2011 10:02 pm
Chinese engine Surging I am Stumped

I have an MTD Lawnmower with this huge black Chinese engine. When the choke is applied it starts in the 2nd pull and runs ok till I remove the choke and the engine surges like crazy and once again when I apply the choke the engine runs nice and smooth. I removed the carb and when I opened up the bowl it was spotless.  I removed the main jet it was spotless. I cleaned everything I could reassemble and the surging was the same as before. What have I missed?

If you are getting paid for what you are doing No matter how much you Enjoy it,   It's a Job
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
carlb

Re: Chinese engine Surging I am Stumped
Reply #1   May 29, 2011 7:52 am
does it surge when under a load? Some engines will surge at full throttle when not under a load since the carburetor is mainly on the idle circuit when not under a load.
If you have not tried mowing with it I would see how it reacts when you are mowing and go from there. Does the engine have a throttle, or is it always at full throttle?

Carl
borat

Re: Chinese engine Surging I am Stumped
Reply #2   May 30, 2011 10:02 am
Is the engine brand new or have you had it for a while?  Might be a chance that your pilot jet is restricted or blocked.  Try cleaning the carb.   If it's new, you may want to look at enlarging the pilot jet by either replacing it with a larger one or opening up the existing one.  However, if you don't have experience or understanding of jetting should leave the jet modification to someone who does. 
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42