Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda / Briggs & Stratton Engine questions

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bus708

Honda / Briggs & Stratton Engine questions
Original Message   May 19, 2011 9:35 am
What is the difference in Honda GC series and GX  series engines? I'm looking at lawnmowers? Will a GC last as long as a GX?  I also here allot of feedback  from consumer Reports and others that the carbs on Honda Engines are very finicky and will mess up easy if the wrong gas and additive is not used. I also read about pull cord failures. I do not know of this applys to snow blowers or even the GX series. Most lawnmowers use the GC series engine. What is your opinion on Honda lawnmowers, or is a Toro a better machine? I here and see allot of  Toro/ Briggs  & Stratton  throwing oil out  around the gov too. I'm getting frustrated. It seems nobody is building anything with  quality anymore. The only walk behind Honda has with a Gx series engine  cost $1200.  I'v seen  tractors cheaper.
This message was modified May 19, 2011 by bus708
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
borat

Re: Honda / Briggs & Stratton Engine questions
Reply #1   May 19, 2011 9:48 am
GC engines are usually light duty and construction is not as robust as a GX.  The GC will have an aluminum bore and usually has an over head cam.  It may also have bushings in places rather than ball/roller bearing.  A  GX  engine is usually an over head valve, push rod type engine (but not exclusively), with a steel bore and bearings.

Nothing wrong with modern B&S engines.   Their ohv engines seem to be fine.  I have a Kool Bore 305cc on my snow thrower and it's been a strong performer but it does use some oil.
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42