Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > mower starting question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
daniel

mower starting question
Original Message   May 12, 2011 4:31 pm
Hello,

I thought I was going crazy, but the problem is repeating this season so I will ask the experts.  I have a Toro recycler push mower.  I give it 10 good pulls, and it never starts.  Then I take the cap off the spark plug and jam it back on there, and it starts first pull.  I don't know how i got into this weird routine, but now it seems to be the only way to start it.  Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks,
Dan

Toro 826 OXE Snowblower, Echo PB-500 backpack blower, Toro 22" high wheel recycler mower, Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited 6 spd :)
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
bus708

Re: mower starting question
Reply #1   May 12, 2011 5:08 pm
Hi,

Check your spark plug for the correct type and gap it correctly. Lawn mowers have weak spark as compaired to a car. I think you have the wrong sparkplug and your gap is to wide. Most lawnmower sparkplugs do not have a screw on cap on the spark plug. I think you have a sparkplug made for a car in your lawnmower.  Check and or change it. Let me know how you make out.

This message was modified May 12, 2011 by bus708
borat

Reply #2   May 12, 2011 5:39 pm
Check the inside of the spark plug cap for rust or dirt and clean it with a round file or anything else you can get in there to clean it.  Also, switch your spark plug to see what that does.  The plug might be defective.
This message was modified May 12, 2011 by borat
daniel

Reply #3   Apr 23, 2012 10:53 am
Just wanted to update, thanks for the advice, put on a new plug yesterday (and new rear baffle, what a pain that was), and it started on first pull :)

I noticed in the manual, when you tip your lawnmower on the side, always tip it with sparkplug up (to prevent getting it wet?). I wonder if that contributed to the problem, because I never paid much attention to which way I tipped it whenever the drive belt would come off or something would get jammed in there.  Good to know!

So after three hours of cursing and kicking the mower, I am ready to go with a new baffle, new skirt, new starter cord handle, freshly sharpened blade, and new sparkplug.  Now if only I could grow some nice grass instead of all this moss and weeds.

Thanks,
Dan

Toro 826 OXE Snowblower, Echo PB-500 backpack blower, Toro 22" high wheel recycler mower, Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited 6 spd :)
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42