Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Some Help With The Wheels On My New (old-real old) Ariens

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
smeltjr

Some Help With The Wheels On My New (old-real old) Ariens
Original Message   May 1, 2011 9:40 pm
First post on these forums and I like the snowblower specific format. I got an old Ariens 910019. It looks to be a 1974 with a Tecumseh 6hp. Belonged to an employee of mine and then my boss. Got it on the cheap and it looks to have had a pretty easy life. I rebuilt the carb and motor runs well. I'll be tearing it down some to do regular maintenance as much looks original including maybe the belt and even the shear pins. The shafts do turn fine when I pulled them with the orange paint and I greased the auger.

Question is on wheels and exactly how they come off. It has a differential on the left side (when the operator position). We will start with the other side. No diff on the right and I got the plastic hubcap off and there is a gizmo that does not look like anything on the parts list. This is a 4-eared piece of sheet metal that has a "cage inside. I do not know if this is one part or two. Looks like the ears hold on the hubcap and i do not know if this piece is just supposed to slide off. It is pretty rusted. Or, I do not know if the "cage within it comes off and how. I assume parts are not readily available and i do not want to mangle anything. Then looks like wheel is 3 bolts. The manuals available online say nothing about this. I guess wheels never needed to come off of things then. Then.....we'll get to the diff side.

I want to take these off as the tires look original and are a bit dry rotted. One is losing air very slowly. Tire size on originals looks 4.1- 6. I will not use chains and if anyone can also recommend tires and maybe some installation hints. Thanks for any help. Probably lots more questions to follow as I go along on the machine.

Replies: 3 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
smeltjr

Re: Some Help With The Wheels On My New (old-real old) Ariens
Reply #3   May 3, 2011 7:23 pm
Thanks Shryp and Trouts.

I do not see any cotter pin holding the "eared" nut on, but on second look apperrs with the 3 bolts out it will clear the hub and maybe it is back behind the axle. I assume that you can clear the diff knob on the left side the same way?

Thanks for the tire recommendations. Are these all tubed? Or tubeless tires? Are there tubes in them OEM? Going to hook the tach and check engine rpms and next split the case and change what looks to be maybe an original belt. I can make out what looks Ariens 72047 or Ariens 72041 on it. Then glean and lube 'er up.

Shryp

Re: Some Help With The Wheels On My New (old-real old) Ariens
Reply #4   May 3, 2011 9:23 pm
Ariens has all the manuals for free download.  The manuals list the OEM part numbers.
http://www.ariens.com/corporate/Pages/OwnerManuals.aspx

The tires I have seen have all been tubed, but I have not seen the older series like you have or the newer series.

After you remove the 3 bolts the rim will clear all the hubs just fine.
Replies: 3 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42