Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 421 Recall a Fact

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
CharlesW

Toro 421 Recall a Fact
Original Message   Apr 24, 2011 11:37 am
The recall letter for my Toro 421 QE came Saturday.

Seems to verify what has been posted previously.

Parts available at authorized dealers in late June.

They ask you to contact your servicing dealer after July 1 to have the repair done.

Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Toro 421 Recall a Fact
Reply #5   Apr 28, 2011 9:27 am
aa335

Reply #6   Apr 28, 2011 9:57 am
mml4 wrote:
I own a Toro 2450GTS which is a fine machine but there was a recall on those for gas tank leaks as well.  Having had that problem one would think Toro would "get it right" going into the next generation. 

Marc

Considering that Toro has "gotten it right" on everything else on the 421Q, I can tolerate the gas leak.  I've since installed a gas shut off valve which takes less than 5 minutes to do without pulling out any covers.  This problem is more of a supplier issue than a design flaw on Toro's part.
This message was modified Apr 28, 2011 by aa335
CharlesW

Reply #7   Apr 29, 2011 8:41 am
First off, I am very happy with my 421QE, but........

While it is a supplier issue with the carburetor leak and very likely was a supplier issue withthe gas tank leak on other models, it does seem that the Toro quality control was not very good.

The carburetor problem with the Loncin engines was a known issue long before it was acknowledged.

I also added the gas shutoff valve and have had no problems whatsoever.

What makes it a sore point with me, what about those people that buy a piece of equipment from what they think is a reliable supplier and plan on using it, not modifying or rebuilding it?

Had I not read about the problem on some internet sites, I sure wasn't planning on adding a gas valve to what was supposed to be a top of the line SS machine.

I also think Toro was quite lax in releasing information about the problem. Like someone posted earlier, I think they were more concerned with sales than with safety.

Toro's reputation has taken a hit and in my opinion, they deserve it.

alty

Reply #8   May 1, 2011 12:27 pm
I'm thinking of also installing a shut-off valve on my Toro 421QE snowblower.  Where's the best place to pick up a

1/4" shut-off? -   Hardware store / OPE Dealer / or Auto Parts store?

It looks like I have room to install it without removing any baffles or housing.

Thanks - John

FrankMA

Reply #9   May 1, 2011 9:15 pm
All of the one's you mentioned plus Sears, HD and Lowes. The local BB stores near me usually have a good OPE parts section.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #10   May 8, 2011 7:19 am
aa335 wrote:
Considering that Toro has "gotten it right" on everything else on the 421Q, I can tolerate the gas leak.  I've since installed a gas shut off valve which takes less than 5 minutes to do without pulling out any covers.  This problem is more of a supplier issue than a design flaw on Toro's part.

Sorry AA but I couldn't disagree more!-Toro single stage machines have a reputation of being excellent at moving snow accompanied by gas leak problems due to carburetor and tank issues going back 20 years. The machines are manufactured under their name and I don't think it an unfair criticism or expectation that they "get it right" given their history. After all they pick the suppliers.

With regard to the installation of the gas valve-If you check the archives here you will find I posted photos of a gas valve installation on my 2450 some time ago. This is another gripe I have against Toro. Why isn't  a fuel shut off standard equiptment on a machine that costs as much as their single stage units?

I own 3 Toro machines of varying types.They are all of excellent design and not one of them hasn't been the subject of a recall. Love the machines-HATE THE COMPANY!!!

Sorry for the rant,

Marc

This message was modified May 8, 2011 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
borat

Reply #11   May 8, 2011 9:23 pm
Have to agree with Marc concerning Toro company arrogance.   That same arrogance seems to infect their dealerships as well.   I've only bought one Toro product new and that was from Home Depot because I refuse to drop a dime at the Toro dealership. 

Great machines made and sold by less than great people.   I also agree that for the price of the machine, an inline fuel filter and a fuel shut off valve should be standard equipment. 
CharlesW

Reply #12   May 8, 2011 10:37 pm
borat wrote:
Have to agree with Marc concerning Toro company arrogance.   That same arrogance seems to infect their dealerships as well.   I've only bought one Toro product new and that was from Home Depot because I refuse to drop a dime at the Toro dealership. 

Great machines made and sold by less than great people.   I also agree that for the price of the machine, an inline fuel filter and a fuel shut off valve should be standard equipment. 

My 2011 421 QE did come with an in-line fuel filter, but no fuel shut-off valve.

Also, my Toro dealer has been great to work with.

aa335

Reply #13   May 9, 2011 10:12 am
Marc and Borat,

It's been fairly quiet on this forum so I appreciate a little disagreement for discussion.  :)

As I have mentioned before, I find this defect "tolerable" in my eyes.  Many people may not agree with my view.  It's a combination of my having a back up machine that I won't be without a snowblower in a blizzard, controlling the amount of fuel leakage to a minimum with a shut off valve, and the being exposed in a fast paced development programs, balancing risks is just part of the business.

It doesn't mean that I find it acceptable and excusable for Toro to have such an lapse on their suppliers.  Not one bit.  As a top company, they should be all over their suppliers for issues like this.  The company's reputation is on the line and I bet the company made a calculated risk to make the sales figures while balancing customer satisfaction.  In the days of publicly traded companies, the end user of the product is not the ONLY customer.  Investors are the other customers.  Too often, the voices of the shareholders are heard more loudly than voices of the end user.  They want their dividends quarterly, they can care less about Customer Joe B and Customer Larry C about a puddle of gasoline in their garage.  "lets get them out the market and deal with the problems later"

Speaking of gas shut offs and inline filters, Toro does have an inline filter, but not a gas shut off.  They should have one, accessible at the top control panel or near it.  Honda has one for years and still does.  Their gas shut off is clearly visible so when you put away the snowblower, you know if you have it closed or open.  It probably doesn't cost too much for Toro to have one, but cutting corners probably made a good bullet point for someone's resume in the name of cost savings.

As far as Toro dealers in my area, most have been good in my experience.  Toro does have a strict pricing policy so the dealers are not pitted against themselves and the big box stores.  That seems to make them a lot more friendlier.  In fact, Toro dealer density in this area is quite high, it is not in their good interest to be nasty and snooty.
This message was modified May 9, 2011 by aa335
aa335

Reply #14   Nov 22, 2011 11:05 pm
Just an update.

My Toro 421QE did have a fuel leak last winter.  It is now at the Toro dealer getting a new carburetor and fuel line.  There's quite a few other 421's with the same status.

The mechanic assured me that once the recall service was performed, these machines don't come back with the same fuel leak problem.  There's really nothing else that has gone wrong with the Loncin engine.
Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42