Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Scored a CCR3000 - Carb needs Cleaning

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
FrankMA

Scored a CCR3000 - Carb needs Cleaning
Original Message   Mar 16, 2011 7:19 am
It's in decent condition, new rubber impeller, scraper bar and overall good shape. The guy I bought it from said it had been professionally serviced 2 years ago but had seen little use since then as he decided to hire a plow guy to do his average residential driveway. I could not get it to start after adding some fresh fuel that I brought with me so I offered him $ 40.00 and said OK. - he had it listed for $ 75.00 on CL. I'm pretty sure he left some old, unstabilized fuel in there and it turned into varnish.

I removed the top and back covers and dropped the fuel bowl. It looked like a bad batch of applesauce in there so I cleaned it out and shot the carb with carb cleaner and reinstalled the bowl. It fired up for a few seconds and then died. A good carb cleaning appears to be in order and I'm wondering if I can do this with the carb installed or is it easier/better to remove it from the engine (Suzuki 47P)? I've never removed a carb before but am mechanically inclined and would like to get this operational for next winter.

I remember Borat discussing a cleaning of the jets using wires to remove any build up inside that could cause fuel starvation. I have never done this so any suggestions or tips will be very much appreciated.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Replies: 93 - 102 of 109Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
trouts2

Re: Scored a CCR3000 - Carb needs Cleaning
Reply #93   Apr 21, 2011 3:07 pm
Niper99,

The needle goes in its slot without resistance.  It flops around when upright in the slot.  It should not stay in position when tipped.  It should fall out, no resistance.  The needle mid section is smaller than the needle hole.  It can move in there but the movement is tiny.  The loose needle will always lign up with the seat hole.

This message was modified Apr 21, 2011 by trouts2
FrankMA

Reply #94   Apr 21, 2011 5:15 pm
I've gained a ton of experience from this project which is what I wanted, however I feel like this is going on far too long and would like to put this to rest.

What course of action do you think I should take??? Replace the o-rings and needle? I can probably remove the brass insert with a tap and die set in order to replace the o-rings. The float seems to be OK so I'd rule that out as a source of the problem. Where should I go from here?

The overall condition of the machine is excellent and I'd really like to get this operational for next season. I appreciate your suggestions.

This message was modified Apr 21, 2011 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
borat

Reply #95   Apr 21, 2011 5:42 pm
Send the carb to Trouts if he's interested.  You two guys aren't all that far apart right. 

I'd like to fix it myself but being in Canada.........
FrankMA

Reply #96   Apr 21, 2011 6:34 pm
borat wrote:
Send the carb to Trouts if he's interested.  You two guys aren't all that far apart right. 

I'd like to fix it myself but being in Canada.........

I travel through Marlboro quite often and have thought about paying him a visit.... What kind of beverage do you prefer Mr. Trouts2???

niper99

Reply #97   Apr 21, 2011 8:06 pm
trouts2 wrote:
Niper99,

The needle goes in its slot without resistance.  It flops around when upright in the slot.  It should not stay in position when tipped.  It should fall out, no resistance.  The needle mid section is smaller than the needle hole.  It can move in there but the movement is tiny.  The loose needle will always lign up with the seat hole.

frank lm curious if your needle and float do the same as trouts?? read above
FrankMA

Reply #98   Apr 22, 2011 5:31 am
niper99 wrote:
frank lm curious if your needle and float do the same as trouts?? read above

Yes - the needle sits loosely inside the seat area. When I mentioned a "sweet spot", I took the needle and kind of rotated around while it was inside the seat. It seemed as though there was one spot that the needle sort of favored. Maybe it just seemed that way to me, but the funny part was that it got the carb working. I did not have time to mess with it last night so I cannot prove if this is relevant. It's starting to get a bit old at this point.

trouts2

Reply #99   Apr 22, 2011 7:57 am
You could bring the machine here if you want.  I could go through the carb and try firing it up while you’re here.  If it’s still putzed up I’d dip it overnight.  I’m one mile and one turn off 495 exit 24A.  If you want to do that email me, trouts2@gmail.com. 

The needle should just fall into the needle hole from any 360 position above the hole.  The insert wall should be very clean like the carb on the right in post #92 and no crud or burs on the needle body.  It should not stick or catch in any way.  There should not be any sort of sweet spot for the needle as it’s all symmetrical in there.   

FrankMA

Reply #100   Apr 22, 2011 9:26 am
I'm going to try a bit more to get this resolved. Maybe another good cleaning in and around the seat will get her fixed. I'll replace the needle and seat if this does not work and will take you up on your offer trouts, if I still cannot get this running correctly. There has to be an obstruction in the seat area that's creating this problem. I'll try to get to it again in the next day or so and will advise.

trouts2

Reply #101   Apr 22, 2011 12:38 pm
    I'd get a strong light and magnifying glass peep into the needle area.  Taking a picture is easier if your camera can focus close.  On high res you can back away a bit and then blowup the image on the computer.  The area should be very clean. 

In back of the seat you can only deal with poking and flushing.  

Worse case bring the machine over and we'll take a look at "the carburetor that ate Cleveland". 

friiy

Reply #102   Apr 22, 2011 7:32 pm
So, just a recap...  The unit runs, but still surges under no load ?

Are you sure the upper fixed jet is clear ?  (The one that screws down in on the top to the carb) ------  sorry, just have to ask...

Most people don't realize that the jet has a small metered hole on the bottom that intersects with the main hole that is drilled straight through....

It may be that some shop has replaced this metered jet  in the last 14 years with something they had "laying around" out of another carb.... (a smaller leaner jet)

....Or drill the hole out one size larger with a small wire gauge drill bit, going just  one size larger then what  will currently fit..

You may want to try as a option,  taking that jet  and file it out with a "torch tip cleaner",  making that jet larger for more fuel flow at low speed when the engine is surging..

You have spent a lot of time on this unit already, It is about time to try something new.....(we all like to work on stuff,  But I would kill myself if I spent 2 weeks of my life working on it with no results)

Good Luck,

Friiy

P.S. like these....http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=torch+tip+cleaner&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=12703130376543052729&sa=X&ei=rw2yTYfJAaTL0QHEoZWKCQ&ved=0CC0Q8wIwAA#

Replies: 93 - 102 of 109Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42