Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > engine pully size change

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bus708

engine pully size change
Original Message   Apr 18, 2011 5:50 pm
I want to slow my blower down yet keep my auger speed the same. Does anyone know ware I can find a new pully. My unit is a Ariens 824 with a Techumseh 8 hp snow king?  Ariens does not sell a different size pulley for my engine.   I know i'm going to need a different size belt too. 
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Bill_H

Re: engine pully size change
Reply #1   Apr 18, 2011 8:55 pm
http://www.mcmaster.com/#pulleys-for-belts/=bxphu1

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
carlb

Reply #2   Apr 19, 2011 6:24 am
I would assume that you want to slow down the forward speed of your snow blower without effecting the auger/blower speed.  If that is the case wouldn't it be easier to re-adjust the position of the friction disk closer to the center of the drive disk in low gear?  The added benefit to doing this is it will increase reverse which always seems to be to slow.

Carl
bus708

Reply #3   Apr 19, 2011 11:27 am
carlb wrote:
I would assume that you want to slow down the forward speed of your snow blower without effecting the auger/blower speed.  If that is the case wouldn't it be easier to re-adjust the position of the friction disk closer to the center of the drive disk in low gear?  The added benefit to doing this is it will increase reverse which always seems to be to slow.

Carl

That sounds like a good idea. I have no idea how to do that.  How is that done?
carlb

Reply #4   Apr 19, 2011 1:01 pm
Do you have the Manual for this machine?

There should be an adjustment at one end of the gear shift rod or the other that will change the relationship of the friction wheel and the drive disk on your blower.  I would suggest making 1/4 turn adjustments and try the machine in 1st gear.  If you go the wrong way just go back 1/2 turn and see how that is.  Once you determine the correct way to turn the adjustment, adjust the speed to your liking. Do not make big adjustments and keep track of how many turns and in what direction your are turning it.

carl
This message was modified Apr 19, 2011 by carlb
bus708

Reply #5   Apr 19, 2011 7:06 pm
carlb wrote:
Do you have the Manual for this machine?

There should be an adjustment at one end of the gear shift rod or the other that will change the relationship of the friction wheel and the drive disk on your blower.  I would suggest making 1/4 turn adjustments and try the machine in 1st gear.  If you go the wrong way just go back 1/2 turn and see how that is.  Once you determine the correct way to turn the adjustment, adjust the speed to your liking. Do not make big adjustments and keep track of how many turns and in what direction your are turning it.

carl

Thanks for the info.  I will try it.
jrtrebor

Reply #6   Apr 20, 2011 11:10 pm
You can find pulleys on ebay. But you will have to buy two new pulleys. One 2 3/4" which is the standard impeller drive pulley size.  And a smaller one for the tractor drive pulley.
I've done a lot of messing around with the drive system on my 1132 Ariens.  The problem that the Ariens system has is that if you slow down the forward speeds you also slow down the reverse speed.
Which is what will happen if you use a smaller pulley.  The stock reverse speed for me is already to slow. So using a smaller pulley was not an option.
I currently have my friction wheel adjusted to give me the fastest reverse speed. This summer I'm going to see if I can modify the linkage arms to allow the disk to move further to the right.
Which will increase the reverse speed.  And then see if cutting new slots for the shift lever to lock into. Will allow me to create a new slot that will put the disk just to the left of center for a slower
first gear.  Again, dropping the pulley size will allow you to get a slower first gear speed.  But at the expense of having your reverse speed go down as well.
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42