Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman single stage snow blower.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Craftsman single stage snow blower.
Original Message   Mar 28, 2011 12:19 pm
Decided to make this a new topic

aa335 , continueing discussion.

Finally got the snow blower home from Sears.

It is a 2009  Craftsman Model 52844 (never sold) single stage.

All red ,except chute, plastic enclosure with  removable cooling ducts on the top for engine access.

22 inch

Electric start

Briggs side valve (L head) engine.    spark plug on the top , surrounded  by the cooling fins

Briggs 475 series 148cc   4.75 torque, ( Sears rates it at 5.25 torque)

Has throttle , choke and primer button.

It weighs 70-80 pounds  (guess)

Crank to rotate chute , manual deflector

I think it was built by Murray.

I have never operated a single stage snow blower before, and since there is no snow in the driveway ,

but some frozen snow in the backyard  i used a scoop and made a pile about 3 feet wide and 6 ft long , about a foot deep , to try it.

I checked the oil, it was full,  filled it with gas, it had been empty, put the choke on, pushed plunger 3 times, set the throttle  to about half speed,

It started with the second pull, took choke off, it ran smoothly   , and much quieter than my other blower.

After a few minutes, I  pushed the throttle to full speed, engaged the auger and headed for the snow.

It did a good job with the snow , got rid of it in a few minutes , throwing it about  20-25  feet.

I think that I will have a lot of fun with it next winter, especially for the lighter snow storms.

$199.99 ,  ($224.87 with the 13% tax)

This message was modified Mar 28, 2011 by royster

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
aa335

Re: Craftsman single stage snow blower.
Reply #1   Mar 28, 2011 12:36 pm
Congrats on scoring a new single stage.  That's a great deal for a brand new machine.  I thought t was a B&S built machine but from what you described, that machine has been around for several years so all the bugs should be flushed out by now.

Single stage machines are fun to operate.  They can handle a foot of fresh snow very well.  Wet heavy snow can be a workout, but the same with a 2 stage machine, pace it so the RPM doesn't drop too low and it should throw snow just fine.

I've been using single stage snowblower more than my 2-stage snowblower when I'm not in a hurry and don't need wind protection with a snow cab.  Single are maneuverable and I don't get as tired working a 2-stage.

Any pics?
This message was modified Mar 28, 2011 by aa335
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42