Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere X300

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
victor56

John Deere X300
Original Message   Mar 28, 2011 10:04 am
Hello,

I have John Deere X300 with 90 hours on it. I started it up yesterday and it ran for about 10-15 seconds and then it cut out. I tried restarting it and will not crank all you hear is just a click. Does anybody have any ideas what maybe the problem

Thank You

Rob Lewis

Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
borat

Re: John Deere X300
Reply #4   Mar 29, 2011 2:13 pm
Thanks for the new info.  You didn't tell us any of that in your original post.  Generally speaking, that kind of information is relevant.

Have you put a volt meter on the battery?  If so, what voltage is it reading?  Can you rotate the engine manually to ensure that all internals are where they should be?   Pull the spark plugs and try to turn the engine over manually.  Get back to us.
niper99

Reply #5   Mar 29, 2011 8:15 pm
is this an over head valve engine? i get alot of machines in with this same description and usually the valves need to be adjusted. they become loose over time and when that happens it causes the compression release not work, and this causes to much compression for the starter to turn the engine over. easy fix takes ten minutes. they should be adjusted yearly.
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #6   Mar 29, 2011 8:48 pm
Which issue are you asking about? The fact that is won't keep running or the fact that the starter will not turn over the engine?

For the starter:
- So it started and ran (even for 10 seconds). That means the engine turns & isn't seized.
- Clicking sound in this circumstance can mean the battery voltage is too low. You changed the battery
- Next thing I would check is the starter solenoid, then the starter. Pull the starter & solenoid from the motor together, leave them hooked up & try starting. If the solenoid engages & the starter turns, they should be ok. If not, test them one by one. Sometimes the contacts can become worn or pitted causing intermittent problems. Do as Borat said & make sure all the connections are clean & tight before replacing parts.

Don't you have to charge up a new battery properly  before you use it to make sure it is fully charged?
This message was modified Mar 29, 2011 by GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp
victor56

Reply #7   Mar 30, 2011 9:13 am
I put volt meter on it read 12.3. I also took out plugs and tried manually with no luck. Engine Kawasaki 17hp V-Twin

Thank You

Rob Lewis

Moderator Denis

Reply #8   Mar 30, 2011 4:36 pm
Hi Victor and welcome to the forum, wich city are you in NJ?
This message was modified Mar 31, 2011 by Denis

borat

Reply #9   Mar 30, 2011 8:55 pm
Is the starter disengaged?  If not, it might be stuck in the cogs of the flywheel thus not allowing you to turn the engine manually.  Make sure the starter is not engaged with the flywheel and the spark plugs are out and try to turn it over again.   What method are you using to turn the engine manually?    By the way, 12.3 volts is barely charged.  It should be up around 12.5 to 12.7. 
niper99

Reply #10   Mar 31, 2011 12:29 am
while u have the plugs removed crank the engine over with the starter like u normally would...if it cranks over then check valve adjustment....if it doesnt then compressions is not the problem. check battery and ground connection as mentioned already....12.3 volts should crank the engine over just fine...12.6 v is a fully charged battery.
borat

Reply #11   Mar 31, 2011 9:42 am
True.  12.3 volts indicates that the battery is 70% charged.  My point is that if it's a new battery, it should be fully charged.  Unless futile attempts to start the engine have drained it to where it's reading. 

Keep a charger on the battery until you get the engine started and let us know what the problem is/was once you figure it out. 
tompatt

Reply #12   Oct 18, 2012 1:08 pm
I have a x300 that will generally start most of the time. the problem appears to be once in a while when attempt to start it just clicks. Battery is fully charged. My guess is a dead spot on starter. any advice on changing/testing starter

thanks

wcarvalho

Reply #13   Nov 9, 2012 1:47 pm
I have a john deere X300 riding mower and want to adjust the valve clearance.  How is it done?
This message was modified Nov 9, 2012 by wcarvalho
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42