Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro mower very difficult to start

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
edgenet

If you enjoy doing it, It's not work

Toro mower very difficult to start
Original Message   Mar 15, 2011 4:25 pm

Toro mower very difficult to start

I have a Toro model 20526C Lawnmower  walk behind  I believe it has a Suzuki OVH engine I can’t see a name on the engine.  I cleaned out the carb. Change the oil and installed a new plug.  I also made sure the chock closes correctly ( no primer bulb) I find the engine need at least 10 pulls to start and when it starts it putters and then clanks  for a few seconds is if the blade is hitting the side of the deck. Once it starts it runs nice and smooth with just a bit of a vibration. Any  thoughts. Thanks

This message was modified Mar 16, 2011 by edgenet

If you are getting paid for what you are doing No matter how much you Enjoy it,   It's a Job
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
edgenet

Re: Toro mower very difficult to start
Reply #2   Mar 19, 2011 6:03 pm
Update  I can not believe how smooth this Suzuki engine runs considering it's a 1988  I can imagine what the equiv  price of this Toro would sell for in 2011. Just goes to show you what manafucturing leaders could do Japanes engine with an American deck. A real winner

As a side note Canadian Tire in Toronto are selling  new Lawn Mowers for $99.98  The Chinese are killing our jobs one small cut at a time. Death by 1,000 cuts.  Why bother fixing or maintaining at this price 

If you are getting paid for what you are doing No matter how much you Enjoy it,   It's a Job
FrankMA

Reply #3   Mar 20, 2011 8:25 am
edgenet wrote:
Update  I can not believe how smooth this Suzuki engine runs considering it's a 1988  I can imagine what the equiv  price of this Toro would sell for in 2011. Just goes to show you what manafucturing leaders could do Japanes engine with an American deck. A real winner

As a side note Canadian Tire in Toronto are selling  new Lawn Mowers for $99.98  The Chinese are killing our jobs one small cut at a time. Death by 1,000 cuts.  Why bother fixing or maintaining at this price 

I think this is the end game - make replacement OPE so inexpensive that it's not worth fixing any longer and the consumer just keeps buying new junk.
This message was modified Mar 20, 2011 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
aa335

Reply #4   Mar 20, 2011 9:24 am
FrankMA wrote:
I think this is the end game - make replacement OPE so inexpensive that it's not worth fixing any longer and the consumer just keeps buying new junk.

Not only this, the labor cost some shops charge is so ridiculous that makes consumer wonder why they should put up with headaches, lies, and cheats. $85 for carb cleaning because people forget to run gasoline out before summer storage is quite harsh.
borat

Reply #5   Mar 20, 2011 9:58 am
aa335 wrote:
Not only this, the labor cost some shops charge is so ridiculous that makes consumer wonder why they should put up with headaches, lies, and cheats. $85 for carb cleaning because people forget to run gasoline out before summer storage is quite harsh.

I get a laugh when I read the local ads for people selling used OPE.  The last one I read, a guy was selling a used Yard Machines SS snow blower in good shape that probably retails for $450.00 new.  He was asking $395.00 for it because he just spent $290.00 getting it repaired at the local Toro dealership.  Good luck.   People get scalped and try to recover their loss by asking far more than the machine is worth.  I see quite a bit of that.  He'll be  lucky to cover the cost of repairs.  Personally, for that repair bill, I'd tell the dealership that he can keep it.
edgenet

Reply #6   Mar 20, 2011 1:32 pm
borat wrote:
I get a laugh when I read the local ads for people selling used OPE.  The last one I read, a guy was selling a used Yard Machines SS snow blower in good shape that probably retails for $450.00 new.  He was asking $395.00 for it because he just spent $290.00 getting it repaired at the local Toro dealership.  Good luck.   People get scalped and try to recover their loss by asking far more than the machine is worth.  I see quite a bit of that.  He'll be  lucky to cover the cost of repairs.  Personally, for that repair bill, I'd tell the dealership that he can keep it.

Many repair shops in the Toronto are asking  for a $100 deposit just incase the customer says keep it. The shop then tries to unloaded for the used item for $100 less then the price of a new machine. This is the only way they can stay in business. Many shops repair mowers and snowblowers as a side line most focus on commercial stuff,  ATV and Snowmobles.

borat

Reply #7   Mar 22, 2011 8:59 am
Here's a quote from a guy trying to sell an MTD snow blower for $650.00

"Bought in 2008.  10.5, working good.  And just pend $180 to replace belt.

Can you imagine someone paying $180.00 to change a belt?  Super gouged!!!

This message was modified Mar 22, 2011 by borat
aa335

Reply #8   Mar 22, 2011 9:55 am
$180 for belt replacement.  $30 in parts, $150 (2.5 hours) in labor?

I haven't yet need to replace a belt on a 2 stage snowblower  How long does it take and what's involved? 
borat

Reply #9   Mar 22, 2011 1:50 pm
I've only had to change belts on my Craftsman machines.  Auger belt only, once per ten years.  Maybe half an hour job if not in a hurry.

When people don't have basic mechanical aptitude nor the willingness to learn, they are prime victims for gouging dealerships.  It was a slow winter for the local Toro/Ariens dealership who more than likely did the work.  Got to make up for the loss somewhere.........
aa335

Reply #10   Mar 22, 2011 2:07 pm
borat wrote:
I've only had to change belts on my Craftsman machines.  Auger belt only, once per ten years.  Maybe half an hour job if not in a hurry.

When people don't have basic mechanical aptitude nor the willingness to learn, they are prime victims for gouging dealerships.  It was a slow winter for the local Toro/Ariens dealership who more than likely did the work.  Got to make up for the loss somewhere.........

This is a vicious cycle that hurts both dealers and consumers.  Gouging, cheats, and lies from the dealers that steers consumers towards buying low priced disposable products that takes away business opportunities from repair shops.  Buying low priced disposable products takes jobs away from America.  Anybody seen this trend?
friiy

Reply #11   Apr 2, 2011 5:47 pm
Those Suzuki engines are great,  they were sold as "GTS"  which stood for "Guarranteed to Start"  for five years in just two pulls (with propper maintenance)... My dad still uses one weekly form 1986.  (runs great still).

That line of Toro was the most expensive homeowner mower made that we sold ---  about $599 back in the day,  it had the option of electric start,  BBC (blade brake clutch),  and self propell (3 speed gearbox / feathering belt engage)...

Only things i could recommend on that mower is to grease the zerks on the axle,  tighten your belt knob adjustment down by the rear gearbox (if propelled), and keep the air cleaner foam washed and oiled..

Friiy

Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42