Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > help with a Bolens snowblower restoration

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jgreen

help with a Bolens snowblower restoration
Original Message   Jan 31, 2005 12:26 pm
My friend  who is moving to CA has given me his snowblower.   It is a 1978 Bolens with 8 hp Tecumseh engine.  ( the engine was replaced in the early 90s). 

I havent  got the serial numbers or model numbers off it yet  ( it is currently stored in another friends garage.) .   but does anybody  know if parts are still avaiable for this unit. or an owners manaual?

My friend told me the motor was running when he stored it but it has not been run it  5 plus years !  .   He said he stopped using it because " the impeller was clanking around in the bucket housing !"   . what might be the cause of that   ????

The other things Ican see need attention are two flat tires . How do you fix those???    the box that covers the carb is not attached  .

and when I pulled the starter rope to see if the motor was siezed  the motor seemed to turn over but  the rope didnt retract.    any ideas on that. 

Do you think this one is worth saving ?     I had good luck restoring my  yardman   (whith help fom this group)   but in that case i just unstuck the motor and repaired some minor parts.

Providing  Ican get the motor running     I am guessing some sort of bearing is gone which is causing the impeller to clank around in the housing.   is this a hard repair??

Any  first thoughts from you guys/gals.   and we will go from there.

John
Scotts 21" self propelled  mower
MTD  4.5 HP single stage snow thrower
Snapper 3 HP single stage snow thrower
Yardman 5HP two stage snowblower
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Re: help with a Bolens snowblower restoration
Reply #2   Jan 31, 2005 1:39 pm
Bolens and the pre-MTD Troy-Bilts were the exact same machine for a number of years except for the color. I believe that  some Bolens were green. I own a TroyBilt . If you can post a picture I will be able to tell you if it's the same machine. Parts are available through MTD for model #42010, 8hp,24inch auger width if you have the part #'s. The phone #'s  for MTD parts are:

1) (800)269-6215

2)(800)648-6776

Good luck,

Marc

This message was modified Jan 31, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
yates28

Ariens 1128le 924121 with Cast Iron gearbox

Reply #3   Jan 31, 2005 2:16 pm
Hi  jgreen,  I cannot answer all your questions but I can tell you that I had an old Craftsman blower that had the same impeller problem and when I seperated the blower bucket  I discovered a bearing on the backside of the bucket that the impeller shaft went though Kept in by  a keyway ( at least I think that's what they call it ) , I replaced this bearing and all was good.

Hope this helps

Al

This message was modified Jan 31, 2005 by yates28

millwright

MIllwrights keep the world running

Reply #4   Feb 1, 2005 1:02 pm
I s it a red machine I am rebuilding one now does it have a diffarential where you can free wheel it to turn very well built. take some  lube spray  and spray on inside  of recoil  remove spark plug wire and turn crankshaft to rewind the rope .do this a few times  check the bolts on the impellor should be2 holding it to the impellor shaft. If no broke  patr machine Bolens have 2 pulleys driving  the impellor shaft .lift themup and down to see if bearing is bad .  this is a start will help further if wanted.

millwright

jgreen

Reply #5   Feb 2, 2005 9:20 am
Hi Millwright,

It is not the redone or the green one .   it is kind of yellowish color.   (I asked my friend and he said that is the original color? )   I havent had a chance to realy check it out but I noticed some kind of "handle " spinner type device on one of the wheels  looks like a big red wing nut.  any ideas what that is?

I will  try lubing the recoil.   one question  I am not sure how to turn the crank shaft by hand ???   

It may be a few weeks  before I have time to get over to my friends garage and work on it.    I wish I had a garage  

I asked my friend to get any model numbers off it . As soon as he sends them to me I will update you guys.

John
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #6   Feb 2, 2005 1:20 pm
That may be a tension adjustment for the differential. Does it appear on both wheels? If it has a washer under the wing nut and a spring under that I'm pretty sure it"s the tension adjustment.

Marc 

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #7   Feb 2, 2005 1:25 pm
Sounds to me like its the "wheel lock" mechanism that allows you to bypass the diff and hard lock the wheel to the axle aka a pin lock functionality(IOW it gets hard to turn)

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
jgreen

Reply #8   Feb 2, 2005 3:50 pm
It is just on one wheel.   I guessed it was some type of  system to lock up both wheels.    I am still waiting for my friend to send me the serial /model numbers (IF he can find them)  I will then try the MTD website to see if they have a PDF version of the owners manual.   (they had one for my 1980 yard-man)   So I may get lucky.

John
bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #9   Feb 4, 2005 11:32 am
I could be wrong, but I think 1978 pre-dates Bolens relationship with Troy-Bilt or MTD. Your blower not being green or red in color indicates to me that it dates back to the good old days when Bolens was a proud independant manufacturer of fine machines. Having said that, do not dispair, a good repair shop should be able to match up parts from other manufacturers to replace what you need. The only things that might be real hard to find would be the auger, auger housing, and sheet metal covers that "style" it as a Bolens. Pins, sprockets, belts, keys, nuts, bolts, engine parts, cables, are all relatively generic and should be available with little or no modifications. I'd go ahead and evaluate what needs fixing and if it just needs the generic parts I mentioned, I'd certainly try to fix it up. First priority would be the engine, because without that, it is of little use. Best of luck on it!

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
jgreen

Reply #10   Feb 4, 2005 1:41 pm
I agree, I will start by trying to get the motor started.   I doesnt seem siezed   . When I pulled the starter rope the engine turned (althought the starter rope didnt retract).   I havent looked at the carb but the gas tank was empty.  My friend couldnt remember if he ran it dry or not.    .

As I said in another post the motor and  drive were working fine ,when the impeller started banging against the housing .   he then parked it in his shed and never toched it again.  at least 5 years !

I guess I will start with that, see if the wheel drive still works  and then address  the impeller issue.

John
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #11   Feb 5, 2005 6:01 pm
engine will need a carb kit..632347 should fit and possibly a bowl and float.starter is just a rusty spring most likley ,replacement is cheep if necessary.

the impeller will probably need a bearing and you will also need a few belts and a friction wheel is a posibitlty.

if the impeller shaft is not damaged from the bearing going bad (many do get scored quite bad).i would repair the machine.

a bolens of that year is a quality machine and it was well before troybilt.you would have a hard time finding one as heavy as that now.lotsa steel in those.

the tires can either be replaced with sno hogs (my choice ) or put in some tubes .a bit of paint and you will have a machine to be proud of .

later chrsi

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42