Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere's New Walk Behind Snow Blower 1338 PE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
streetbully

John Deere's New Walk Behind Snow Blower 1338 PE
Original Message   Feb 19, 2011 8:00 pm
I finally broke down and bought a new walk behind snow blower. After weeks of checking reviews and looking at many, I ended up going with the John Deere 1338 PE model. Not cheap, but very well constructed and no Mickey Mouse gimmicks. The 1338 PE is new for the 2010/2011 season and is the big brother to the 1332 PE. Man, does this unit blow snow!! The super wide 38" path it leaves behind is wonderful and eats up both fluffy and heavy snow with ease. Heated handle grips, power chute rotation, dual headlights, quick turn drive system, electric start and other features make this a very attractive blower. Anyone else out there buy this model?

Paul
Replies: 4 - 13 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
larrylaverne

Re: John Deere's New Walk Behind Snow Blower 1338 PE
Reply #4   Feb 20, 2011 8:38 am
nice snowblower, hope it serves you well i own a 1130se john deere and it is a great snowblower
borat

Reply #5   Feb 20, 2011 10:30 am
Is the 1338PE built on a Simplicity/Snapper platform?
streetbully

Reply #6   Feb 20, 2011 10:49 am
borat wrote:
Is the 1338PE built on a Simplicity/Snapper platform?

I'm not sure what the platform is, sorry. Anyone else know?
streetbully

Reply #7   Feb 20, 2011 11:21 am
I went out yesterday and bought a 2011 X300 42" JD lawn tractor, just want it for cutting grass (about 2 acres) and nothing else. I have a 1991 garden tractor I bought new which was a Lawn-Boy. I figured being 20 years old and 700 hours on it anything could let go now so I better pick up something new.  The Lawn-Boy was exactly the same as the 1991 Ford models just painted green and Lawn-Boy decals added. I have been told many times these were built by Gillson and some went to Ford and others to Lawn-Boy. Has a Kohler Magnum horizontal shaft engine with hydro transmission and 2 speed rear end. This has been a real work horse for me over the years, cutting grass, blowing snow, ripping soil and hauling/towing ridiculous amounts of weight when we had the hobby farm. I sold off the rear PTO tiller from it, but I will keep the 2 stage Ber Vac blower. Tractor needs a new electric PTO clutch, still trying to find one of those. Even though we no longer have the hobby farm I'll keep this tractor around for hauling. The X300 Deere I got yesterday is a MUCH lighter built tractor then the Lawn-Boy so I'll just keep the JD for the cutting grass. I hope the Deere lasts for a few years. I have 30 days to take it back or exchange it for another model. Any thoughts out there? Should I move up to a 500 series just to cut grass or am I ok? I'm new on here so if I ramble on too much please let me know.

Thanks,

Paul
FrankMA

Reply #8   Feb 20, 2011 12:31 pm
You should be fine if all you're going to do is cut grass and don't have a hilly yard. I mention this because the tranny in the 300 series is a light duty unit and is not serviceable. Hills heat up and break down the tranny fluid fairly quickly and this is killer for these light duty transaxels. Being able to change out the fluid periodically can prevent these problems but as I mentioned earlier, these do not have drain plugs and are not serviceable.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
streetbully

Reply #9   Feb 20, 2011 12:56 pm
Now you have me thinking about moving up to a X500 series......
tkrotchko

Reply #10   Feb 20, 2011 4:58 pm
streetbully wrote:

Thanks,

Paul

The x300 is a nice lawn tractor, but like the x500 is is made primarily for cutting grass, and it really very good at it. Even the x500 series is pretty light to be much more than a really nice lawnmower. The x700 series is probably the minimum I'd consider for use as a light-duty tractor, and even then, I don't think it'd hold up to using it for hours day after day.

JD makes some nice light-duty tractors for guys with a couple of acres, but you'll have to move out of their lawn tractor series, and you're probably looking at $15K for something like that. A friend has one, and he has use it to dig a foundation (he admitted, he beat the cr*p out of it while building his house, cleaned it up, traded it in for a new one).

I'm not saying this to put down JD either (I own one); nobody else in the $4-10K region makes anything better, it just may not do everything. But for cutting lawns, my x500 is supreme. [Try the power steering models; it will change your life ;) ]
tkrotchko

Reply #11   Feb 20, 2011 4:59 pm
streetbully wrote:

Thanks,

Paul

The x300 is a nice lawn tractor, but like the x500 is is made primarily for cutting grass, and it really very good at it. Even the x500 series is pretty light to be much more than a really nice lawnmower. The x700 series is probably the minimum I'd consider for use as a light-duty tractor, and even then, I don't think it'd hold up to using it for hours day after day.

JD makes some nice light-duty tractors for guys with a couple of acres, but you'll have to move out of their lawn tractor series, and you're probably looking at $15K for something like that. A friend has one, and he has use it to dig a foundation (he admitted, he beat the cr*p out of it while building his house, cleaned it up, traded it in for a new one).

I'm not saying this to put down JD either (I own one); nobody else in the $4-10K region makes anything better, it just may not do everything. But for cutting lawns, my x500 is supreme. [Try the power steering models; it will change your life ;) ]
tkrotchko

Reply #12   Feb 20, 2011 5:01 pm
streetbully wrote:

Thanks,

Paul

The x300 is a nice lawn tractor, but like the x500 is is made primarily for cutting grass, and it sreally very good at it. Even the x500 series is pretty light to be much more than a really nice lawnmower. The x700 series is probably the minimum I'd consider for use as a light-duty tractor, and even then, I don't think it'd hold up to using it for hours day after day.

borat

Reply #13   Feb 20, 2011 5:34 pm
If I'm shelling out big bucks for a small yard tractor, I want air in the summer and heat in the winter.  I want grass cutting and snow blowing as well as opportunity to put on a small back hoe and maybe a blade or bucket up front.   This is what I'd be buying.  

http://www.kubota.ca/en/productdetail.aspx?trail=0|30|35|57&prodid=110

I have a buddy who spent well over $25K for a JD all wheel drive with 4 wheel steering to cut grass and throw snow.  He paid a small fortune for an aftermarket cab and has no heat in the winter nor air in the summer.   For a few bucks more, you can have it all with a sweet little Kubota.
Replies: 4 - 13 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42