Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Blizzard Snowblowers by Murray

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
navihawk

Blizzard Snowblowers by Murray
Original Message   Jan 28, 2005 9:28 pm
These things are loaded. Not only remote chute deflector...remote chute rotation.

The picture shows a crank handle but the parts lists shows a motor on the bottom of the chute. Looks like I could retrofit some stuff onto mine.The handlbars are nice and high on these.They are sold at Menards.None around here.Craftsman has the clone with the Briggs OHV 11 horse.Looks pretty good in black.

Buy one of these and support American jobs.

This message was modified Jan 28, 2005 by navihawk
Replies: 5 - 14 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Jim_O

Re: Blizzard Snowblowers by Murray
Reply #5   Jan 30, 2005 8:34 pm
Hello Navihawk,

Great minds think alike. I have a 2003 Craftsman 536.887752  &.75 HP snowblower made by Murray.  I just added the remote chute deflector by reverse engineering their YardKing  27" 8.5 HP  Model 627858X43A  which is just like the Blizzard.  I decided to try to add the remote chute deflector because the Craftsman seemed to be already set up for it.  If fact, it was, except for a bracket under the plastic head light control pannel.  I had to fabricate a metal bracket to support the the chute defeector control handle.  I called Murray for help in trying to identify a part number for the bracket which I could not find on any parts list,  It seems it is part of the handle bars and is not sold as a seperate part.  The fellow at Murray technical support told me he had to terminate the telephone conversation when he learned i was attempting to "modify" my snowblower ( with original equipment Murray parts.)  It was a scene out of a Saturday Night Live show.  I realize his point about product liability but they should just sell a kit for this purpose. 

By the way I also made a few other modifications.  I added Murray drift cuts which are adjustable, a Brigs& Stratton oid drain valve and a B&S muffler guard.

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #6   Jan 30, 2005 8:55 pm
Jim,

Welcome to Abby's.  
boblloyd

"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.

Reply #7   Jan 30, 2005 10:36 pm
Though they are (were?) Chinese owned, Murray makes its snowblowers in Lawrenceburg, TN.   I'm less sure about the Briggs snow motors but I thought they made all their motors in the US except the Vanguard line.  robmints, how would you check that?  

Coincidentally  I understand Briggs and Stratton are negotiating to take over bankrupt Murray though they expect to close plants after 18 months.  Evidently the Chinese messed up Murray big time.   Too bad.   Hopefully Briggs will find a way to keep them going.  

Jim_O,   The muffler guard is a great idea.  I leaned over my machine once and melted a big hole in my new parka.     Where did you get yours?  -Bob

http://www.tennessean.com/business/archives/05/01/64507796.shtml

robmints

Reply #8   Jan 31, 2005 7:05 am
Sorry for the outdated, mis-imformation.
Jim_O

Reply #9   Jan 31, 2005 8:45 pm
Hello Boblloyd,

You are right.  I did previously  melt part of a nylon jacket trying to start a 25 year old Torro snowblower.  I had a heck of a time trying to find a muffler gard for my B&S 7.75 OHV Intek engine.  Last year Bosco posted a picture of his Simplicity 860 EI with a B&S OHV engine that came with a muffler guard.  But he B&S Accessories Catalog said a guard was not available for my engine .  After a lot of research, I went back to B&S with some part numbers and they thought  part number 699313 would fit .  I ordered it from Jacks Small Engine  for $21.60 and only had to add one screw part # 699209 for $1.20 to attach it .  There was one screw already on the muffler.  I figured I would give you the part numbers and their cost if you or anyone else was interested in adding it to your snowblower.

bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #10   Feb 1, 2005 3:37 pm
For what it's worth, Briggs & Stratton now own Murray for moneys owed to B&S for engines delivered and not paid for by Murray. With B&S also aquiring Simplicity (AGCO and Massey Ferguson lawn equip. also) they have positioned them selves to be a MAJOR player in the outdoor power equipment market. And Deere snowblowers were indeed made by Murray as the Frontier line, last info I checked. I don't know what might be in store for next year in that relationship.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #11   Feb 1, 2005 3:48 pm
bontaiJoe wrote:
With B&S also aquiring Simplicity (AGCO and Massey Ferguson lawn equip. also) they have positioned them selves to be a MAJOR player in the outdoor power equipment market.

I believe the rumors are true, B&S wil be branding their own equipment soon with their recent acquisitions.  We will soon be arguing if B&S snowblowers are as good as the current market leaders.

I am curious if B&S simply ships out existing models from Murray, or updates them with a whole new line of products to make a big splash as a technology leader in the market.  They'll probably keep Simplicity as is and let it die a slow death as Microsoft is still doing to FoxPro.

--SnowRemover

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
boblloyd

"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.

Reply #12   Feb 1, 2005 9:13 pm
Jim_O wrote:

After a lot of research, I went back to B&S with some part numbers and they thought  part number 699313 would fit .  I ordered it from Jacks Small Engine  for $21.60 and only had to add one screw part # 699209 for $1.20 to attach it . 

Jim_O,  Thanks very much for the info.  Mine's on order.    This should have been standard equipment.    -Bob
navihawk

Reply #13   Feb 3, 2005 8:49 am
Yeah that muffler looks like it gets pretty hot.Good coffee warmer though.

Maybe next season for the retrofit.I got motorcycle fever right now.

This message was modified Feb 3, 2005 by navihawk
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #14   Feb 5, 2005 8:36 pm
the snapper built by simplicity built by briggs is anything but dead.

they are just about the best anyone can get around here next to a honda.

and a large part of there success is in there engine .

if briggs puts some money in murry and puts back some of the parts that were recently robbed from them.then they could have a good quality economical snowblower.

not the best but pretty good.

best example is that crappy sheetmetal engine pto pulley.

it used to be made out of cast and lasted forever and was kind to belts

but the new one splits into pieces

and takes the belt with it     

later chris 

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 5 - 14 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42