Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Please help! Ariens 1124 Pro, should I buy?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
midfiman

Please help! Ariens 1124 Pro, should I buy?
Original Message   Feb 9, 2011 12:47 pm
Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum so I hope it's okay to ask the following questions.  So, with all of the snow we've had lately, I've been looking at getting a new snowblower.  I want something that will last and is a solid machine, not something that will work great for a couple of years and then give lots of problems.  Most of the reviews/research, etc I've done has said pretty much the same thing.  Buy an Ariens, Toro, Simplicity or Honda.  I would really prefer not spending $2000 on a machine as that's quite a bit of money.

That being said, there is someone who is selling a fairly lightly used Ariens model 1124 Pro for $850 which sounds like a great deal.  There is no rust on the machine and he said it was not used much at all.  My questions are as follows:

1.  Does this sound like a good deal?  It seems like a great price for a pro model which seem to sell for pretty pricey used.

2.  Would I better off with this pro model vs. buying a new Compact of Deluxe Ariens?  I would expect that the pro models are made to last.

3.  The Toro 828 looks like an incredible machine.  I've seen lots of videos of it in action throwing snow 30-50 ft.  It also goes for something like $1600-$1700 new.  I'm assuming this machine could keep up with something like that, yes?

4.  The guy sellng it isn't sure how old the machine is because he's selling it for his elderly father who doesn't need it.  I can't find anything on how old this machine is or what the model number designation is.  Any help here would be great.  Maybe if someone knew when this model Ariens was built. 

Any other insight you could offer would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

This message was modified Feb 9, 2011 by midfiman
Replies: 6 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
starwarrior

Re: Please help! Ariens 1124 Pro, should I buy?
Reply #6   Feb 11, 2011 2:59 pm
midfiman wrote:
Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum so I hope it's okay to ask the following questions.  So, with all of the snow we've had lately, I've been looking at getting a new snowblower.  I want something that will last and is a solid machine, not something that will work great for a couple of years and then give lots of problems.  Most of the reviews/research, etc I've done has said pretty much the same thing.  Buy an Ariens, Toro, Simplicity or Honda.  I would really prefer not spending $2000 on a machine as that's quite a bit of money.

That being said, there is someone who is selling a fairly lightly used Ariens model 1124 Pro for $850 which sounds like a great deal.  There is no rust on the machine and he said it was not used much at all.  My questions are as follows:

1.  Does this sound like a good deal?  It seems like a great price for a pro model which seem to sell for pretty pricey used.

2.  Would I better off with this pro model vs. buying a new Compact of Deluxe Ariens?  I would expect that the pro models are made to last.

3.  The Toro 828 looks like an incredible machine.  I've seen lots of videos of it in action throwing snow 30-50 ft.  It also goes for something like $1600-$1700 new.  I'm assuming this machine could keep up with something like that, yes?

4.  The guy sellng it isn't sure how old the machine is because he's selling it for his elderly father who doesn't need it.  I can't find anything on how old this machine is or what the model number designation is.  Any help here would be great.  Maybe if someone knew when this model Ariens was built. 

Any other insight you could offer would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

OK The short answer is NO

Your are contimplating the purchase of  an older machine that will need parts, repairs, or maintinance either now or in the near future which will add to your overall investment cost. Why when you can buy a brand new off-brand for the price you are paying for used machine and will significantly increase your reliability factor?

Whether  you are looking for a top of the line machine or a suitable offshore model I would suggest you find a comfortable price range hit the ground running with a brand newbee.

It's your call but for my money I would tend to choose the reliability of a  new machine over the unknown quantity of a used one and forget about the brand name facad.

Ariens Pros are great machine's, I own one but used is used and the wear and tear can be decieving.

A snowblower not going to break down in the middle of July it is going to break down while you are trying to clear your driveway after a storm and there is nothing worse than having to revert back to the shovel while your machine is in the shop because the parts that you never expected to break broke.

Starwarrior

This message was modified Feb 12, 2011 by starwarrior
Replies: 6 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42