Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Please help! Ariens 1124 Pro, should I buy?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
midfiman

Please help! Ariens 1124 Pro, should I buy?
Original Message   Feb 9, 2011 12:47 pm
Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum so I hope it's okay to ask the following questions.  So, with all of the snow we've had lately, I've been looking at getting a new snowblower.  I want something that will last and is a solid machine, not something that will work great for a couple of years and then give lots of problems.  Most of the reviews/research, etc I've done has said pretty much the same thing.  Buy an Ariens, Toro, Simplicity or Honda.  I would really prefer not spending $2000 on a machine as that's quite a bit of money.

That being said, there is someone who is selling a fairly lightly used Ariens model 1124 Pro for $850 which sounds like a great deal.  There is no rust on the machine and he said it was not used much at all.  My questions are as follows:

1.  Does this sound like a good deal?  It seems like a great price for a pro model which seem to sell for pretty pricey used.

2.  Would I better off with this pro model vs. buying a new Compact of Deluxe Ariens?  I would expect that the pro models are made to last.

3.  The Toro 828 looks like an incredible machine.  I've seen lots of videos of it in action throwing snow 30-50 ft.  It also goes for something like $1600-$1700 new.  I'm assuming this machine could keep up with something like that, yes?

4.  The guy sellng it isn't sure how old the machine is because he's selling it for his elderly father who doesn't need it.  I can't find anything on how old this machine is or what the model number designation is.  Any help here would be great.  Maybe if someone knew when this model Ariens was built. 

Any other insight you could offer would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

This message was modified Feb 9, 2011 by midfiman
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
trouts2

Re: Please help! Ariens 1124 Pro, should I buy?
Reply #1   Feb 9, 2011 6:48 pm

It’s either a 924122 or 924332 and you could check that on the sticker at the back base of the machine.  With that you can go to the Ariens site and get the manuals for it and check the specs.

The 924122 was a 120 volts and the 924332 12 volts.  You probably would have mentioned a battery so it’s probably a 924122 from about 2002 to 2004.

The price is ok for that machine if in very good shape.  The engine is a Tecumseh 11.5 hp OHV with big 16 x 4 tires. 

>>>Does this sound like a good deal?  It seems like a great price for a pro model which seem to sell for pretty pricey used.

You’re taking a chance for fifty percent or more off the current price for a similar model.  Actually no 1124’s are made anymore.  You can only compare to a Pro 1128.  Look at the muffler color, the paint on the inside of the chute and inside the bucket.  Check the wear on the skids and scraper bar.  For a lightly used machine on a non gravel drive the paint should be very good with minor long scratches.  You should not see large areas of missing paint on the chute inside or bucket inside.  The impeller barrel inside may have the paint gone.  Ask about any service records, frequency of oil changes and any other maintenance that was done.  If the muffler was rusted I’d probably pass on it.  If excessive wear on either skid I’d pass.  If the scraper worn much I’d pass.  For me those would put it in the 4-500 range.  If really lightly used then $1000 would be ok.  The two I had were lightly used.  They were sold to first time buyers that had no idea that the salesman’s recommendation was way off for them.  One guy had a small 4 car lot.

>>>Would I better off with this pro model vs. buying a new Compact of Deluxe Ariens?  I would expect that the pro models are made to last.

The 1124 is a very well built machine, would last as long as you want and would last about as long as a new one if it’s only been through average home use, got minimal maintenance of oil changes at least and used properly in the past.

>>>The Toro 828 looks like an incredible machine.  I've seen lots of videos of it in action throwing snow 30-50 ft.  It also goes for something like $1600-$1700 new.  I'm assuming this machine could keep up with something like that, yes?

Keep up?  It would swamp the Toro 828.  It’s got 16 inch rakes turning at 130rpm and a 12 inch impeller turning at 1300.  It’s got plenty of power to reduce sag under heavy loading.  When the Toro is on it’s knees gasping for breath the 1124 will still be tossing well.  Their very impressive. 

I’ve had two of the 924122’s and they are impressive and fine machines.  They handle very well for the big weight engine, have good balance, heated grips, top dash chute control, remote hood control, cast gearbox and full wheel differential and a 24 inch bucket.  All in all a great machine.

But it may not be for you.  You did not mention if you had a snowblower before.  If you have then you know what a 24 inch bucket is and the power you might expect from the 11.5.  If that’s a match for your area then it would be a good buy. 

If you’ve never had a machine before and finding the big horsepower attractive and not sure about how a 24 inch would be for you then you need to think about the suitability for that much power in a 24 inch.  You can check out my website listed below.  Your might have a better match with the Toro 828 given your area and amount of snow.  Depends on the person.  For me it’s no contest.  I’d pick the power no matter how small my area was.

Paul7

Reply #2   Feb 9, 2011 7:31 pm
I believe that the Ariens 1124DLE Pro was last built in 2004.  So the machine is at least 6 - 7 years old...which is nothing for a "properly maintained" professional Ariens snow thrower.  In 2004 the 1124DLE Pro stickered for $1,699.  May have sold for less depending on the dealer or if special were run.  Is $850 a great price? That's subjective. I wouldn't say "great" but I think that it's an okay price if the machine has been maintained and in really nice condition.

I do feel however that the Ariens 1124DLE Pro is a great snow thrower.  The "d" stands for differential.  The "L" stands for light kit.  The "E" stands for electric start.  The "Pro" means that it has a cast Iron gearbox.

It also should come with the very desirable 16" X 6.5" tires and a full one gallon gas tank.  The 11.5hp Tecumseh OHV engine coupled with a very maneuverable 24" bucket is a cool combination in my opinion.  The smaller bucket will be easier to work thru plowed snow and the 11.5 hp engine won't bog down at all.  The differential will make it a breeze to turn. 

It would be the machine I would want over a newer compact or deluxe model.

Here's a video of one going effortlessly thru plowed snow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz0PmfZrb-k
This message was modified Feb 9, 2011 by Paul7
midfiman

Reply #3   Feb 10, 2011 9:12 am
Thank you for your replies.  Looks like the guy sold it since.  There is someone else I've been in touch with who's selling an Ariens 1028 which is 9 years old with zero rust (says he silicones it every year though I'm not sure what that means) and its been in his garage since he's had it.  It's model 924116.  The only maintenance that he's done on it is changing plug/oil/gas as he said it doesn't need anything else and it always starts on first pull (he never uses electric start).  He said it looks like new and the muffler is still silver.

He's asking $800 for this, which seems a bit high.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

trouts2

Reply #4   Feb 10, 2011 11:02 am
    A great model that would good for a medium to large clearing area.  6 x 16 tires for great grip and tosses very well.   They go from 500 to 1000 around here depending on condition and time of year.  It has pin locking versus differential but easy enough to turn whem moving.   At $800 at least for me it would have to be in mint condition.
Paul7

Reply #5   Feb 10, 2011 12:16 pm
trouts2 wrote:
    A great model that would good for a medium to large clearing area.  6 x 16 tires for great grip and tosses very well.   They go from 500 to 1000 around here depending on condition and time of year.  It has pin locking versus differential but easy enough to turn whem moving.   At $800 at least for me it would have to be in mint condition.

For me this would be the reason NOT to buy this machine.  I think that either a differential OR a remote axle locking lever is a "must have" on a large heavy snow thrower.  The "ease" of turning a machine with a locked axle is subjective.  For some people it's easy, for others it's difficult. 
starwarrior

Reply #6   Feb 11, 2011 2:59 pm
midfiman wrote:
Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum so I hope it's okay to ask the following questions.  So, with all of the snow we've had lately, I've been looking at getting a new snowblower.  I want something that will last and is a solid machine, not something that will work great for a couple of years and then give lots of problems.  Most of the reviews/research, etc I've done has said pretty much the same thing.  Buy an Ariens, Toro, Simplicity or Honda.  I would really prefer not spending $2000 on a machine as that's quite a bit of money.

That being said, there is someone who is selling a fairly lightly used Ariens model 1124 Pro for $850 which sounds like a great deal.  There is no rust on the machine and he said it was not used much at all.  My questions are as follows:

1.  Does this sound like a good deal?  It seems like a great price for a pro model which seem to sell for pretty pricey used.

2.  Would I better off with this pro model vs. buying a new Compact of Deluxe Ariens?  I would expect that the pro models are made to last.

3.  The Toro 828 looks like an incredible machine.  I've seen lots of videos of it in action throwing snow 30-50 ft.  It also goes for something like $1600-$1700 new.  I'm assuming this machine could keep up with something like that, yes?

4.  The guy sellng it isn't sure how old the machine is because he's selling it for his elderly father who doesn't need it.  I can't find anything on how old this machine is or what the model number designation is.  Any help here would be great.  Maybe if someone knew when this model Ariens was built. 

Any other insight you could offer would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

OK The short answer is NO

Your are contimplating the purchase of  an older machine that will need parts, repairs, or maintinance either now or in the near future which will add to your overall investment cost. Why when you can buy a brand new off-brand for the price you are paying for used machine and will significantly increase your reliability factor?

Whether  you are looking for a top of the line machine or a suitable offshore model I would suggest you find a comfortable price range hit the ground running with a brand newbee.

It's your call but for my money I would tend to choose the reliability of a  new machine over the unknown quantity of a used one and forget about the brand name facad.

Ariens Pros are great machine's, I own one but used is used and the wear and tear can be decieving.

A snowblower not going to break down in the middle of July it is going to break down while you are trying to clear your driveway after a storm and there is nothing worse than having to revert back to the shovel while your machine is in the shop because the parts that you never expected to break broke.

Starwarrior

This message was modified Feb 12, 2011 by starwarrior
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42