Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro PM question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
kellyinkc

Toro PM question
Original Message   Feb 9, 2011 4:59 pm
So far the 221 has performed fantastic!! I am so glad I bought it now. The weather is to warm up and no snow for at least a week. Today I ran the Toro till it died, reprimed and tried to start it. Now is the carb empty now and if not how do I drain it? Does it have a little screw on it like my Honda mower does? I presume the shroud comes off first.
This message was modified Feb 9, 2011 by kellyinkc
Replies: 9 - 18 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
JohnWI

Re: Toro PM question
Reply #9   Feb 10, 2011 7:07 pm
Paul7 wrote:
Interesting that Toro doesn't supply an easy way to drain the carb because their "guaranteed to start" warranty is voided if you fail to drain the fuel system prior to any period of non-use over three months. 

Sounds like a perfect way of avoiding a warranty!  "what? you didn't drain the gas?...sorry dude, that GTS is null and void!"  And it saved them $3 by not having to install the shutoff and drain valve.

2011 Ariens Pro 28; Toro 210R, older Powerlite and a generic single stage w/ Tec. engine.

God Bless America!

CharlesW

Reply #10   Feb 10, 2011 10:03 pm
The owners manual for my 421QE shows a carburetor drain bolt to be used to drain the fuel in the carburetor prior to storage.
It is mentioned on page 18, Item #6.
The drain bolt is shown on page 15, Figure 36.
Doesn't sound as easy as a thumb screw, but it does appear it is provided for.
CharlesW

Reply #11   Feb 10, 2011 10:39 pm
I looked at an on-line owners manual for the 221 and I did not see any reference to a way to drain the carburetor.
It does tell you about running the machine out of gas before storage on page 18.
It would seem that following the procedures in the manual should have you covered for any warranty requirements.
samdog

Reply #12   Feb 11, 2011 6:10 pm
Carb bowl drains are going away -- victim of the enviromentalists. You can thank them for the ridiculous "vapor recovery" fuel cans too.

At the end of the season, I run OPE dry and drain the bowl, or on newer carbs, remove the bowl and wipe it dry. 

aa335

Reply #13   Feb 14, 2011 4:00 pm
samdog wrote:
Carb bowl drains are going away -- victim of the enviromentalists. You can thank them for the ridiculous "vapor recovery" fuel cans too.

At the end of the season, I run OPE dry and drain the bowl, or on newer carbs, remove the bowl and wipe it dry. 

Yes, those new plastic gas cans balloon up real nice in hot weather.  Once they stretch, they keep their shape too.  
Shryp

Reply #14   Feb 14, 2011 4:16 pm
aa335 wrote:
Yes, those new plastic gas cans balloon up real nice in hot weather.  Once they stretch, they keep their shape too.  

Just wait until you try to use one without first relieving the pressure in it...
aa335

Reply #15   Feb 14, 2011 7:24 pm
Shryp wrote:
Just wait until you try to use one without first relieving the pressure in it...

Yeah, I'm actually a little worried everytime I try to relieve the pressure.  There's a lot of vapors escaping at once with great pressure.  One spark and you got a nice roman candle.
This message was modified Feb 14, 2011 by aa335
Steve_Cebu

Reply #16   Feb 14, 2011 7:30 pm
aa335 wrote:

Funny thing is mine are all the reverse as they are sucked in rather than pushed out. Damn Kalifornia making laws for the rest of the US.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
aa335

Reply #17   Feb 14, 2011 7:34 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Funny thing is mine are all the reverse as they are sucked in rather than pushed out. Damn Kalifornia making laws for the rest of the US.

Yes, Kalifornia is a really "progressive" stage.  So progressive that they are pro-active in enforcing issues problems that other states don't have.  And the governor drives a gas guzzling Hummer.  Yeah!
Steve_Cebu

Reply #18   Feb 14, 2011 11:14 pm
aa335 wrote:
Yes, Kalifornia is a really "progressive" stage.  So progressive that they are pro-active in enforcing issues problems that other states don't have.  And the governor drives a gas guzzling Hummer.  Yeah!

That's just it, it's Kalifornia that has those problems, not the rest of us. They should keep their laws to themselves and leave the rest of us alone.

Ah well no snow for a while now, so I have a lot of gas already to go for the next storm, if we have one.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Replies: 9 - 18 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42