Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Recall: Toro 421Q & 421QE (38588/38589)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
allenm

Recall: Toro 421Q & 421QE (38588/38589)
Original Message   Jan 19, 2011 2:07 pm
Toro will have a recall this summer (2011) for Toro 421Q & 421QE (38588/38589).  The following problem affects models made in 2009, 2010, and 2011.  Toro has learned that Ethanol (used in all gas), is deteriorating aluminum parts within the carburetor.  These deteriorating parts break off inside the carburetor creating small fragments then clog areas inside the machine (ie. fuel line).  Gas will leak out of the snow blower into (ie. your garage).  The end result (gas leak) is similar to what happened on the Toro 180 power clear, but the problem is NOT the same.  Toro is aware of the problem and said they are working on a fix to be released this summer (2011) on the Toro 421Q & 421QE (38588/38589) snow blowers. 

If anyone is having a gas leak now, the current fix is only temporary.
This message was modified Jan 19, 2011 by allenm
Replies: 70 - 75 of 75Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Breather

Re: Recall: Toro 421Q & 421QE (38588/38589)
Reply #70   Feb 9, 2011 3:21 pm
Thanks for the replies guys. I like the two-cycle smell myself. I had a Lawn-Boy two-cycle mower for years as did the neighbor behind me. I spent close to twenty years of my life smelling the aroma every mowing season. Not to mention gas trimmers, edgers, etc. I can only imagine the complaining I would have had to endure had she been in my life then, lol.

I mix the gas quite often but, believe it or not, she does take charge and gets it done herself when we run out and I'm not home. I'll just tell her that if I decide I'm going with a two-cycle, I'll deal with it all the time. Out of curiousity, how much does the synthetic mitigate the smell and smoke on a two-cycle?

I talked to another dealer today who told me that the repair kit was not solving the issue on all of them(421) and for those still affected Toro was then sending replacement carbs, which haven't completely solved the issue either. He said that he talked to Toro tech service two days ago and they supposedly have yet another carb that supposedly solves the problem once and for all. He claimed that next season, there will be no two-cycle snowblowers and only 4-cycles will be available and all of those will have the newest carb and supposedly, trouble-free...

CharlesW

Reply #71   Feb 9, 2011 3:52 pm
Breather wrote:

I talked to another dealer today who told me that the repair kit was not solving the issue on all of them(421) and for those still affected Toro was then sending replacement carbs, which haven't completely solved the issue either. He said that he talked to Toro tech service two days ago and they supposedly have yet another carb that supposedly solves the problem once and for all. He claimed that next season, there will be no two-cycle snowblowers and only 4-cycles will be available and all of those will have the newest carb and supposedly, trouble-free...

It would be interesting to know just what the problem really is.
First it was plating flaking off the needle. (Blamed on ethanol)
Then it was the needle and seat
Next it was a need for a replacement carburetor
Now it is a need for yet a different carburetor

Do you get the idea that they really don't have a clue as to what the problem really is?

Extending the warranty for at least another year would go a long way in restoring my faith in Toro.
If the problem is truly corrected, what do they have to lose?
borat

Reply #72   Feb 9, 2011 4:00 pm
No more two stroke Toros?

Blasphemy I say.  Blasphemy!!!!!

End of an era.   Pathetic.
aa335

Reply #73   Feb 9, 2011 5:24 pm
CharlesW wrote:
It would be interesting to know just what the problem really is.
First it was plating flaking off the needle. (Blamed on ethanol)
Then it was the needle and seat
Next it was a need for a replacement carburetor
Now it is a need for yet a different carburetor

Do you get the idea that they really don't have a clue as to what the problem really is?

Extending the warranty for at least another year would go a long way in restoring my faith in Toro.
If the problem is truly corrected, what do they have to lose?

It's probably not as widespread of a problem and they may not have captured all the failures yet, so the fixes will be case by case basis from the service dealers.  Also, there's a lead time for replacement parts, with the proper solution to the root cause.

I'd wait for the dust to settle before bringing it in.  Trigger happy fixes causes confusion and money.  I'm sure they'll get the fix.

I doubt that Toro will extend the warranty.  I remember they used to have 5 year GTS warranty.  Now it's only 2 years.  If there's a problem with the carb, it will be covered under the recall.  No one is getting a free ride on other components because of carb issues. 
CharlesW

Reply #74   Feb 9, 2011 5:34 pm
aa335 wrote:
It's probably not as widespread of a problem and they may not have captured all the failures yet, so the fixes will be case by case basis from the service dealers.  Also, there's a lead time for replacement parts, with the proper solution to the root cause.

I'd wait for the dust to settle before bringing it in.  Trigger happy fixes causes confusion and money.  I'm sure they'll get the fix.

I doubt that Toro will extend the warranty.  I remember they used to have 5 year GTS warranty.  Now it's only 2 years.  If there's a problem with the carb, it will be covered under the recall.  No one is getting a free ride on other components because of carb issues. 

I'm not looking for a "free" ride. I paid $800 for that ride and I would just like to get my money's worth.
Some owners are in their second year of this problem and are still waiting for "the fix".
If Toro replaces the carburetor for those owners this summer, the warranty will expire not long after.
What if this "fix" is like the previous ones and the problem still exists?
What recourse do those owners have then?
CharlesW

Reply #75   Feb 9, 2011 5:41 pm
borat wrote:
No more two stroke Toros?

Blasphemy I say.  Blasphemy!!!!!

End of an era.   Pathetic.
Don't put all the blame on Toro.
From what I have read, the problem lies with emission standards and not necessarily with any decisions the manufacturers wanted to make.
It is happening or has happened to outboard motors and motorcycles already.
I also understand it is spreading to other OPE products such as trimmers and chainsaws.
Replies: 70 - 75 of 75Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42