Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Simplicity auger shaft ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
YellowstoneYeti

Simplicity auger shaft ?
Original Message   Feb 7, 2011 9:23 pm
I have a Simplicity I75246E snowblower. I was using it today and the auger drive belt came off. When I went to put the belt back on the pulley, I noticed that there was about 1/2" of play in the pulley. By this, I mean that I can move the whole assembly (pulley, impeller, and shaft to auger gear box) back to front horizontally a good 1/2". The worm shaft actually slides in/out of the auger gear box. All of the bolts seem to be tight. The belt/pulley has worn a small groove in the plastic belt cover, so I'm assuming that something is worn or broken. Any suggestions on what parts or adjustments I should be looking at? Sorry if my terminology and descriptions are confusing. I'm mechanically inclined, but have very limited experience with snowblowers. Thanks
Replies: 7 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
YellowstoneYeti

Re: Simplicity auger shaft ?
Reply #7   Feb 9, 2011 12:52 pm
Parts are ordered. Thank you so much for your assistance. I really appreciate it!
edgenet

If you enjoy doing it, It's not work

Reply #8   Feb 13, 2011 5:41 pm
Every snowblower I service if the diff has gear oil I added gear oil IF IT HAS GREASE I ADD GEAR OIL to soften the grease. I see this all the time The grease has cupped or hardened and you have stripped gears. Very stupid idea putting grease vs gear oil in the diff. Just another way our manufactures got lazy and cheap. Oh you better use the proper grease or you will be doing the diff again in a few years. Next time it will take you half the time to do the diff.

If you are getting paid for what you are doing No matter how much you Enjoy it,   It's a Job
jrtrebor

Reply #9   Feb 13, 2011 10:15 pm
I've always just used 90W gear lube and never had a problem. It box might ooze a little around the seals in the summer when it's hot out. But never had a problem when is get cold.
I've never really understood how any type of grease is supposed to work in a gear box that is exposed to freezing cold temperatures and sometimes surrounded by snow and ice.
It just doesn't seem like it could be anywhere near fluid enough in those conditions to keep the gears and shafts properly lubricated.
Replies: 7 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42