Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Is it Ok to use a 2 stage to clear ice storm break up pieces?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Mark78

Is it Ok to use a 2 stage to clear ice storm break up pieces?
Original Message   Feb 5, 2011 8:13 pm
We had a lot of sleet and freezing rain early in the week which turned in to 2-3" of solid ice. I finally broke up the layer of ice in the drive way over the last 2 days. Some pieces where it up to 2 feet long or so and all of it was as very hard not slushy.

I chose to push all of it away manually with a shovel. Just wondered if anybody would have felt comfortable doing the cleanup with a typical 2 stage (I have an Ariens compact 22)?

I was worried the large amount of very solid ice would have been really hard on everything and may have broke the shear pins.
Replies: 4 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
larrylaverne

Re: Is it Ok to use a 2 stage to clear ice storm break up pieces?
Reply #4   Feb 6, 2011 8:09 am
i  'scrape and chop'  to separate the ice from the pavement , and make sure the pieces are no larger than my shoe/boot and then like shryp said coal shovel them in a pile and blast the pile away, and so far i've never had a issue with shear pins breaking on my 30" bucket.
stresst

Re: Is it Ok to use a 2 stage to clear ice storm break up pieces?
Reply #5   Feb 6, 2011 2:31 pm
I've done it a few times already with my Toro 826OXE not sure if its good or bad but it cleared huge piles with no issues...........I guess it all comes down to how big and frozen the chunks really are.

TORO 826OXE
Replies: 4 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42