Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Sparkplug Change for 2 Staged Honda Snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
MN_Runner

Sparkplug Change for 2 Staged Honda Snowblower
Original Message   Feb 5, 2011 2:23 pm
Just changed the sparkplug on my HS928 today and it was not as easy as my Honda lawnmower.  The angle is somewhat skewed so regular craftsman sparkplug socket is not the best.  I had to use the Honda socket (thinner) that came with the blower to loosen and tighten the sparkplug.  When you are installing the new sparkplug - try to tread it with your hand first before using the socket so you do not strip it.  Just be careful so $2 job does not turn into a $400 mess. Did you guys have similar experiences on your Honda blowers?
This message was modified Feb 5, 2011 by MN_Runner
Replies: 16 - 25 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
blumonster

Re: Sparkplug Change for 2 Staged Honda Snowblower
Reply #16   Nov 9, 2011 6:07 pm
Whoha wrote:
How old is your snowblower?  A sparkplug should last 6-8 years in a modern lean burning fourstroke snowblower. That is like changing your cars sparkplugs if you drove down to Florida.

I do not know why MN_Runner wants to change his snow blower's plug but in my case:

HS35 is probably between 20-30 years old.One of the first 6000 of HS35s made according to VIN.I bought it used very recently.I have no way of knowing if the previous owner replaced it or not.

HS621 is also one of the first made HS621s if we are to believe VIN.This one looks better taken care of than the other.It is 2 dollars a plug (NGK), why not? If it is going to make more efficient...

This message was modified Nov 9, 2011 by blumonster
MN_Runner

Reply #17   Nov 9, 2011 10:21 pm
I changed it for fun and just checking my mechanical skills.  I change it every year since the cost is only $2 at Fleet Farm.
blumonster

Reply #18   Nov 13, 2011 9:41 am

Well,yesterday  I received the spark plug wrench and handle I ordered. They both were made in Japan. I am happy.

This message was modified Nov 13, 2011 by blumonster
FrankMA

Reply #19   Nov 13, 2011 10:00 am
blumonster wrote:
I do not know why MN_Runner wants to change his snow blower's plug but in my case:

HS35 is probably between 20-30 years old.One of the first 6000 of HS35s made according to VIN.I bought it used very recently.I have no way of knowing if the previous owner replaced it or not.

HS621 is also one of the first made HS621s if we are to believe VIN.This one looks better taken care of than the other.It is 2 dollars a plug (NGK), why not? If it is going to make more efficient...

How did you determine the age by the VIN? Is there a sequential code or are you just using the numeric sequence of the numbers after the SZAN designation as means of determining the estimated age?

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
blumonster

Reply #20   Nov 13, 2011 10:32 am
FrankMA wrote:
How did you determine the age by the VIN? Is there a sequential code or are you just using the numeric sequence of the numbers after the SZAN designation as means of determining the estimated age?

I thought the bigger the number the newer the machine is.Since it is all numbers after the first letters which are the same in all, smaller numbers should mean older machines.Am I wrong?
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #21   Nov 13, 2011 10:39 am
I own the same Honda GX 270 engine on the same snowblower.  I use the dedicated socket from Honda to turn the plug after I break it loose with the 1/2" drive socket wrench and its spark plug socket.  I agree that beginning the threading process is best done by hand, then use the Honda wrench which is too flimsy to break loose the plug or tighten it without risk of cracking the ceramic of the spark plug.  You need to become proficient at this task because the oil you must put into that spark plug hole before storing the machine for the off season requires the same spark plug removal. To put the oil in the cylinder, go to a Pharmacy and ask them for a syringe used to measure liquid medicines, they cost very little, and they allow the oil to be inserted into that small spark plug hole WITHOUT making an unholy mess out of you and the engine.
This message was modified Nov 13, 2011 by New_Yorker
FrankMA

Reply #22   Nov 13, 2011 10:43 am
blumonster wrote:
I thought the bigger the number the newer the machine is.Since it is all numbers after the first letters which are the same in all, smaller numbers should mean older machines.Am I wrong?

I'm not sure how the Honda VIN code works but I would also assume that the higher the number, the newer the machine. I thought you may have deciphered Honda's code and were able to determine the exact day, month and year of manufacture from the alpha-numeric code assigned to each machine.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
blumonster

Reply #23   Nov 13, 2011 10:52 am
I wish.But I do not think the VIN is coded.Just from smaller number to bigger number/from older to newer.

For example on HS35 they made design chnages on the auger guard/scraper area.

Up to frame serial number 1048328 the first design was used, and from this number up the new design was used.

I changed the spark plug on Honda HS35.At first it did not stay running.After a while I realized I did not tighten it well.I did not want it to get stuck there if I overtightened.After tightening more it is good now.One thing I noticed, the tiny tip of the spark plug where it meets the spark plug wire needed to be screwed out because it does not fit the way it came in the box.

I wanted to change the spark plug on Honda HS621 but the wrench I got for HS35 was too short although it is the same size so I could not put the handle.Now do I have to buy that expensive wrench for this one too?It is 13-14 dollars.

This message was modified Nov 13, 2011 by blumonster
aa335

Reply #24   Nov 14, 2011 12:26 am
blumonster wrote:
I wanted to change the spark plug on Honda HS621 but the wrench I got for HS35 was too short although it is the same size so I could not put the handle.Now do I have to buy that expensive wrench for this one too?It is 13-14 dollars.

Just a thought, wouldn't a 5/8" thin walled deep socket with an 6" extension work for both of your machines?
This message was modified Nov 14, 2011 by aa335
blumonster

Reply #25   Nov 14, 2011 2:05 pm
aa335 wrote:
Just a thought, wouldn't a 5/8" thin walled deep socket with an 6" extension work for both of your machines?

I even got a 5/8" 12 pt. spark plug socket. It is too small.
Replies: 16 - 25 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42