Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > ariens st724 one side of auger works one doesnt?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
chevyaddict83

ariens st724 one side of auger works one doesnt?
Original Message   Feb 3, 2011 7:53 pm
I have an 80's ariens St 724. One side of the auger works one doesn't. With the machine off, the side That does work is locked up, like I think it should be, the other spins freely. Any clues? I have more snow coning Saturday. Thanks guys.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
borat

Re: ariens st724 one side of auger works one doesnt?
Reply #1   Feb 3, 2011 7:57 pm
Clear the snow off of the auger shaft and carefully look for a round hole within 6" of the gear case.  That hole is where the shear pin goes.  Now, rotate the auger slowly and try to find either the hole in the drive shaft or a circular piece of steel that lines up with the hole.  That will be the broken shear pin.  Use a hammer and a suitably sized nail and drift out the broken shear pin.  Replace with a new shear pin if you have one.  If you don't, a 1/4" bolt will probably work until you can get a shear pin for it. 

Look very carefully for the hole/broken pin.  It can be tough to find but it's there.  Grease your auger shaft while you're in there. 
This message was modified Feb 3, 2011 by borat
chevyaddict83

Reply #2   Feb 3, 2011 8:12 pm
Thank you very much. The shear pin would explain the one side working/one not? Just want to make sure. I'm gonna grab a couple pins. Thank you.
Shryp

Reply #3   Feb 3, 2011 10:22 pm
510015 is probably your part number, but without the model number from between the handles on the bottom it is hard to tell.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42