Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Best Snow thrower or Electric shovel for doing a Roof

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Steve_Cebu

Best Snow thrower or Electric shovel for doing a Roof
Original Message   Jan 28, 2011 3:50 pm
I'm looking for something that would be good for doing our roof. obviously the big 2 stage Toro won't be able to do it and would be a PITA to get up a ladder or out a window.

We have a new roof so I don't want to hurt the roof but the snow is really built up out there and it tends to melt very slowly. We are heading into Feb and lots more snow so I need something light enough and easy to manuever to use up there. The roof is pretty steep and in one section windows are mounted in the roof so that area might not be possible. They want a fortune to clear it and only the lesser section so I need something. Electric would probably be ok but it has to have enough power and the roof is pretty steep and high.

Any ideas?

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Replies: 36 - 45 of 71Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
borat

Re: Best Snow thrower or Electric shovel for doing a Roof
Reply #36   Feb 3, 2011 11:52 am
"if she does fall there is enough snow on the ground to catch her? :)"

At 83 lbs., she'll fall like a leaf. 

Steve:

Can you get up into the attic to take a look at your truss's and rafters to see if they're deflecting excessively?   A slight bit of deflections is normal.  Particularly under such a load.   However, serious deflection will indicate the need to get the snow off.  If you see very obvious bowing of the the roof supports, you'd probably do something about it a.s.a.p.  If there's little bowing, chances are the roof is good for what it's bearing and probably considerably more.  

If you're into mathematics and can estimate your roof configuration, the following might be of some assistance to you:

http://www.jabacus.com/engineering/load/snowload.php

By the way, if you must go up on the roof, as mentioned by another participant, tying a long piece of 1/2 climbing rope or similar to a tree on the opposite side of the house will allow you to work one slope.  You could tie off on both sides simultaneously using the same method.   Once you're up there, the snow will likely keep you in place until it's been cleared.  I'd start at the bottom and work toward the peak so that you don't have to move the snow twice.
This message was modified Feb 3, 2011 by borat
Steve_Cebu

Reply #37   Feb 3, 2011 12:18 pm
borat wrote:
"if she does fall there is enough snow on the ground to catch her? :)"

At 83 lbs., she'll fall like a leaf. 

Steve:

Can you get up into the attic to take a look at your truss's and rafters to see if they're deflecting excessively?   A slight bit of deflections is normal.  Particularly under such a load.   However, serious deflection will indicate the need to get the snow off.  If you see very obvious bowing of the the roof supports, you'd probably do something about it a.s.a.p.  If there's little bowing, chances are the roof is good for what it's bearing and probably considerably more.  

If you're into mathematics and can estimate your roof configuration, the following might be of some assistance to you:

http://www.jabacus.com/engineering/load/snowload.php

By the way, if you must go up on the roof, as mentioned by another participant, tying a long piece of 1/2 climbing rope or similar to a tree on the opposite side of the house will allow you to work one slope.  You could tie off on both sides simultaneously using the same method.   Once you're up there, the snow will likely keep you in place until it's been cleared.  I'd start at the bottom and work toward the peak so that you don't have to move the snow twice.

We don't have an attic  and as Shryp mentioned a piece of pipe is unlikely to hold my 200 lbs on the roof should I go over the edge. The trees are too far for a rope to be of any use and I'd have to get a rope up mighty high for it to be useful. trees to the front and back where I am most likely going to fall off are about 60 feet away at the closest. The sides are a bit closer but the roof is pretty huge. It doesn't show in the pics but I've been up there in the summer and it's vast and empty up there. I've asked my neighbor who runs a farm about it and he thinks a pro is the only way to go. Too risky he says and he's been up on this roof a few times. He feels the chimney would be too close to the edge to be useful. He said if I fell from up there it would be bad, very bad. I might have to pony up the $500 they want to clear the entire roof. I used to clean the metal roof for my fathers company before he retired back when I was 14 and I slid off it with no hope of stopping it had less pitch than this roof but this one is higher with a layer of ice so just as slippery. This roof is vast and empty with nothing to tie onto just like that one. Fortunately I landed in a deep snowbank which literally buried me big chunk of ice in that snowbank really hurt when I smacked into it. Ah to be young and stupid again.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #38   Feb 3, 2011 1:16 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
We don't have an attic  and as Shryp mentioned a piece of pipe is unlikely to hold my 200 lbs on the roof should I go over the edge. The trees are too far for a rope to be of any use and I'd have to get a rope up mighty high for it to be useful. trees to the front and back where I am most likely going to fall off are about 60 feet away at the closest. The sides are a bit closer but the roof is pretty huge. It doesn't show in the pics but I've been up there in the summer and it's vast and empty up there. I've asked my neighbor who runs a farm about it and he thinks a pro is the only way to go. Too risky he says and he's been up on this roof a few times. He feels the chimney would be too close to the edge to be useful. He said if I fell from up there it would be bad, very bad. I might have to pony up the $500 they want to clear the entire roof. I used to clean the metal roof for my fathers company before he retired back when I was 14 and I slid off it with no hope of stopping it had less pitch than this roof but this one is higher with a layer of ice so just as slippery. This roof is vast and empty with nothing to tie onto just like that one. Fortunately I landed in a deep snowbank which literally buried me big chunk of ice in that snowbank really hurt when I smacked into it. Ah to be young and stupid again.

Steve, If you can use your car on one side of the house and tie the end of the rope there or maybe put a large knot and roll over it to hold it.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #39   Feb 3, 2011 1:23 pm
hirschallan wrote:
Steve, If you can use your car on one side of the house and tie the end of the rope there or maybe put a large knot and roll over it to hold it.

That might work, the only thing is I can only do that on one side and it's looking less likely because the layer of ice up there makes it tough to get any footing. I think I'm just going to pay a guy to do the job. If I get injured it'll cost me a lot more than $500.

Shryp

Reply #40   Feb 3, 2011 1:25 pm
Just found this video:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2e1_1296706889

and

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2fdad73e43
This message was modified Feb 3, 2011 by Shryp
Steve_Cebu

Reply #41   Feb 3, 2011 1:28 pm
Shryp wrote:
Just found this video:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2e1_1296706889

and

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2fdad73e43

Yeah I saw that on NECN they've been running it for a couple of days now. Good thing those people are ok. Lots of other roofs going down but so far none in my area. I have a call into the guy who did the roof and since he's a neighbor hopefully he can evaluate how much more the roof can take before it gets too risky.

longboat

Reply #42   Feb 3, 2011 2:36 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
That might work, the only thing is I can only do that on one side and it's looking less likely because the layer of ice up there makes it tough to get any footing. I think I'm just going to pay a guy to do the job. If I get injured it'll cost me a lot more than $500.

Only other thing I can think of is trailer house anchors or the corkscrew dog leash anchors - they'll hold you for sure.  They might be a little tough to drive into frozen ground - might have to put some warm saltwater on the ground before you dig in (I've dug a few postholes in frozen ground that way - chip out a little depression in the ground, put some warm saltwater in there and cover it and let it sit overnight) .  However, in the end, if you're not comfortable with what you are doing, then best to pay the pros.
longboat

Reply #43   Feb 4, 2011 9:08 am
 LOL - just remembered the scene from Grumpy Old Men where they shoot water from a garden hose onto the snowy roof over an entryway, so that it forms a sheet of ice under the snow thus causing an avalanche for the unwitting homeowner who steps out the door (with slamming of said door causing the avalanche).

If you could shoot some water up along the peak of the roof, maybe you could create a similar avalanche situation...

p.s. - saw the Avalanche AVA300 roof snow removal system (sounds like it is easier/better than a roof rake), maybe you could stand on a tall stepladder strapped in the back of your pickup and reach some of the roof with that system...

Paul7

Reply #44   Feb 4, 2011 9:22 am
Steve...The Today Show just did a segment on roof collapses in NY and NE.  Holy Molly!  They said that roof rakes are selling like Cabbage Patch Kids in their prime, and companies that remove snow from roofs are booked 24/7.  Main advice to property owners was to listen for any unusual sounds.  I was able to force heat to my attic to melt the snow but without an attic that's not an option for you.  I think that this is the time to call the pros...good luck.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #45   Feb 4, 2011 9:33 am
longboat wrote:
 LOL - just remembered the scene from Grumpy Old Men where they shoot water from a garden hose onto the snowy roof over an entryway, so that it forms a sheet of ice under the snow thus causing an avalanche for the unwitting homeowner who steps out the door (with slamming of said door causing the avalanche).

If you could shoot some water up along the peak of the roof, maybe you could create a similar avalanche situation...

p.s. - saw the Avalanche AVA300 roof snow removal system (sounds like it is easier/better than a roof rake), maybe you could stand on a tall stepladder strapped in the back of your pickup and reach some of the roof with that system...

I don't have a pickup truck.  Still I think that shooting water onto a roof that has 3 feet of snow would take some time and with temps at nigt going to -7F it's going to freeze pretty quickly. Last year during the snow melt, very warm very quickly, it overloaded the septic tank because all the runoff from the driveway goes into it.

I'll try and snap some pics to show how bad it is up there. If it was just a foot that would be ok.

For the lower roof and garage I can easily walk on those, the upper roof not a chance, you need a tall ladder and you'd have crap stability on the snow in the driveway.

Replies: 36 - 45 of 71Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42