Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 824 snapping shear pins on the wheels

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Emilio

Ariens 824 snapping shear pins on the wheels
Original Message   Jan 27, 2011 3:40 pm
Hello all,

New member here. I seem  to be snapping alot of drive shaft shear pins. These are the pins that are holding the wheels to the shaft. I'm getting the pins from Home Depot because the snowblowers place doesn't have the size I need. I think it's  3/16". Can any suggest why I keep snap these pins.

Thanks

Replies: 10 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Emilio

Re: Ariens 824 snapping shear pins on the wheels
Reply #10   Feb 1, 2011 3:04 pm
Hi borat,

Would using a stronger bolt cause any internal damage to gear box or anything else. I'm not to knowledgable about the inner working of the snowwblower.

borat

Reply #11   Feb 1, 2011 3:46 pm
Emilio wrote:
Hi borat,

Would using a stronger bolt cause any internal damage to gear box or anything else. I'm not to knowledgable about the inner working of the snowwblower.

I can't see how it could. 

The wheels are the only source of resistance.  If they slip, they slip.  So what?  If the machine is put up against a wall and allowed to destroy itself, there may be a possibility that a chain could break but I doubt that would happen.   Maybe others might know something that I'm unaware of but I solved my problem with a grade 10 bolt and never experienced any issues as a result.   If you want to continue replacing bolts, go with the grade 5.  If you don't want to be doing that, use a grade 10. 
This message was modified Feb 1, 2011 by borat
Shryp

Reply #12   Feb 1, 2011 4:22 pm
My thinking is the pins he was using were grade 2, so grade 5 might be good enough.
Replies: 10 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42