Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Help! My snowblowers frozen stiff... and now working thanks to Borat

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Harold

Help! My snowblowers frozen stiff... and now working thanks to Borat
Original Message   Feb 1, 2011 11:25 am
My outdoor, stored under a tarp 1970s 724 stalls as soon as I engage the auger.  I can hear the belt squealing as I try engaging it.  Somethings frozen, it's 9 degrees now, windy and snowing and 18" is forecast.  The auger rotates a tad on it's shaft when I push on it with a stick. Tried gently engaging the belt - didn't help.

Neither electricity, help, a garage or shelter is available.  Can't drag it to the house, and even if I could there's too many steps and black ice under the snow to contend with.

Where, just what part, should I thaw it with a torch and is that safe?

Added:  It worked great (with a heavy demand) few days ago.
This message was modified Feb 1, 2011 by Harold
Replies: 7 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Harold

Re: Help! My snowblowers frozen stiff... and now working thanks to Borat
Reply #7   Feb 1, 2011 1:23 pm
Yea, I tried hard not to load the belt thinking that it'd self destruct.  If it does, I'm ready with another on hand.

And the hot water.... that would have been a pleasure to pour on this frigid day.

Thanks again.
samdog

Reply #8   Feb 1, 2011 1:55 pm
Glad you got it working again. Clearing out the impeller housing is critical, if you're storing outside or unheated.

When sunshine follows the storm, I just put the Toro's bucket in the sun and let radiant heat do it. If it's overcast, I aim a kerosene heater at it, outside, from a safe distance. 

Not too keen on the water idea -- frozen water is what started the whole mess to begin with.  

jrtrebor

Reply #9   Feb 1, 2011 4:30 pm
Another way to unfreeze things is to boil about a quart or so of water (it doesn't have to be boiling).  Then mix in about 6 to 8 oz. of any kind of deicing salt.  Slowly pour it where it's needed.  One of those plant watering cans with the long spout makes in easy (don't get caught using it)  .  Any left over salt residue will get washed/flushed out next time you use the blower. 
The hot water salt mixture will free things up in a big hurry and won't allow refreezing .  I works really well.
Replies: 7 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42