Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Advice on changing oil without making a mess

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tkrotchko

Advice on changing oil without making a mess
Original Message   Jan 31, 2011 6:32 pm
It is almost February 1 and my thoughts are already turning to getting my JD x540 ready to start picking up "junk" left on the lawn from the storms. By the time we hit March 15th, the threat of snow is pretty well over. I've got to replace the blades, new gas filter, clean out the pre-air cleaner and power wash the underside of the deck.

In particular, I'll be changing the oil & filter which is not tricky as such, its just that the oil drain plug is in such a place that you can' change oil without it dripping on the engine, the frame, some mounting brackets, and of course the mower deck. There's got to be a better way. I thought I had it figured last year with a large funnel, but no go. You cannot fit a funnel back into the area where the oil drain plug is.

The engine is a Kawasaki V-Twin 25HP (which is not an easy starting engine, but it is commercial grade, and will apparently run forever), and there's nothing particularly interesting about it. I just hate cleaning up 4-6 ounces of oil left all over the engine.

I think the JD engineers were out to lunch on this one.

Ideas?
This message was modified Jan 31, 2011 by tkrotchko
Replies: 5 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
kipsy

Re: Advice on changing oil without making a mess
Reply #5   Feb 1, 2011 8:16 am
cut the bottom off a windshield washer jug or gallon of mil and keep the cap ON. 

2004 jd lt180 m42 deck 2000 ariens 824 1987 honda 5s21 1995 honda push mower 2005 honda 25cc trimmer
trouts2

Reply #6   Feb 1, 2011 10:31 am
An assortment of cut bottles and containers for various engines types but there's always drips so rags for that.

$10 at Harbor Freight.  Takes a number of loads to remove the oil and will drip when taking out the tube so a catch and rag required.

Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #7   Feb 1, 2011 10:53 am
samdog wrote:
I use a vacuum pump oil extracter. Does an OPE engine in about 5 minutes. Then, if you still want to pull the drain plug, you might get another ounce or two -- easy to catch with newspaper.

Im skepticalabout using a vacuum extractor - probably wouldn't get the solid cruds lurking at the bottom of the case.  I  liike to see a full rapid flow of oil coming out that creates a flushing action.  On my equipment I just take a piece of corrugated cardboard folded into a vee shape and long enough to reach from the drain hole to a catch container and let er fly.

trouts2

Reply #8   Feb 1, 2011 1:05 pm
WOOF,

The vacuum force will be much greater than gravity.  The particles in the oil will be minute, suspended after running and heating so lifted out. 

samdog

Reply #9   Feb 1, 2011 1:08 pm
Dr_Woof wrote:
Im skepticalabout using a vacuum extractor - probably wouldn't get the solid cruds lurking at the bottom of the case.

I run the oil to operating temp to suspend any solids before I vacuum it, then I pull the drain and let the remainder drip a while. I use Mobil 1 synthetic in all my OPE and change each season, so I'm confident sludge is not an issue. 

tkrotchko: "Any advice as to the "best" one?"

I have the CTA 7450. It appears the Pela, CTA and others in the 6.5 liter round unit are all from the same factory anyway. Should be able to pick one up for $60 or so. I get great use out of it.

The Drainzit hoses look like a pretty good solution as well.

This message was modified Feb 1, 2011 by samdog
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #10   Feb 1, 2011 1:11 pm
But...the vacuum tube will always leave a little behind when it starts sucking air.  Oil and particulates laying on the bottom of the crankcase.  Gravity flow gets it all, especially if you tilt the blower towards the drain.

tkrotchko

Reply #11   Feb 1, 2011 6:29 pm
mml4 wrote:
There seem to be a lot of interest in oil changing solutions lately! Below is a picture of a product callet Drainzit which I have installed on all of my engines. I used it for the first time when I found it was standard equiptment on a Simplicity . I then put it on all my OPE. It comes in many thread sizes including those that fit Honda. Google Drainzit and you will find a chart. Most of the blowers we use will need the Stan1025 for 1/4" for Briggs and Tecumseh or the Hon1010 for the Hondas that take 10mm.

Marc

I like this solution, but I need to figure out which size for a Kawasaki engine. Maybe I can send them an email.
trouts2

Reply #12   Feb 1, 2011 6:47 pm
Dr_Woof wrote:
But...the vacuum tube will always leave a little behind when it starts sucking air.  Oil and particulates laying on the bottom of the crankcase.  Gravity flow gets it all, especially if you tilt the blower towards the drain.

And less pull as the larger particles drop and the pull flow gets less.  Nothing wrong with draining.  You can also tilt to siphon tube.  I don't think the amount missed is a concern if done very quickly after running the motor.   I often give out free siphons with Honda clone upgrades to encourage changing oil which many don't do. 
Replies: 5 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42