Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Advice on changing oil without making a mess

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tkrotchko

Advice on changing oil without making a mess
Original Message   Jan 31, 2011 6:32 pm
It is almost February 1 and my thoughts are already turning to getting my JD x540 ready to start picking up "junk" left on the lawn from the storms. By the time we hit March 15th, the threat of snow is pretty well over. I've got to replace the blades, new gas filter, clean out the pre-air cleaner and power wash the underside of the deck.

In particular, I'll be changing the oil & filter which is not tricky as such, its just that the oil drain plug is in such a place that you can' change oil without it dripping on the engine, the frame, some mounting brackets, and of course the mower deck. There's got to be a better way. I thought I had it figured last year with a large funnel, but no go. You cannot fit a funnel back into the area where the oil drain plug is.

The engine is a Kawasaki V-Twin 25HP (which is not an easy starting engine, but it is commercial grade, and will apparently run forever), and there's nothing particularly interesting about it. I just hate cleaning up 4-6 ounces of oil left all over the engine.

I think the JD engineers were out to lunch on this one.

Ideas?
This message was modified Jan 31, 2011 by tkrotchko
Replies: 1 - 12 of 12View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 12 of 12View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42