Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Clarence impeller kit

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
PACKO

Clarence impeller kit
Original Message   Jan 31, 2011 5:25 pm
I have read some postings on other sites that say this kit will destroy an engine or the shaft bearing..  Does anyone know  that this is true?  Thinking of buying one for my 1986 Toro 824 Powershift..  I have a good 3/8" gap between the blades and housing.  Has anyone tried a smaller impeller pulley to speed it up ?  No sign of the BIG snow storm in NE Ohio ...yet!
Packo
This message was modified Mar 30, 2011 by a moderator
Replies: 7 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
JimmyM

Re: Clarance impeller kit
Reply #7   Feb 15, 2011 11:15 am
I'm getting a couple of kits for my CubCadet SWE930 and my Dad's 9hp Craftsman. Mine has a bit of a gap, not huge, but it doesn't throw slush very well unless I'm really moving into it. I had a a lot of trouble a couple of storms ago where snow was followed by rain. My 930 was basically a water pump. His Craftsman doesn't throw anything well unless you're charging into the snow pretty well. I think his will benefit more than mine, but I'll be getting 2 kit's this spring/summer when I do maintenance on the 2 machines.
Moderator Denis

Reply #8   Mar 30, 2011 6:15 pm
Jimmy can you tell us wich city you are in, I notice that you login multiple IP address from maine to New-york to Massachusset. Thanks

borat

Reply #9   Mar 30, 2011 8:39 pm
With a 3/8" gap, I'd probably put a 5/16" stainless steel liner on the inside of the impeller housing rather than modify the impeller blades.   Might cost a bit more but it would be easy enough to install and will likely last the life of the machine.
carlb

Reply #10   Apr 1, 2011 8:41 am
borat wrote:
With a 3/8" gap, I'd probably put a 5/16" stainless steel liner on the inside of the impeller housing rather than modify the impeller blades.   Might cost a bit more but it would be easy enough to install and will likely last the life of the machine.

I think it will be pretty difficult to bend 5/16" SS liner for this project. I would do the impellers.
borat

Reply #11   Apr 1, 2011 9:14 am
carlb wrote:
I think it will be pretty difficult to bend 5/16" SS liner for this project. I would do the impellers.

What you would do, is buy a suitable piece of SS pipe that will fit the impeller housing.  Most impellers are standard size and there is a wide variety SS pipe sizes.   Find the appropriate size pipe and cut out a piece for the ejector/exit opening.   Fit the liner inside the impeller housing to ensure proper fit with impeller.  When all is good, drill six holes through both.  Pull the liner out and countersink the holes on the inside of the liner.  Use SS bevel head screws to secure it.  

Prior to inserting the SS liner, I'd make sure the impeller housing in freshly painted and I'd put a dab of silicone around and in each drill hole to help prevent rusting on the housing.  I'd then use some Loktite on the screws holding the liner in place.   Not sure if SS can be welded to regular steel.  If it can be, one could drill holes in the impeller housing only and spot weld the SS liner in place.  
carlb

Re: Clarence impeller kit
Reply #12   Apr 1, 2011 10:41 am
A piece of 10 to 12" od Stainless Steel pipe would be VERY expensive and not easily found I suspect.
borat

Reply #13   Apr 1, 2011 1:55 pm
carlb wrote:
A piece of 10 to 12" od Stainless Steel pipe would be VERY expensive and not easily found I suspect.

I don't think so.  

Put the word in at a few scrap yards and/or go take a look to see what they have.  If you live in an area that has any type of mills, power plants etc.  that stuff is pretty common.  Might have to wait a bit to get exactly the right size but it''s out there and from a scrap yard it's fairly cheap.  Might cost a few bucks to have it cut though.
bus708

Reply #14   Apr 24, 2011 11:31 pm
Why not just mount a bigger impeller?
This message was modified Apr 24, 2011 by bus708
friiy

Reply #15   Apr 25, 2011 12:00 am
My Cousin has a Exxon and BP refinery in town.  

-----You should see his stainless luggage racks and cargo holders on his old Toyota Landcruiser that he built from scrap..

Friiy

JimmyM

Reply #16   May 6, 2011 7:15 am
Denis wrote:
Jimmy can you tell us wich city you are in, I notice that you login multiple IP address from maine to New-york to Massachusset. Thanks

Sorry, Denis. Missed your post.
I live in Mass (Boston/Metro-West Area), but the company I work for is based in Maine and some times I connect from there. I also have family in New York and a co-worker that I occasionally visit.
This message was modified May 6, 2011 by JimmyM
Replies: 7 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42